• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poach thief is on rise
3 3

33 posts in this topic

My last shipment was June 2023 and I haven't updated my membership after I took the renewal down few months ago.

I used to manage the delivery on FedEx website and picked up packages at FedEx location.  It was easy and safe.  CGC thinks differently and requires the direct signature.  It never works for me.

Now the poach thief is on rise.  It's unsafe for all drivers too.  All USPS packages are delivered to PO Box where I can pick them up.  It's much safer than sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/11/entertainment/video/brazen-porch-pirate-moos-cprog-digvid-bdk

Edited by JollyComics

Here's another one where they guy steals the package while the FedEx delivery guy is still on the porch.  The package in the first post contained a phone.  This package contained an Apple watch.  It seems like these crooks know what's in the packages beforehand, which is why they're being so brazen to get them.

In this video, the "porch" pirate steals the package right out of the FedEx drivers hands, then runs back to his BMW for a quick getaway.

What was in the package?  A $1,600 iPad.

Another one where the homeowner is actually at the door to get his package, and the porch pirate snatches it right in front of him.

Can you guess what was in the package?  Six iPhones for the homeowners family.

Posted (edited)

How did they know what are inside the packages?   It may be the inside guys at FedEx that inform the porch thieves before the delivery vans depart FedEx hub for delivering.

Otherwise, they may monitor the orders online and know where the packages will be delivered at.

Edited by JollyComics

On 6/23/2024 at 9:43 PM, JollyComics said:

How did they know what are inside the packages?   It may be the inside guys at FedEx that inform the porch thieves before the delivery vans depart FedEx hub for delivering.

Otherwise, they may monitor the orders online and know where the packages will be delivered at.

My thought is that, in general, they dont know. It's a "pot luck" of sorts. But it only takes a small percentage to make it worth it. Resistance is minimal to none (delivery people will not risk harm in saving someone's package), consequence are minor if any at all.

Criminals are usually dumb, but even they are smart enough to know there are virtually no consequences for their crimes. Cashless bail, police who are "too busy for petty crimes," and laws that require homeowners to retreat instead of defending their property have led to this lawlessness. There was just a story on the local news this morning (in upstate New York) about a scumbag who breaks into homes at night and robs them while the homeowners are sleeping. He has been caught and arrested THREE times in the past month and he's still roaming the streets.

I live in a stand alone home  Krooklyn, NYC and we've had 1 package theft in the 8 or so years my wife has been ordering an absurd amount of stuff. Yes, half the time they throw it on our enclosed porch through a screen opening as we've asked them to (nothing stops a nimble thief from climbing through the screen, but so far nobody has), but the other half they leave it out front. I've had cases of wine sitting out there, sneakers, clothing, boxes of cleaning supplies, etc. I guess no obvious electronics.  

I did have some guy on my porch rummaging around when my wife forgot to lock the porch door. I thought he was the ups guy at first, that was tense, usually when something fishy is going on outside I take a baseball bat with me, but I saw a brown cap and assumed it was UPS and didn't, he tried to charm his way out of it. It turns out he had stolen a pair of sneakers I was giving to a local church anyway for a clothing drive so no great loss. 

Edited by the blob

On 6/24/2024 at 1:10 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Criminals are usually dumb, but even they are smart enough to know there are virtually no consequences for their crimes. Cashless bail, police who are "too busy for petty crimes," and laws that require homeowners to retreat instead of defending their property have led to this lawlessness. There was just a story on the local news this morning (in upstate New York) about a scumbag who breaks into homes at night and robs them while the homeowners are sleeping. He has been caught and arrested THREE times in the past month and he's still roaming the streets.

Yes, NY requires possession of a weapon or some sort of violence in the commission of the burglary to require bail there...I suppose on the plus side, burglars are encouraged not to carry weapons with them when they commit burglaries....As someone tangentially/indirectly in law enforcement, I have no comment on how I feel about the scope of this particular piece of legislation

Edited by the blob