• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Classic Cover" pulps
2 2

152 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2024 at 10:59 PM, dickymoe74 said:

Not sure if this cover is considered a classic cover by CGC.  But this one is considered a classic cover by me................

Detective Book Magazine classic cover.jpg

This is a "Great" cover by Gross in my book, but I don't think any OG pulp collector would consider a single Detective Book cover as "classic", only us crime mag guys. Just ask @PopKulture hm

On 6/29/2024 at 2:34 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I was grateful when Girasol published good facsimiles though, and bought a few. I'm not allergic to this paper ('pulps' become 'slicks'!). Would the originals of these be considered classic covers I wonder?

I'll post a few, let the jury decide!

Spicy Detective Stories Dec. 1935 Vol. 4 No. 2.jpg

Girasol reprinted a ton of "Great" covers. "Batman" i'd call "classic"

On 6/30/2024 at 2:08 PM, Sarg said:

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if CGC declared that "The Wicked Flea" cover of Weird Tales (October, 1925) was classic.

The designation is now meaningless. 

Question to the CGC upper management...could there possibly be an online vote by collectors as to what pulp/comic issues we believe are actually classic and get that put on the label? hm

On 6/30/2024 at 7:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

I would be happy to present any info regarding this to upper management.  No promises but, it can't hurt to try.    

Thank you so much Mike for passing this along. As some members mentioned here, there are certain covers that the collecting community have considered classic which have not been recognized by CGC and it would be great public relations if the collecting community would be allowed to have a say.