• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA To Grade Comics In 2025
8 8

219 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2024 at 9:18 PM, kimik said:

At the Calgary Expo, Todd told a friend that asked him whether there would be a witness for the autographs he was getting. Todd told him no, he was doing this signing for free for the fans. He also said that if my friend wanted an witnessed signature that he is only doing that through CGC.

Todd would be one of the creators I would try to get exclusivity with for witnessed/certified signatures if I were CGC.

They DID give him a ln official label, so sounds like a bargain...

5166703_Full_Obv.jpg

On 7/21/2024 at 5:15 PM, kimik said:

I am not going to listen to this. Who is that guy and does he know anything about comics?

That Youtuber is 1 of the 9 or 10 children of retired comic mail order/con guru Mark Wilson who used to have a great mail order catalog with GA pedigrees and sealed case of Iron Man 1, 2, Iron Man and Subby 1, Capt. Marvel 1, Capt. America 100, Doc Strange 169.

Has anyone mentioned it's dumb  identifying a copy of Hulk 181 as a "newsstand". They are all newsstand. Sure, a very small number were distributed by Seuling's Sea Gate Distributors (and maybe by 1974 Sea Gate had a couple of competitors) but they were still "newsstand" copies. There is nothing different about the books that Sea Gate sold to comic shops versus those that went through traditional distribution to drug stores, book stands and the rest. Current comic grading companies do not identify comics as newsstand or direct until what - 1978?

On 7/22/2024 at 5:43 PM, Tony S said:

Has anyone mentioned it's dumb  identifying a copy of Hulk 181 as a "newsstand". They are all newsstand. Sure, a very small number were distributed by Seuling's Sea Gate Distributors (and maybe by 1974 Sea Gate had a couple of competitors) but they were still "newsstand" copies. There is nothing different about the books that Sea Gate sold to comic shops versus those that went through traditional distribution to drug stores, book stands and the rest. Current comic grading companies do not identify comics as newsstand or direct until what - 1978?

Lol dumb to label newsstand for a book from 1974, then state that grading companies do the label designation on books 1978 and after?

My cat is thoroughly confused 🙀 ah yes the psa label says newsstand on a hulk 181, I hadn't caught that :shy: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
he clarified

On 7/22/2024 at 6:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol the say that it is dumb to label newsstand for a book from 1974, then state grading companies don't do the label designation until books 1978 and after?

My cat is thoroughly confused 🙀 

Maybe I didn't make my point clearly.  The other grading companies do not use the newsstand designation until sometime in the late 1970's.  So it's dumb to see PSA identify an Incredible Hulk 181 (1974)  a newsstand copy. They were all newsstand copies. Here is CGC's standard:

When does CGC identify a newsstand edition?

Even though almost every comic book sold prior to 1979 was technically a newsstand edition, CGC will only identify a newsstand copy if a direct market edition also exists.

Edited by Tony S

On 7/22/2024 at 7:25 PM, Tony S said:
On 7/22/2024 at 6:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol the say that it is dumb to label newsstand for a book from 1974, then state grading companies don't do the label designation until books 1978 and after?

My cat is thoroughly confused 🙀 

Maybe I didn't make my point clearly.  The other grading companies do not use the newsstand designation until sometime in the late 1970's.  So it's dumb to see PSA identify an Incredible Hulk 181 (1974)  a newsstand copy. They were all newsstand copies. Here is CGC's standard:

When does CGC identify a newsstand edition?

Even though almost every comic book sold prior to 1979 was technically a newsstand edition, CGC will only identify a newsstand copy if a direct market edition also exists.

Edited 1 minute ago by Tony S

Ah I had not caught that on the PSA label, no worries (thumbsu and thanks for clarifying!

Ok, I'm going to say it, I'll say what everyone is thinking, and is afraid to point to the elephant in the room.

Yes the URL boards.psacomics.com is coming to your browser any day now.

:drumroll:

On 7/22/2024 at 8:25 PM, Tony S said:

Tony, do you mean the mock-up a board member made on the previous page? That's not an actual label. Or did I miss something elsewhere?

PSA doesn't have inner wells for their items. Years ago at most if a ticket was oversized it got the equivalent of a ticket comic bag then the slab not harder inner plastic well and it would move around if you tap the side or if it is shipped. They have now gotten WAY better at grading tickets and waiting till the right sized slab was in stock rather than putting everything in a generic one when the other models were out of stock. 

Going on their website and clicking on the photo of the sample slab provided it I could be wrong but it appears to be just like any other of their slabs meaning, no inner well. If I were fortunate enough to own a complete Hulk 181 I'd not want it stored like that and considering the amount of uproar people have at times for a tiny scuff in a inner well, Newton rings, and the label being slightly off with the printing...

I don't see PSA as a real threat in regards to comic grading. In regards to their supposed autographs playing a big role that is to be expected they do authenticate unwitnessed signatures just as JSA does.

However, with the number of facilitators out there and growing to the point it is harder to find a convention without their presence even smaller hotel single ballroom shows that ten to fifteen years ago you would be laughed at if you asked if CGC had a presence. As everyone seems to have their hometown little show appearances or show organizers knowing a guy to call in as a favor to facilitate as well as newer facilitators doing said smaller shows to build their presences, CGC at the staple BIG shows of the year, and the top legends bringing their own facilitators at shows I honestly don't see PSA as a threat to CGC for signature series.

I'm not surprised that PSA is trying this as CGC now has a growing card grading as well as the purchasing of JSA. If I were the smaller grading companies I'd be concerned.

Just my 2 cents.

On 7/23/2024 at 1:29 PM, Sauce Dog said:

So in response to a person not wanting to watch a video, you recommend they watch an EVEN LONGER VIDEO? :D

I wasn't going to comment, I'd reply with a gif that says that, but lol:kidaround:

@Sauce Dog couldn't resist 🤣😉 

"BUT I MADE A VIDEO! !!"

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/23/2024 at 2:29 PM, Sauce Dog said:

So in response to a person not wanting to watch a video, you recommend they watch an EVEN LONGER VIDEO? :D

For the Youtube watching impaired. He's Mark Wilson's son, Comic dealer from the 80's & 90s, His kid now owns CollectorsComics.com and does youtube.  

On 7/23/2024 at 8:54 PM, Kevin76 said:

For the Youtube watching impaired. He's Mark Wilson's son, Comic dealer from the 80's & 90s, His kid now owns CollectorsComics.com and does youtube.  

For once, I am happy to be part of the blissfully impaired.

On 7/19/2024 at 1:08 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

I have two big problems with PSA and i guess many international submiters.

1. They don't help you with the taxes when they send you back the cards. That means that i pay import taxes for my own cards. I don't pay import taxes for my own books when CGC sends them back.

totally agree with number 1. that import tax sucks I've been hit with it on a shipment, back in the day with CGC, but haven't submitted in a while because of the fear of duties. Might have to try my hand again.

On 7/24/2024 at 11:24 AM, Krismusic said:

totally agree with number 1. that import tax sucks I've been hit with it on a shipment, back in the day with CGC, but haven't submitted in a while because of the fear of duties. Might have to try my hand again.

I submit to CGC from Canada and there was only one time I was dinged with fees, and this likely because somewhere along the line someone did something wrong. Probably around a hundred or so other shipments were all fine and duty free. Having said this, FedEx still sees fit to charge us with a $38-$40 fee (depending on exchange rates that day) to process the customs forms. If you are lucky enough to use FedEx shipping each way you get to pay that extra fee twice. 

So Mark Wilson is the president of the comic grading division...

On 7/24/2024 at 1:22 PM, Ryan. said:

So Mark Wilson is the president of the comic grading division...

That makes this make more sense… for those that were confused earlier this is his son, who also is a dealer and runs his own auctions. 

On 7/20/2024 at 8:14 AM, wiparker824 said:

Apparently this is who PSA was consulting, and made sign an NDA… take that for what you will.