• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Classic Cover" pulps
2 2

133 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It's been mentioned in several threads in the pulp forums that CGC seems to be generous with the "Classic Cover" designation on slabbed pulps.  I'm starting this thread for two related reasons:  To start cataloging which pulps are actually getting the "Classic Cover" designation, and to discuss which ones actually deserve the label, whether or not CGC labels them as such.   I'll update the list as we see slabs with the designation.

Books that have received a "Classic Cover" notation from CGC:

Famous Fantastic Mysteries #41 (v7 #5) August 1946 ("Classic skull cover")

Famous Fantastic Mysteries #64 (v11 #5) June 1950 ("Classic robot cover")

Fantastic Adventures #97 (v12 #7) July 1950 ("Classic hound cover")

Ghost, Super-Detective #1 (V1 #1) January 1940

Mystery Novels and Short Stories #2 (v1 #5) December 1939 ("Classic torture wheel cover")

Planet Stories #10 (V1 #10) Spring 1942

Spicy Detective Stories #87 (V15 #3) July 1941 ("Classic good girl cover")

Spider #81 (V21 #1) June 1940 ("Classic bondage cover")

Startling Stories #60 (V20 #3) January 1950 ("Classic robot cover")

Startling Stories #61 (V21 #1) March 1950 ("Classic good girl witch cover")

Startling Stories #64 (v22#1) September 1950 ("Classic girl in flames cover")

Unknown #1 (V1 #1) March 1939

Edited by OtherEric

On 6/7/2024 at 2:53 PM, Sarg said:

Schomburg was a great artist. But only a few of his covers are "classic."

In reality, there are fewer than 50 pulp covers that deserve the "classic" designation, and these are ones that have been singled out for excellence by the pulp collecting community over the course of decades. Amazing Stories' "Skylark in Space" is a classic, not because it is visually arresting, or wildly lurid, or has bosomy, semi-nude women in bondage. What makes it classic is that pulp collectors singled it out for distinction from very early on, it is the first (or one of the first) visualizations of a man flying, and has been reproduced in books about pulps, pop culture, and science-fiction for a long, long time as being an archetypal sci-fi pulp image. 

Thank you for explaining far better than I could why the August 1928 Amazing is a classic cover, above and beyond it simply being on a famous issue.

I'm not sure the number of classic covers is quite as low as 50, but part of my point in starting this thread is to tease out which ones actually deserve the title.  The Batwoman Weird Tales is perhaps the only other one I would say with 100% certainty qualifies, and I can think of quite a few others that I would include.  But I had never even seen the Spicy Detective cover before today that I recall, and I think I'm informed enough about pulps that I should at least recognize any cover with the designation, even if I don't agree with it.

I'll drop a terribly unpopular opinion here.  Schomburg is *incredibly* overrated.  The ridiculous Timely war scene covers the fanboys fawn over? Sure they're busy and detailed but artful? I much prefer the simple and classic composition of some of his Astrology covers or some of his covers for Pines.

I happily concede this Amazing as a classic because it's iconic and a famous first.  Is it good, though?🤔

There's pulp covers that get classic status just for covering a famous issue, fair enough, but it's kind of an easy in.

On 6/7/2024 at 7:36 PM, Darwination said:

I'll drop a terribly unpopular opinion here.  Schomburg is *incredibly* overrated.  The ridiculous Timely war scene covers the fanboys fawn over? Sure they're busy and detailed but artful? I much prefer the simple and classic composition of some of his Astrology covers or some of his covers for Pines.

You could be skinned alive for saying that over in GA.  :screwy:  Best to get it out of your system right here. (thumbsu

On 6/7/2024 at 8:06 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Just recently picked up my first pulp for my collection and it is a designated classic cover 😀 

1000013659.jpg

On 6/7/2024 at 2:01 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

img329.jpg

Classic as it gets