• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Tales to Astonish 36 - centerfold partially detached
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Reaching out for help grading this copy of TTA 36.  Note the stain on the cover and that the centerfold is detached at the bottom staple.

Thanks!

MKRl89j.jpeg

tra9Hik.jpeg

oi2dMzS.jpeg

tICYr3c.jpeg

xtVUmOP.jpeg

f2lBVq8.jpeg

6t3gfs1.jpeg

XHSsSVS.jpeg

oBSPMtH.jpeg

g9Pu8nL.jpeg

ktYcHtP.jpeg

TySQoGi.jpeg

jaLfp05.jpeg

CkZVN5Y.jpeg

sikH3TT.jpeg

DILZogm.jpeg

GVGpMY5.jpeg

Interesting, the stamp at bottom of splash page has left a ghost image on the inside cover and that artifact is white unlike the slightly tanned surrounding paper.  I suppose the stamp ink somehow prevented acids leeching from splash page to cover?

Anyhow, very nice copy with plump spine.

8.0 white

On 7/22/2024 at 3:18 PM, scburdet said:

looks to me like a small stain below "TOO", that might cost you on an otherwise higher grade book. 7.0/7.5. On a newer book, I'd call it a 6.5

Yes I noted that stain in the initial post, along with the centerfold being detached at one staple.  Thanks SC!

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2024 at 12:28 AM, southern cross said:

I'm curious about the right hand edge, possible illusion from the photo or maybe, just maybe trimmed on the right hand side.

Wear a long the top and stain so I'm thinking 6.0?

not trimmed (or let me just say I'm VERY confident in the provenance of this book.  But a little ragged and maybe a little rippled (needs a press).  I feel more comfortable with it being a 6.0/5 and that's probably how I'll list/sell it, unless I can do something with the stains etc.  What's the max grade, do you think, with centerfold partially detached?  I just saw an FF 12 on ebay that was an 8.5 with centerfold detached at one staple but not sure how unusual that is

Edited by Corvonie

On 7/23/2024 at 3:08 PM, Corvonie said:

not trimmed (or let me just say I'm VERY confident in the provenance of this book.  

I agree. While I can see where some may be leery of that right edge that does seem to be factory cut atypically when compared to the norm, #1, the book is not size deficient left to right and #2, there would have been ample room for someone trimming it to cut an extra 1/16th to 1/8th inch into the outer margin of pre-chips and eliminate them altogether as long as they're cutting it anyway. Top edge cut is a little wonky too, but I'm sure CGC will blue label it. It looks to be within manufacturing tolerances of the day when the blades started to get dull.