• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restore or not to restore
2 2

21 posts in this topic

I have  Star Trek #1 in really good condition could be a 9 except a small tear on bottom back cover bottom corner. Restore or not restore?  

Hello. I am new to all this, so please forgive me if I put this in the wrong place.

I recently bought this from an estate sale. I see the values that Covrprice has listed for this book, but I wanted some skilled eyes to examine it and see if it is worth getting restored and slabbed.   

20240725_101706.jpg

20240725_101712.jpg

20240725_101719.jpg

20240725_101751.jpg

20240725_101725.jpg

20240725_101729.jpg

That is a late Silver Age book (1967) and is not a valuable book, looking at your book you are probably in the FR/GD 1.5 range and the FMV is about $5.00, not worth grading, let alone restoring.

If you want a nicer copy there are plenty around in much better shape for $20.00 - $30.00 on eBay.

My suggestion, bag and board the book and enjoy it as it is.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=superman+196&pubid=&PubRng=

On 7/25/2024 at 7:29 AM, Dbuzz83 said:

Hello. I am new to all this, so please forgive me if I put this in the wrong place.

I recently bought this from an estate sale. I see the values that Covrprice has listed for this book, but I wanted some skilled eyes to examine it and see if it is worth getting restored and slabbed.   

20240725_101706.jpg

20240725_101712.jpg

20240725_101719.jpg

20240725_101751.jpg

20240725_101725.jpg

20240725_101729.jpg

What about this book makes you want to sink hundreds of dollars into restoring and grading it?  Please explain your thinking.  You went to an estate sale, saw this and bought it. Why?  I'm not trying to pick on you, but it seems fairly obvious comics aren't your thing. 

On 7/25/2024 at 9:18 AM, Dbuzz83 said:

Thank you for your advice. I won't make the mistake again, and I apologize for wasting people's time.

It's not about wasting our time. It's more about trying to prevent you from wasting your  money chasing things you don't understand.  

On 7/25/2024 at 12:18 PM, Dbuzz83 said:

Thank you for your advice. I won't make the mistake again, and I apologize for wasting people's time.

No apology necessary, you didn't waste anyone's time. This is the place to ask a question like this. If not here, then where? And welcome to the forum. Hopefully, you'll have many questions about the hobby in the future and we look forward to helping as best as we can. (thumbsu

I saw a book and paid absolutely nothing for it.  I saw a valuation on a pristine copy of the book in the thousands, and thought I might've had something special to add to my small but growing collection.  The last thing I want to do is waste my money or anyone's time. 

If people, such as yourself, feel that I shouldn't be in the hobby because I don't know what I'm doing, I take that advice seriously. 

In other words, I should've done my research before posting about something I should've known more about.  That's the reason for my apology.

I hold no hard feelings towards you or anyone.  I just wanted to clarify that. 

I will strive to be more diligent with my research before I ask questions.

On 7/25/2024 at 1:10 PM, Dbuzz83 said:

I saw a book and paid absolutely nothing for it.  I saw a valuation on a pristine copy of the book in the thousands, and thought I might've had something special to add to my small but growing collection.  The last thing I want to do is waste my money or anyone's time. 

If people, such as yourself, feel that I shouldn't be in the hobby because I don't know what I'm doing, I take that advice seriously. 

In other words, I should've done my research before posting about something I should've known more about.  That's the reason for my apology.

I wouldn't worry about it or be discouraged.  This is a place to ask questions and learn.

Some people may give you a hard time, but there is a ton of knowledge here and people willing to share it. 

On 7/25/2024 at 10:10 AM, Dbuzz83 said:

Where did you see this book valued for thousands of dollars?

On 7/25/2024 at 10:54 PM, shadroch said:

I believe it was CovrPrice.com, which is not exactly reliable and more concerned with selling you a subscription than providing accurate market value.

@STEVE17 for any raw book you have questions about value, using ebay sold listings or 130point is simple and easy, and will have the bonus of visualizing book to price. For graded books GPAnlysis is the go to sight that tracks most* sales (but requires a subscription).

On 7/25/2024 at 9:05 AM, Dbuzz83 said:

Thank you!  I figured it wasn't going to make the cut.  The book only cost me $1.

yup what it is worth.

On 7/19/2024 at 1:24 PM, STEVE17 said:

I have  Star Trek #1 in really good condition could be a 9 except a small tear on bottom back cover bottom corner. Restore or not restore?  

Why are you considering? Is the book a keeper or is it something you will be selling? If selling then you need to know potential buyers prefer unrestored copies of this book (it isn't rare)

Research how much it costs to restore a book. Actually contact a few companies that do this type of work and get a quote. Then armed with the knowledge of the cost of restoration work do the calculation: cost of restoration versus value of book once restored.

Restoration is likely to cost you at least $500.00

On 7/25/2024 at 1:10 PM, Dbuzz83 said:

No sweat buddy. Asking questions is part of the learning process. But the real gems in this hobby can be few and far between...  

On 7/25/2024 at 11:54 PM, shadroch said:

First let me say to the OP...You are certainly not wasting my time, this is what we do (or at least what I do), help each other, we were all new at this at one time and have learned by asking questions and experience (good and Bad), I have been collecting since 1979 and I am still learning everyday,  personally let me say...

Welcome To The Boards!!! 

As far as asking questions, the three things I learned in my 68 years and 40 years as an ASE Auto Service Tech.

1)The only "stupid" question is the one that is not asked.

2)It is easier to answer "stupid" questions than to fix "stupid" mistakes.

3)The first time is an experience, the second time is a mistake.

Having said that, I certainly hope that your first time experience here has not deswayed you from posting again, asking questions and/or collecting/enjoying comic books.

As far as $$$, he may have looked at eBay, there is a BIN CGC NM+ 9.6 and the seller is asking $1050.00, but the shipping is free.