• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting my expectations. How does this go ?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For past couple of days I’ve had some Simonson sketches up for sale, with minimal to no interest, discussed with a few of my collecting pals and they reckoned they possibly could be worth 1000-1500 each give or take, so I stuck them up with 1250 Or best offer. They are 6x9 pencil and ink on the inside of his sketchbooks from 2010. A sketch went up on the same group page and sold instantly for 300 , to my eye nowhere near to the  same level as mine. Mines is on the left , the  Thor on the right  sold for 300

am I missing something or have I just set my expectations way to high ?

IMG_6766.jpeg

Edited by Dr_Strange
Missing info

On 7/9/2024 at 6:05 PM, JadeGiant said:

I am not a fan of art within a sketchbook myself. Could be a contributing factor. I don't chase Simonson art so I am not well versed in his market. Nice looking pieces.

I hadn’t considered that. The sketchbooks themselves are numbered and usually go for around 100 with no drawing in them when they do crop up 

I saw your sketches on CAF, they're great.  But I would prefer a standalone sketch.  I don't have a problem with the pricing.  It's just a matter of right time, right place.  Good luck.

On 7/9/2024 at 1:05 PM, JadeGiant said:

I am not a fan of art within a sketchbook myself. 

Same here.

On 7/9/2024 at 1:10 PM, Dr_Strange said:

I hadn’t considered that. The sketchbooks themselves are numbered and usually go for around 100 with no drawing in them when they do crop up 

The art collector that prefers art to be in a portfolio or on the wall, will likely pass on by. They may consider cutting it out, but then the value of the book is diminished and they have to determine what to do with a book with a page cut out. If you are a sketchbook collector, the art may be seen as a bonus or enhancement. If you collect art and not books, it might be seen as a burden or an added expense due to it being in a book that is worth $XX. The other thing to consider is a) Thor > BRB and b) $300 > $1250 (a price point that will attract a lot more buyers)

On 7/9/2024 at 7:26 PM, JadeGiant said:

The art collector that prefers art to be in a portfolio or on the wall, will likely pass on by. They may consider cutting it out, but then the value of the book is diminished and they have to determine what to do with a book with a page cut out. If you are a sketchbook collector, the art may be seen as a bonus or enhancement. If you collect art and not books, it might be seen as a burden or an added expense due to it being in a book that is worth $XX. The other thing to consider is a) Thor > BRB and b) $300 > $1250 (a price point that will attract a lot more buyers)

Think I’ll find my scissors and not tell anyone ;)

On 7/9/2024 at 2:53 PM, Dr_Strange said:

Think I’ll find my scissors and not tell anyone ;)

Please don't take my input as advice - that's just how I look at things as an art collector. YMMV with others

Your BRB sketch is fantastic and if it weren't in a book, I'd have bought it at 1000 and strongly considered at 1250. But in a book (and on a green page) is a dealbreaker for me. 

I still think you'll find a buyer around 1k, but it may take some time. 

Heh. This is my Thor!  I think it kicks the butt of that other Thor, but YMMV. 

I sometimes wonder what it might be "worth."  But the answer is, of course, whatever someone will pay for it.

IMG_0922.jpg.b5165a28c8ed700dfe0f27372e1d49f0.jpg

So, you may have set expectations too high.  It's just very hard to know where to set expectations on singular items like these.  

On 7/9/2024 at 1:10 PM, Will_K said:

I saw your sketches on CAF, they're great.  But I would prefer a standalone sketch.  I don't have a problem with the pricing.  It's just a matter of right time, right place.  Good luck.

Why can't you just rip (or cut) the BRB sketch out of the book? Is the sketchbook worth all that much? 

On 7/9/2024 at 2:33 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Why can't you just rip (or cut) the BRB sketch out of the book? Is the sketchbook worth all that much? 

On 7/10/2024 at 5:42 AM, Dr_Strange said:

A good idea ;)

I agree with @PhilipB2k17 - just trim that thing out neatly and toss the book. I can't speak for everyone, but someone else also pointed out that collectors prefer their art flat and hang-able. I'm in this boat. I only have a couple sketches in my collection, and they are framed, and if I ever got another one - I'd be framing it as well.

However, on the flip side, if I bought a sketch in a book, I'd cut it right out. I don't think the provenance of a sketch is going to be sabotaged if it's removed from it's original content of creation, as long as the art itself isn't damaged.

On 7/10/2024 at 4:12 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I agree with @PhilipB2k17 - just trim that thing out neatly and toss the book. I can't speak for everyone, but someone else also pointed out that collectors prefer their art flat and hang-able. I'm in this boat. I only have a couple sketches in my collection, and they are framed, and if I ever got another one - I'd be framing it as well.

However, on the flip side, if I bought a sketch in a book, I'd cut it right out. I don't think the provenance of a sketch is going to be sabotaged if it's removed from it's original content of creation, as long as the art itself isn't damaged.

If I was the final caretaker of these sketches I probably would just cut them out and frame them, but I think that’s something the final owner should do 

On 7/10/2024 at 10:32 AM, Dr_Strange said:

If I was the final caretaker of these sketches I probably would just cut them out and frame them, but I think that’s something the final owner should do 

Or you can replace the photos in this thread with girls in bikinis, and then trim it out yourself, never telling a single person you did it! lol

On 7/10/2024 at 7:42 AM, Dr_Strange said:

A good idea ;)

Does that back of the art say anything like "Walt Simonson sketchbook" ??  I mean, the art might have a better chance of selling but it might freak out the buyer when checking out the back.

Since this is an open opinion thread, I respectfully dissent removing the art from the book. Let the new owner decide to do that. There is no undo button for that action.

I used to sell a lot of collectibles on ebay. I’m very detailed oriented. In your sales post you don’t show pictures of the book itself. You are targeting art collectors and not “book collectors.” If you show us the entire book, some of the sketches inside, you might entice buyers you wouldn’t have thought about otherwise. Maybe you won’t get the full asking, but maybe a new caretaker?

On 7/11/2024 at 2:16 AM, John E. said:

Since this is an open opinion thread, I respectfully dissent removing the art from the book. Let the new owner decide to do that. There is no undo button for that action.

I used to sell a lot of collectibles on ebay. I’m very detailed oriented. In your sales post you don’t show pictures of the book itself. You are targeting art collectors and not “book collectors.” If you show us the entire book, some of the sketches inside, you might entice buyers you wouldn’t have thought about otherwise. Maybe you won’t get the full asking, but maybe a new caretaker?

I hadn’t considered that either