• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Strange Tales #104 - Paste Pot Pete. Marvel Chipping
1 1

12 posts in this topic

It's a tad more severe than chipping, which would mostly affect the front or back covers. All the paper on the covers and pages are chewed away by a living creature, either a bug or small animal, which is why the edges where all the paper is missing has a look like the edge of a stalk of celery that a rabbit has nibbling on.

There are some pre-chips, that is, chips that have not become completely separated from the cover. This is a tough one to grade without the use of a green qualified label that takes the overall condition of the book into consideration aside from the chews. 

Edited by Kirby_Fan

On 7/31/2024 at 5:08 PM, Kirby_Fan said:

It's a tad more severe than chipping, which would mostly affect the front or back covers. All the paper on the covers and pages are chewed away by a living creature, either a bug or small animal, which is why the edges where all the paper is missing has a look like the edge of a stalk of celery that a rabbit has nibbling on.

There are some pre-chips, that is, chips that have not become completely separated from the cover. This is a tough one to grade without the use of a green qualified label that takes the overall condition of the book into consideration aside from the chews. 

Respectfully, are we looking at the same book?  hm

This is classic Marvel chipping, where the damage is limited to the right edge of the front cover.  The back cover and interior pages are unaffected.  CGC has always accounted for Marvel chipping by lowering the book's Universal Grade.  I have never seen an example where CGC dealt with Marvel chipping via a Qualified Grade.  :foryou:

On 7/31/2024 at 9:06 PM, zzutak said:

Respectfully, are we looking at the same book?  hm

This is classic Marvel chipping, where the damage is limited to the right edge of the front cover.  The back cover and interior pages are unaffected.  CGC has always accounted for Marvel chipping by lowering the book's Universal Grade.  I have never seen an example where CGC dealt with Marvel chipping via a Qualified Grade.  :foryou:

Only the top two images appeared on my device. I didn't realize you had a board of some type under the front cover alone. The board blended into the background and it looked like the entire book was chewed through, the paper eaten away from front to back. I just reviewed the rear images and yes, they are chips, agreed. 

On 7/31/2024 at 9:44 PM, scburdet said:

2nd this being classic Marvel chipping. I would call this mild to moderate chipping, so I think 7.0/7.5 would be my semi-educated guess. I haven't had much first-hand experience so take those numbers for what they're worth.

I’m with you SC at 7.0/5, and am only wondering if a book this old can pull an 8 with that much chipping because it’s really pretty flawless otherwise. But I’ve definitely seen early Marvel books in the mid 7s with chipping like this.