• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No comment read on the ASM #129 pages that just surfaced?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2024 at 11:16 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I did say I barely consider myself "knowledgeable" about Romita art. lol

We've all done it, Dr B. I didn't know how to pronounce his name properly until I hit 50 :eek:

On 6/20/2024 at 11:16 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Even less so about Andru. :facepalm:

There's a club around here somewhere for our Ross. @Spider-Variant's graphics are worth the price of admission alone :)

On 6/20/2024 at 5:51 PM, delekkerste said:

While I wasn't told outright that it was a forgery, speaking to one of the principals about the matter fairly recently, and his very rueful demeanor talking about this piece, I'm pretty sure that it was (very quietly) determined to be a forgery and I'm going with that. :fear: 

Yowch.    It does look a bit weird even in the photos that were publicly shared.   But man… ouch.    If Vinny and Fish purchased it, that’s not a good day at the office.   Bummer.

On 6/21/2024 at 3:03 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

We've all done it, Dr B. I didn't know how to pronounce his name properly until I hit 50 :eek:

There's a club around here somewhere for our Ross. @Spider-Variant's graphics are worth the price of admission alone :)

Thanks Steve!

On 6/21/2024 at 10:35 PM, Spider-Variant said:

That Xerox above was from the Hunt family and @Lee B. shared many of them over in the Ross Andru thread before they went it for auction.  Very appreciative of that Lee!

I'm not sure Dave Hunt would want it known that he did an insufficiently good job of inking Andru's pencils. 

On 6/24/2024 at 3:46 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I'm not sure Dave Hunt would want it known that he did an insufficiently good job of inking Andru's pencils. 

Do you know that Dave generally only inked the backgrounds on the ASM books, with Frank Giacoia or Mike Esposito inking the main characters?  Dave apparently would make photocopies of his partial inks when he was working in the Marvel Bullpen side-by-side with Giacoia and Esposito.  It is interesting to see Andru's pencils in these vintage photocopies.  If, on the other hand, you knew all this and think that Dave's background inks were insufficient, I beg to differ and suggest you check out the backgrounds in the later books where Esposito provided complete inks for Andru's pencils.  There's a clear difference, and I prefer the art with Dave's contributions.

On 6/24/2024 at 1:44 PM, Lee B. said:

Do you know that Dave generally only inked the backgrounds on the ASM books, with Frank Giacoia or Mike Esposito inking the main characters?  Dave apparently would make photocopies of his partial inks when he was working in the Marvel Bullpen side-by-side with Giacoia and Esposito.  It is interesting to see Andru's pencils in these vintage photocopies.  If, on the other hand, you knew all this and think that Dave's background inks were insufficient, I beg to differ and suggest you check out the backgrounds in the later books where Esposito provided complete inks for Andru's pencils.  There's a clear difference, and I prefer the art with Dave's contributions.

I couldn't agree more with Lee.  Compare ASM 134 to 173.  Day and night.  I loved Dave Hunt's work on this run.

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 6/21/2024 at 11:41 AM, Spider-Variant said:

I track the sighting of Ross Andru artwork by capturing a scan or photo from wherever I find it online.  Things usually change very slowly, except when events like the Ross Andru Artist edition occur.  I'm sure (well, at least I am wishful) there is a lot more art out there by Ross from ASM, but this is what I have captured over the last several years (I lost my original list in the great computer crash of 2015).

From Amazing Spider-Man 129, I have seen scans/photos of pages 3, 10, 15, 16, 18, 26, and 32.  So, 7 out of the 19 pages for 37% of the entire issue being confirmed to still exist.  This is slightly higher than the 35% for all Andru ASM pages.

My complete breakdown (only interiors because Ross didn't pencil many of the covers) per graph below:

image.thumb.png.da9b4df26bac5bf29ecb1f367044d257.png

That's just nerdy AF. I love it! :luhv:

On 6/24/2024 at 4:44 PM, Lee B. said:

Then Giacoia's inks were subpar. 

On 6/25/2024 at 9:48 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Then Giacoia's inks were subpar. 

I actually thought Giacoia did a pretty good job on Andru's pencils on these early issues, not sure much on Ross's last year or so.  

Who do you think inked Ross the best?  

I actually feel Ross and Giordano made a great team on Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man and their work together over at DC, after Ross left Marvel.