• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(Investment) really low grade but with a remaining part of cover rather than coverless
1 1

20 posts in this topic

So recently i started to look for coverless books and the fact is that they re really few opportunities to get some online... probably people who have some don't even think to sell it because it's worthless or maybe prefer to keep them because if you have keys issues it's cool to just own the book and you will never get it for cheaper than the copy you have... 

So maybe here is my tought... why not rather buy books who still have at least a remaining part of the cover or the cover detached this way it will be easier to find books AND NOW COME THE THE PRINCIPAL SUBJECT: Will be much more attractive for buyer in a few case where I want to resell it a day? What do you think?

Edited by BA773

You can always buy books and then rip the cover off (thumbsu

On 6/16/2024 at 9:32 AM, s-man said:

You can always buy books and then rip the cover off (thumbsu

I changed a bit the subject of the thread... 

Rip off is just throw out money if you pay a good tip for the condition... however as I mentioned in my edited post buying detached cover could be good if we re reader, coverless collector but still want to buy for investment.

Posted (edited)

Here an exemple: 

A coverless flash 123 could probably worth 100$ idk really... 

So maybe it worth to spend just a few more to get a totally ripped cover but still have a cover like this (on the investment side) this one is listed for 170$ but if the book continue to improve over years it could be better to just spend these little 70 in more now. What do you think?

Screenshot_20240616_093356_eBay.thumb.jpg.c991bc649781a754d9bfcb0b2a411ceb.jpg

Inside perfect >Screenshot_20240616_093845_eBay.thumb.jpg.277eec9674b174073e8a95e3c514bbd1.jpg

Edited by BA773

That Flash 123 cover still has good presentation and would be very appealing to low grade collectors. 
The hard to love ones are remaindered books, or really destroyed covers like these:

IMG_1311.thumb.jpeg.b57edc56a739977c95db33d02cea981b.jpeg

IMG_1435.thumb.jpeg.565a6255176ab932fcca6de7cd924c92.jpeg

I’m considering getting reproduction covers and sliding them under the partial originals. 

On 6/16/2024 at 7:37 AM, KirbyJack said:

That Flash 123 cover still has good presentation and would be very appealing to low grade collectors. 
The hard to love ones are remaindered books, or really destroyed covers like these:

IMG_1311.thumb.jpeg.b57edc56a739977c95db33d02cea981b.jpeg

IMG_1435.thumb.jpeg.565a6255176ab932fcca6de7cd924c92.jpeg

I’m considering getting reproduction covers and sliding them under the partial originals. 

I have bumped into a few remaindered books over the years. As long as only the title is cut off and art is unaffected, I can sometimes live with them. Yeah, I’ve slid repro covers under the remains of the original. I have always been a buyer of opportunity. For the right price, I can put up with a lot of defects. 

On 6/17/2024 at 9:38 AM, Robot Man said:

I have bumped into a few remaindered books over the years. As long as only the title is cut off and art is unaffected, I can sometimes live with them. Yeah, I’ve slid repro covers under the remains of the original. I have always been a buyer of opportunity. For the right price, I can put up with a lot of defects. 

Is this one good enough? As I was tempted, but idk the general consensus? Probably the only way I could afford the book otherwise :shy: 

image.png.9e93e0464e06b610f252fcbb83aee2f5.png

I’m by no means a dealer but I do watch many hours of IG livestream comic sales every week and just from those shows  I see people sell books in every condition imaginable. Yes, sometimes that means a key that is coverless or missing a decent portion of the cover. But, and this is purely anecdotal evidence just from what I’ve observed, those books are not an easy sell no matter how desirable a key. You’re already trying to sell books to a very small population willing to spend say $10k+ on a comic book, the amount of people looking to spend maybe a bit less for book with missing/fake cover is even smaller. 

On 6/17/2024 at 7:51 AM, Cman429 said:

I’m by no means a dealer but I do watch many hours of IG livestream comic sales every week and just from those shows  I see people sell books in every condition imaginable. Yes, sometimes that means a key that is coverless or missing a decent portion of the cover. But, and this is purely anecdotal evidence just from what I’ve observed, those books are not an easy sell no matter how desirable a key. You’re already trying to sell books to a very small population willing to spend say $10k+ on a comic book, the amount of people looking to spend maybe a bit less for book with missing/fake cover is even smaller. 

Yep. Usually the folks that want books like that are completists that need parts. The key to buying that stuff is to resist the urge to pay too much for it. I bought a large collection of early GA coverless and parts. They were very cheap. Had a lot of fun going through them and figuring out what they were. Got a few real big book suprises. They just have to be priced right though.

Not that great of an “investment” though, just enjoyable. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 6/17/2024 at 10:59 AM, Robot Man said:

Yep. Usually the folks that want books like that are completists that need parts. The key to buying that stuff is to resist the urge to pay too much for it. I bought a large collection of early GA coverless and parts. They were very cheap. Had a lot of fun going through them and figuring out what they were. Got a few real big book suprises. They just have to be priced right though.

Not that great of an “investment” though, just enjoyable. 

I've got a Showcase 22 which is missing the cover and a couple wraps and I've always been curious on the best way to sell it.  It has most of the Green Lantern portion of the book other then the inside splash page (and of course the cover).  I don't expect to get big bucks for it but even a coverless copy if worth a decent amount since its a true key book.  I could get the Green Lantern pages slabbed and sell them separately but I don't think it's that valuable a book to entice high enough prices to justify the slabbing fees.  For the time being I just enjoy owning a Showcase 22 even though it's ratty.

On 6/17/2024 at 11:19 AM, 1Cool said:

I've got a Showcase 22 which is missing the cover and a couple wraps and I've always been curious on the best way to sell it.  It has most of the Green Lantern portion of the book other then the inside splash page (and of course the cover).  I don't expect to get big bucks for it but even a coverless copy if worth a decent amount since its a true key book.  I could get the Green Lantern pages slabbed and sell them separately but I don't think it's that valuable a book to entice high enough prices to justify the slabbing fees.  For the time being I just enjoy owning a Showcase 22 even though it's ratty.

If you have the coupon page, my friend is looking to marry his book with coupon cut out. Not sure on value

On 6/17/2024 at 8:19 AM, 1Cool said:

Somebody out there is probably in need of a center fold…

On 6/17/2024 at 11:49 AM, Robot Man said:

Somebody out there is probably in need of a center fold…

But at what cost?  I was thinking about throwing the whole thing up for $200 and see if there are any takers and then going the auction for a $200 min but I've been lazy about try to sell my one incomplete book.  I don't have any comparables so is $200 too cheap? 

On 6/16/2024 at 9:38 AM, BA773 said:

Here an exemple: 

A coverless flash 123 could probably worth 100$ idk really... 

So maybe it worth to spend just a few more to get a totally ripped cover but still have a cover like this (on the investment side) this one is listed for 170$ but if the book continue to improve over years it could be better to just spend these little 70 in more now. What do you think?

Screenshot_20240616_093356_eBay.thumb.jpg.c991bc649781a754d9bfcb0b2a411ceb.jpg

Inside perfect >Screenshot_20240616_093845_eBay.thumb.jpg.277eec9674b174073e8a95e3c514bbd1.jpg

Lol no surprise this one been sold 1 day after I noticed it, I even suppose it was bought by someone who seen it on the thread 

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2024 at 5:54 PM, 1Cool said:

But at what cost?  I was thinking about throwing the whole thing up for $200 and see if there are any takers and then going the auction for a $200 min but I've been lazy about try to sell my one incomplete book.  I don't have any comparables so is $200 too cheap? 

Coverless but complete, Quality Comics are asking 579, this is probably a bit too much if I consider the prices of this company in overall, so if you r one have some missing pages... maybe try to start at 400 and if it not sell... put down the price slowly month after month 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386941440694?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=MDUNYfjST3O&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ffh0bp_9r56&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by BA773

On 6/17/2024 at 11:19 AM, 1Cool said:

:whistle:

Was that part of the "Alex" collection?

-bc

On 6/17/2024 at 4:25 PM, bc said:

:whistle:

Was that part of the "Alex" collection?

-bc

Yep - I think it's probably the only book from that collection still in my possession.  I ended up throwing a bunch of the more common coverless book in when people bought books from my sales thread on the message boards.  It's still cool to say I have a Showcase 22 - makes me a big time dealer :) 

On 6/17/2024 at 10:28 PM, 1Cool said:

Yep - I think it's probably the only book from that collection still in my possession.  I ended up throwing a bunch of the more common coverless book in when people bought books from my sales thread on the message boards.  It's still cool to say I have a Showcase 22 - makes me a big time dealer :) 

I cry just to think about this poor coverless thrown into the abyss :cry: I would have been so happy to pay for them...