• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never trust a reptile ....
1 1

74 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2024 at 11:16 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Great minds think of Everett!!!  :idea:  It's my favorite cover in the run and there are some really good ones! 

I believe I first saw it in Crawford’s Encyclopedia of Comic Books, and in black and white at that. It was even more glorious years later when I saw it in color!  :banana:

On 7/20/2024 at 10:21 PM, PopKulture said:

I believe I first saw it in Crawford’s Encyclopedia of Comic Books, and in black and white at that. It was even more glorious years later when I saw it in color!  :banana:

Wow, that's a cool memory! This copy has a funny story to it. Although I haven't been the last 2 years, I was a yearly regular at the Chicago Con since the mid 90s. Well, at one point, Metro would either send me an e-mail or call me, saying they're going to be there, do I want them to bring anything for me to see? This copy JUST went up on their site. I told Frank to put it down for me, I'd pay for it in person in Chicago. I also had a few raw books coming too. So, I buy this copy and maybe 15 minutes later I'm at Ricky's table (Bedrock City) showing him this treasure that I was over the moon to get ... and Vinnie walks up. He sees the book, does a double take, then proceeds to tell me how it's his favorite Everett cover and a Larson to boot ... and he wants to buy it from me!!! I inform him that I just bought it 15 minutes ago from THEM!!! He had NO idea it landed in their inventory!!! He asks how much it was (I think I paid $1550) and Ricky says, "Well heeell Vinnie, give him 2 grand for it" to which Vinnie says, "OKAY!" I decline saying that I just got it and had been searching for a nice copy for a long time. Vinnie then says the standard, "If you ever wanna sell it, PLEASE call me" to which I reply, "Yeah, sure thing, or some equivalent response." I couldn't believe that he didn't even know that they had it!!! That must be the way it is when you have acres of inventory!!! 

On 7/20/2024 at 11:46 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Wow, that's a cool memory! This copy has a funny story to it. Although I haven't been the last 2 years, I was a yearly regular at the Chicago Con since the mid 90s. Well, at one point, Metro would either send me an e-mail or call me, saying they're going to be there, do I want them to bring anything for me to see? This copy JUST went up on their site. I told Frank to put it down for me, I'd pay for it in person in Chicago. I also had a few raw books coming too. So, I buy this copy and maybe 15 minutes later I'm at Ricky's table (Bedrock City) showing him this treasure that I was over the moon to get ... and Vinnie walks up. He sees the book, does a double take, then proceeds to tell me how it's his favorite Everett cover and a Larson to boot ... and he wants to buy it from me!!! I inform him that I just bought it 15 minutes ago from THEM!!! He had NO idea it landed in their inventory!!! He asks how much it was (I think I paid $1550) and Ricky says, "Well heeell Vinnie, give him 2 grand for it" to which Vinnie says, "OKAY!" I decline saying that I just got it and had been searching for a nice copy for a long time. Vinnie then says the standard, "If you ever wanna sell it, PLEASE call me" to which I reply, "Yeah, sure thing, or some equivalent response." I couldn't believe that he didn't even know that they had it!!! That must be the way it is when you have acres of inventory!!! 

Just that recollection makes an already great book even more priceless! 

On 7/20/2024 at 10:53 PM, PopKulture said:

Just that recollection makes an already great book even more priceless! 

It sure does ... and most of the gang was on hand as well ... Billy, Russ and Ricky were all there, all of which knowing how big an Everett fan that I am, seeing me show it by turning down an instant $500 profit!!! In fact, I also got a raw Heroic #8 from Metro at the same time, which I later sold to my buddy Russ. Well, I just got it back a few days ago because he upgraded!!! He mentioned it to me over the phone and was surprised to see that I remembered it in pretty vivid detail ... g/vg, spine roll, tape pull ... he couldn't believe it! I might not remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I can usually remember my old funny books!  lol