• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

34 posts in this topic

WTF is going on with this title? Has #5 come out yet? I'm thinking this is some cheap ploy to have the last 2 issues released right before the movie comes out. BTW, the last I heard, the movie is titled "The League".

WTF is going on with this title?

I'll ask you the same thing. Never heard of it (jeeze - no wonder - it is 21st century! grin.gif ) but the title itself is intriquing and rather eloquent. Is this the same Moore that did those great Swamp Thing issues? (pardon my obvious ignorance. Just so much time in a day!)

I'll ask you the same thing. Never heard of it (jeeze - no wonder - it is 21st century! ) but the title itself is intriquing and rather eloquent. Is this the same Moore that did those great Swamp Thing issues? (pardon my obvious ignorance. Just so much time in a day!)

Oh pov, you're missing out on a great modern comic. Yes, it's written by the same Alan Moore who wrote those fabulous Swamp Thing issues. It's not an ongoing series, but a 6-issue limited series. The first series came out a couple of years ago (it's collected in a trade paperback & I highly recommend it). The current series is up to issue 4, but there's been long delays between issues 3 & 4, and now 4 & 5 (that's why I started this thread; to express some frustration). The first series had some of the best comics I've read in a long time. Alan Moore is just brilliant, but you don't need me to tell you that........ laugh.gif

Thanks Bachelor. I should be able to find the TPB at the ocn tomorrow! Looking forward to a good modern read.Sometimes those 50's horror books make you sneeze! ::looking for the AH-CHOO emoticon::

No problemo bud! LMK what you think after you're read it!

calvinsneeze.gif

It's the curse of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...

The exact same thing happened to volume #1, I believe issue #5 came out about 9 months after issue #4...

I was dumbfounded that issues #1 - #4 of this volume actually came out on time...

Issue #3 of volume 1 came out in May 2000, issue #4 in December...Issue #5 in June...

That's three issues in over a year.

Being a Planetary fan (waiting on the new issue for over 14 months now) as well as a LOEG fan, patience has become second nature to me frown.gif

Pov, just to further whet your pre-WonderCon appetite--

The premise of Alan Moore's League is that all the fictional characters of Victorian literature are real and many have now teamed up. There's a web-based extensive cross-reference to all the literary allusions contained in the comic. Over the course of the 2 miniseries, you can expect to see characters from HG Wells, Bram Stoker, Verne, Conan Doyle, ERB, and many others. Part of the fun is in figuring out who is who, so I'll not spoil it any further.

My advice is to read the TPB before the movie hits.

The movie is one of those with rumors of a troubled set, including near-legendary feuds between the director and Sean Connery. It might well blow, despite a screenplay by comics writer James (Starman) Robinson. One of the things Robinson did (may have been required to do) was include a grown Tom Sawyer into the mix to help American-ize it.

But the Alan Moore originals are (as BOC rightly states) highly highly recommended!

Cheers,

Z.

The movie is one of those with rumors of a troubled set, including near-legendary feuds between the director and Sean Connery. It might well blow, despite a screenplay by comics writer James (Starman) Robinson. One of the things Robinson did (may have been required to do) was include a grown Tom Sawyer into the mix to help American-ize it.

from that perspective, I think it gets worse: one piece I read stated that Tom Sawyer saves the day and is the LEADER of the group...

This is one of my current favorite reads. Your right about the long wait between issues. I think the bump issue has some affect on the extra time between #4 & #5. But your right, this time it seems longer. Probably because of the movie. And I can't wait to see this flick. One thing about LXG that I really like about the comic is the super cool cover art. And what about those crazy old adds on the inside covers. Ya'd probably get yourself arrested if ya sold some of that stuff today. Anyone looking for a new comic to read/collect should check out LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN. You won't be disappointed. Except for the long wait between issues.

was that sarcasm? sounded like sarcasm...I think that was sarcasm.

Im not expecting too much (box-office-wise) even given the cast, budget and James Robinson's involvement. I dont think todays kids/movie-goers really ever like period superhero flicks. What makes them "cool" is too limited for kids: All the quaint old-science workarounds are too passe for them. Think 'Wild Wild West'-type machines---yecchh. Cool CGI---but ultimately uncool mechanical stuff.

If you mean "sarcastic sarcasm sarcastically expressed" you may!

Actually >koffjerkkoff< I meant to say "sarcastic sarcasm stated sarcastically"... but I had a minor omission! Better than one of Greggy's emissions, I would say! blush.gif