• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Classic Cover" pulps
1 1

103 posts in this topic

@jimjum12: Don't get me wrong, I LOVE 50's SF pulp covers.  I have a full set of 50's Planet Stories and probably over half the 50's issues of Starting Stories and Famous Fantastic Mysteries.  I was just specifically questioning one year of one title having 3 of 6 issues get the classic designation.  :foryou:

On 6/9/2024 at 8:52 AM, OtherEric said:

Here I must respectful disagree.  There are definitely lots of classic pulp covers through the 40's and 50's as well.  

I fully concur. Classic is classic. Problem is, with so many pulps coming out of the woodwork lately, there are so much many of us have never seen. Seems like there as many or more classic pulp covers than comic covers. They just have to be seen to be deemed as such. 

On 6/9/2024 at 9:00 AM, Darwination said:

I'm not giving early pulps more weight regarding classic status.  At this point, they are all getting on 70 to 120 years old, so seniority be damned. You could make an argument, I suppose, that some of the classically trained artists were more at their peak early on, but I'm not buying it. "Firsts" and such make for keys, but I really, really hate first appearance type of focus in comics collecting.  So some character gets in the last panel, and now this comic is defacto chased by generations of fanboys? Please. Also, I'd prefer some of the moronic Overstreet type notations get skipped.  I can see it's a bondage cover, just call it classic (if it is indeed classic).  "Flamethrower Cover?" FFS

I really like Holiday covers. Seem to be a lot less than comics. Unfortunately, most do not share my obsecession. Some real classic pulp holiday covers. 

On 6/9/2024 at 8:36 PM, Cushing Fan said:

A couple more CGC designated classes pulp covers.

1000013770.jpg

1000013771.jpg

1000013772.jpg

1000013773.jpg

1000013774.jpg

No

Yes

No (and I've never even seen this cover applauded or reprinted as a fine example unless I'm mistaken)

Maybe.  DFW is tough.  Not many DFW covers have gotten ample consideration, maybe because there's so many of them.  There's some great ones, though, and it's a very underappreciated pulp on many levels.

Yes.  Maybe a slightly controversial take, as there are some traditionalists that I doubt would give classic status to any FFM covers.  Because it's a reprint pulp?  Because it's so late?  I dunno, but I think there are a *number* of classic FFMs.

On 6/9/2024 at 10:33 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Two more covers...

1000013776.jpg

1000013775.jpg

I like both but No and

No.

I swear I'm on the lenient side of all this, too (shrug)

Edited by Darwination

On 6/7/2024 at 6:36 PM, Darwination said:

I'll drop a terribly unpopular opinion here.  Schomburg is *incredibly* overrated.  The ridiculous Timely war scene covers the fanboys fawn over?

Who you callin' a fanboy?