• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most expensive book you've actually read?
2 2

59 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2024 at 4:30 PM, MattTheDuck said:

This is the second most-expensive book I have, purchased here on the Boards, that I've read.  The most expensive is a slab. If some of my books were of higher grade/quality (like FF #48) it'd be them instead.

ASM - 3.jpg

That was the first Marvel comic I ever bought off the rack. I read it to bits…

On 6/8/2024 at 10:16 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Action Comics 1 at a Chicago CGC forum dinner.

Slabbed and up for sale now. :(

Posted (edited)

I bought off the rack and read Hulk #s 180 and 181, which thirty years later were graded 9.6 each, with the former reaching 9.8 after I sold it.  A Strange Tales #110 that I bought from Marnin Rosenberg in the days before CGC and read slabbed out as a 9.0, and went for good money.  The same for mid-grade copies of X-Men #1 and Journey Into Mystery #83, along with a high grade copy of JIM #85 and one of ASM #14 that graded 9.4.

Edited by namisgr

I've read a Bloodstrike #1, AND #2. 

Couldn't afford #3. :sorry:

I read a coverless Superman #1 back in the late 80s. It wasn't mine, it belonged to a coworker of my Dad's. He knew I was into comics and he brought it into work with him one day when I was there and just let me look through it for some reason. I remember him telling me it was worth 500 dollars so be careful with it.

As far as comics I own, I guess my copy of Suspense Comics #11? I don't know what my most valuable comic is, maybe that one.

On 6/7/2024 at 1:50 PM, shadroch said:

Whats the most expensive book you've actually read?

I guess it might depend - most expensive when it was read, or most expensive now?

I mean, I'm pretty sure I read my Amazing Fantasy #15 when I bought it - 30+ years ago when I paid $300 for it. But I've probably paid more for something I've read since then.

Probably one of my early raw ASM issues (#4 or 14) or my Hulk #180 or 181 (depending on which camp you fall into :baiting:).

On 6/10/2024 at 8:48 PM, shadroch said:

I'd think it would be obvious, but there are no wrong answers. 

Agreed on the latter, but not on the former.

It would really depend on what meaning one puts on the question. I very much doubt I would pull out my Amazing Fantasy #15 to read now - it's a lower grade (2.0-2.5 probably) book that I would be worried about damaging further, when there are other options for me to reread what is in there if I wanted to.

On 6/7/2024 at 11:07 PM, rumrunner71 said:

Xmen 1, just this year. Picked it up raw from my LCS.

Although some of my textbooks from undergrad felt like they could be in the running:S 

Don’t give CGC any ideas or we will be seeing a new tier for textbooks and slabbed Calculus 9.8 books on the next Heritage Auction.