• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When I buy NM I expect them to be shipped bagged and boarded. Am I wrong?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

One of the larger eBay stores that I decided to give a chance did me dirty. Nothing expensive but I bought about six comics in the $5-$10 each that were NM. Just got them today, three to a bag no boards, just in between cardboard planks.  The whole purpose of ordering NM is the grade, why ship like that? Comics went from what I thought was around 9.8 to an 8 in transit. 

Is it wrong to expect large comic shops to bag and board high grade comics? 

Edited by Blastaar

I've had several large dealers who ought to know better do this to me in the past. On more than one occasion, I've gotten responses that amounted to "condition only matters on books that are worth real money and what you bought isn't."

You purchased a product which was damaged by the shipper's negligent handling. Demand refunds.

On 7/13/2024 at 10:52 PM, Qalyar said:

I've gotten responses that amounted to "condition only matters on books that are worth real money and what you bought isn't."

Condition always tends to matter on books that you care about, regardless of what the market "values" or the seller thinks.

Common sense, and lack of consideration from the other parties involved, once they've got your money. The equation's one-sided.

Just because a comic I buy might be bargain bin material, it doesn't exclude the possibility that the book, the story, the artist, might mean a lot to me.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

I bought one 9.0-9.2 ish book off a seller that came in a padded envelope. No bag, no board, no support whatsoever. It was probably a 7.0-7.5 when it arrived - sooo many spine ticks from the trip.

I only was able to scrape half a refund from the seller, who clearly did not have any idea how to ship books. I will now only buy from sellers who make it clear in the listing that know what they are doing for shipping.

The fact that the seller that shipped me the book only had tea cups, weird dolls, used clothes and picture frames in their listings, and no other comics should have been a huge red flag, but I wasn't paying attention. My take away is to either contact the seller if there's any doubt at all, or only buy from sellers with other comics listed. 

Considering it is Ebay I doubt they were NM to begin with, but that is another topic.

I see many collections where people put two or three comics to a bag and sometimes leave out boards. My best guess is the Ebay seller bought a collection like that and decided to parse out the scraps on Ebay without putting a shred of cash or effort into it. 

On 7/14/2024 at 4:00 PM, Robot Man said:

It shows respect

I concur.