• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh my god I don't even have all the issues!!! :(
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Oh my god I don't even have all the issues!!! :cry:

Lol... just realized how it was stupid.

Completism caused me a lot of anxiety over time, I tought I needed all the issues, then I got all the issues but some are not in good condition so I consider that I didn't own them so I need to quickly find another copy to find my hole, and I'm hurry to finish the run so I m gonna overpaid for mess when they are thousand of nice deals on  beautiful books out there...

This morning I just won a book for 100$... why I decided to pull the trigger? Because the books was just so cool, as simple as that, I don't own any other issue from the run and I'm not planning to get other ones until I find some for cheap and if it never happen... it never happen.

BE FREE, you heard it 100 times but I have to repeat it: buy only what you like.

Hope this thread could help some people who have the same problem I had before. 

Just wanted to share my mindset on a collecting question.

Other experiences with it are welcome ;)

On 7/31/2024 at 4:25 AM, buttock said:

Oh, you've got issues. 

As comic collectors we've all got issues xD It's nice to complete mini-series and runs of creators I like. But I have no interest in completing long runs. Titles have serious downs where the art & story goes bad. But some people enjoy collecting that way and I respect that. There are those where OCD is a genuine issue & compels them to get all of the books & everything in mint condition.

Edited by MattrixAlien

I have the completionist curse. But not full blown in that I don't think I will ever own X-Men #1 or all the FF's. I have all the Justice Leagues (and three B&B's), Conan the Barbarian, Marvel Team Up, DC Comics Presents and other small runs. Part of the fun for me is finding the books. 

I do pick "segment runs" and expand at times. Example is FF where I have #170 to #300 and slowly chip away from the 120's to 160's. X-Men is #94 to #310 but I do have about 60+% of the SA issues. 

I need to purge some of the fodder from the last 20 years of newer books... 

I 100% have the curse that you speak of. Have been a completionist since I started collecting again 12 or 13 years ago.

Glad I got the bug when I did I guess, because my obsession left me with some awesome runs, X-Men 1-300, ASM 1-400, FF 1-300, Daredevil 1-300 and a bunch of other bronze titles/runs.

The journey was the fun of it for me, I could keep going with other titles (Iron Man, Avengers, Hulk, etc) but honestly I'm kinda burnt out on it now.

Plus with kids and a wife and all the bills and all that fun stuff, I can't really justify the cost anymore.

So for now I just hold them and continue reading here and there. I kinda had a plan to sell sometime this year but with the way the values have dropped, I'll just wait a few years and hope for somewhat of a market recovery.

All that to say, embrace the madness of that inner voice telling you that you must own every issue haha.