• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipped Wrong Artwork - Trying To Get It Back From Karl Dignam at The Grid Games in Manchester, CT
2 2

105 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2024 at 6:48 AM, thethedew said:

I once had a prominent comic art dealer (you've all heard the name) accidentally send me the wrong piece.

If the dealer you're mentionning is the dealer I think about, the funny thing is, had you kept the cover, he would probably have sold again your Micronauts page without noticing he had already sold it to you... :bigsmile:

On 7/25/2024 at 5:28 AM, Dr. Balls said:

The third day after delivery (July 18), I took notice of my error and reached out to him through Ebay twice and Instagram once

Is there a reason you haven't tried to use that old-fashioned telephone thingy and just call him?

Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2024 at 4:39 PM, tth2 said:

Is there a reason you haven't tried to use that old-fashioned telephone thingy and just call him?

I learned many, many years ago that it’s super easy to be misled, misdirected, or misinformed either in-person or over the phone. I don’t even bother with that anymore, when it gets down to this level of dirtbaggery, it's just a waste of time.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/24/2024 at 8:32 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I learned many, many years ago that it’s super easy to be misled, misdirected, or misinformed either in-person or over the phone. I don’t even bother with that anymore, when it gets down to this level of dirtbaggery, it's just a waste of time.

So, I'm really sympathetic over you sending the wrong art and you trying to get it back, but you lose a bit of my sympathy when you refuse to call him and you haven't even tried eBay customer service, who called the buyer I mistakenly sent a book to and asked him to ship it back on my dime. And, it worked. I mean, why won't you call him at his shop? I don't understand that at all. If I wanted the art back bad enough to post here, I'd certainly exhaust every option to try to get it back.

On 7/26/2024 at 8:01 AM, Michael Browning said:

So, I'm really sympathetic over you sending the wrong art and you trying to get it back, but you lose a bit of my sympathy when you refuse to call him and you haven't even tried eBay customer service, who called the buyer I mistakenly sent a book to and asked him to ship it back on my dime. And, it worked. I mean, why won't you call him at his shop? I don't understand that at all. If I wanted the art back bad enough to post here, I'd certainly exhaust every option to try to get it back.

If nothing else, a call would establish a clear record that the recipient was directly informed of the mistake and what his response was (even if it's non-responsive), to eliminate any possibility of the recipient claiming that he didn't know because he'd never seen the various online contacts.

On 7/25/2024 at 6:01 PM, Michael Browning said:

I've just called an left a message. You're right, I should expend every avenue - and I now have (Ebay doesn't look like it can do much more than what I've done, but they are in the loop). We'll see how that shakes out tomorrow.

On 7/25/2024 at 7:59 PM, Kevin76 said:

Just call and ask for Karl. Once you get him on the phone, he's now on the spot to talk, emails are probably not even being opened and just deleted.  

I thought about that last night after I left the message - I’ll be calling again today and see if I can get him on the phone.

Posted (edited)

And - as I suspected talking with him on the phone - I got a wonderfully woven story about how it was a trade for a customer who liked Poison Elves, but by some crazy happenstance, this had passed through three peoples' hands while no one bothered to look at the page and realize it was not the one purchased. The art is now gone. I don't know the believability of someone trading for original art and never actually looking at it over the course of the deal - so I will conclude this as 1) a cautionary tale of foolish stupidity by Yours Truly and 2) that Karl's story is 10 pounds of BS in a 5-pound bag. 

You win some, you lose some.

Edited by Dr. Balls

That was the best he could come up with? Good gravy!

On 7/26/2024 at 12:58 PM, Dr. Balls said:

And - as I suspected talking with him on the phone - I got a wonderfully woven story about how it was a trade for a customer who liked Poison Elves, but by some crazy happenstance, this had passed through three peoples' hands while no one bothered to look at the page and realize it was not the one purchased. I don't know the believability of someone trading for original art and never actually looking at it over the course of the deal - so I will conclude this as 1) a cautionary tale of foolish stupidity by Yours Truly and 2) that Karl's story is 10 pounds of BS in a 5-pound bag. 

You win some, you lose some.