• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's New Universe lives on...
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Sell them a couple hundred at $4 per

they double their money, every body wins 

On 7/24/2024 at 9:49 PM, Point Five said:

... at this random newsstand I passed today on 42nd Street near Grand Central Station. Looks like they raided a dollar box somewhere. I'm not sure if there's a tourist alive on this earth that will pay $9 or $10 a pop for beat issues of D.P 7 and Spitfire and the Troubleshooters. But damn it, there's a chance!

Ahh, NYC. Full of surprises as ever.  :cloud9: 

IMG_1408.thumb.jpg.d06fa874d1cbe2e515680b9d1a89e042.jpg

IMG_1409.thumb.jpg.501f5e35809c8d87196e36e06e2250ba.jpg

My family and I are driving up this weekend to visit family. I'm purchasing every issue ... ... ... maybe. hm

Pffft.  I'm not wasting my dough on 80's drek.  I'm gonna hold out for quality and wait for them to bring out their 90's boxes of Kid 'N Play, Samurai Cat or Hokum and Hex before I write out some checks.

On 7/25/2024 at 8:13 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

Pffft.  I'm not wasting my dough on 80's drek.  I'm gonna hold out for quality and wait for them to bring out their 90's boxes of Kid 'N Play, Samurai Cat or Hokum and Hex before I write out some checks.

Don't knock Hex. I just sold a full run for a very healthy profit last month. People want crapola once in a while.

Plus, my buddy made this...

449382010_493444993194266_6731544638770633848_n.jpg

I was doing monthly shows on Long Island for about a year, and this guy from the city would always show up looking to buy long boxes of dollar / discount books in bulk.  I mean, all of my books are bagged and boarded (even $1 books) - but he did start frequenting other vendors, so... Maybe?

Manhattan newsstands pays some of the highest rent per square foot of any business in the city. It's incredible they would waste such valued space selling stuff like this.  It reminds me of the early 90s, where someone would throw some comics and videos together to disguise that their  main product was weed.

i'd buy one just to see if there is $10 worth of weed in it.

On 7/25/2024 at 10:19 AM, shadroch said:

Manhattan newsstands pays some of the highest rent per square foot of any business in the city. It's incredible they would waste such valued space selling stuff like this.  It reminds me of the early 90s, where someone would throw some comics and videos together to disguise that their  main product was weed.

i'd buy one just to see if there is $10 worth of weed in it.

Seriously! This newsstand is at the corner of 42nd Street and Madison Avenue, and at rush hour the street was mobbed. Hundreds of people were passing by *every minute*. They could do almost literally anything else with the display space and make more money. 

It's the highest profile the New Universe has had since like 1987.

On 7/25/2024 at 9:37 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Don't knock Hex. I just sold a full run for a very healthy profit last month. People want crapola once in a while.

Plus, my buddy made this...

449382010_493444993194266_6731544638770633848_n.jpg

No, no... Jonah Hex is actually pretty good (always wanted Eastwood to play him in a movie).  The "hex" here refers to some forgettable Dr. Strange wannabe from the mind of Clive Barker.

There's a newstand at the union square station and I think he had a long box of books at $5 each. I went through the whole box on the off chance that at that price, nobody ever looked in the box, but yeah, there was nothing decent in there

On 7/25/2024 at 5:01 PM, SeniorSurfer said:

No, no... Jonah Hex is actually pretty good (always wanted Eastwood to play him in a movie).  The "hex" here refers to some forgettable Dr. Strange wannabe from the mind of Clive Barker.

I thought you meant that one.  Confused because DC’s Hex series was an 80s book, and the stories were by Jonah’s main writer, Michael Fleisher, and later on Keith Giffen. 

A consistent enough series, and an attempt at something different for the character.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/25/2024 at 1:56 PM, Darwination said:

I think you should try haggling for fun and see how far you get.

I see the negotiation going down something like this:

"How about $2 each?"
"Yeah, sure."

We can all laugh, but if Marvel suddenly announces a new cinema, TV/Cable, or streaming project featuring D.P.7 we'll all be scrambling for this cannon fodder. And then the race will be on to unload them before the party is over. 

It's happened many times before, from dreck to diamond, then beck to dreck, and it will happen again and again and aga......