• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Original Book Cover Art Sells for $1.92 Million

94 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2024 at 11:34 AM, delekkerste said:

Amazing, amazing piece. I seconded what a friend said: I'd take this all day long over the DKR #1 cover (and still have money left over). Or, who knows - maybe Jim H. bought it and he doesn't have to choose! lol 

Wonder if the owner will come forward. I think it's the perfect kind of piece for the Lucas Museum and would love to see it displayed there. :wishluck: 

image.thumb.png.643aebae8bd14a3dd9b5e3c263dffefa.png

That's only slightly more than $1,919,000 more than what I just paid for the David Mattingly "Kings in Hell" book cover painting. 

Thanks for sharing, had no idea this was coming up for sale. Will Google around but my first question is what dept handled this?

Was their a pre-auction estimate on this?

Seems JKR's social media profile hasn't dampened the brand at all.

An unknown artist, to me at least, hopefully they were the consignor.

EDIT: 600k estimate, NOT in the artist's hands as it sold before. 106k in 2001 given the 1997 date seems a rather strong price back then doesn't it?

https://hypebeast.com/2024/5/harry-potter-philosophers-stone-cover-art-sothebys-auction

Single owner auction sale: https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2024/the-library-of-dr-rodney-p-swantko

Edited by cstojano

On 6/26/2024 at 11:57 AM, cstojano said:

Thanks for sharing, had no idea this was coming up for sale. Will Google around but my first question is what dept handled this?

Was their a pre-auction estimate on this?

Seems JKR's social media profile hasn't dampened the brand at all.

An unknown artist, to me at least, hopefully they were the consignor.

EDIT: 600k estimate, NOT in the artist's hands as it sold before. 106k in 2001 given the 1997 date seems a rather strong price back then doesn't it?

https://hypebeast.com/2024/5/harry-potter-philosophers-stone-cover-art-sothebys-auction

Single owner auction sale: https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2024/the-library-of-dr-rodney-p-swantko

I don't think 106K back in 2001 was that high, remember Harry Potter has a much bigger fan base. The 4th book had gone on sale the year before, the first film was released that year. Potter mania was everywhere. Either someone or a family member is/was a big fan of books/ film or someone bought it for investment (and it paid off). First editions of the books were going for alot and this is one of a kind.

Edited by Brian Peck

I've always thought Harry looks.about 30 years old in that art, rather than 12. But I do rather like the style. I don't like it $1.9M though, shall we say.

On 6/26/2024 at 7:17 PM, Dr. Balls said:

99.999% of the value in DKR has got to be in recognition, with the other .001% going towards Frank Miller's "Basics of Airbrushing" VHS tape he bought before doing the background to that cover.

:jokealert:

99% of the value of most valuable  illustrations, and even most fine art, is in “the recognition.”    There has to be more than just an image in a vacuum to make people spend more than four figures on something.    There’s got to be a known story / character/ artist / product that the image relates to, something.    Pure image in a vacuum (read : no name artist unpublished illustration) is never going to get people to loosen up their wallets.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:35 AM, delekkerste said:

You never know, but, I suspect that Sotheby's found the most likely buyers (or they found Sotheby's). Maybe we'll learn more when (if) we learn who bought it. 

Agreed - while we can't know for sure, at almost $2m it would at least appear that venue wasn't an issue!

Edited by Bronty

On 6/27/2024 at 6:01 AM, Bronty said:

Agreed - while we can't know for sure, at almost $2m it would at least appear that venue wasn't an issue!

Something tells me Sothebys was the right venue here though can't put my finger on why. As noted above, it was a weird sale, single owner library collection of what appear to be a bunch of obscure books (Golf, An Early Instructional Manual for 7-10k!!) and only two pieces of art. Something tells me the winning bidding didn't have 30 other items on their watchlist for this sale :)

On 6/27/2024 at 8:05 AM, TeddieMercede said:

Potter piece worth every penny, especially long term. 

Agreed. That's going to be a keystone piece of art from this era 100 years from now. Anyone know if the Mary GrandPre pieces for the US editions are around?