• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Collecting 'Philosophy'...
3 3

64 posts in this topic

Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, philosophy is a deep word for what began as an escape from the real world when I was young,,,,,,, I was always a voracious reader,,,,, I began to appreciate the art as I got older,,,,,, I will read anything,,,,,,, comics,shampoo bottles,even the ingredients to my Kraft macaroni and cheese,,,,,,, having trouble with the Overstreet guide though,,,,, hence the reading glasses,,,,,, I guess my philosophy is try to make it last as long as I can,,,,,,, which is why I love my Gold and Silver age,,,,,,, the most,,,,,,, especially when I have weed to smoke,,,,,,,,, laser beams and melting spaceships,,,,,,,OOOOOMMMMMMMM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

On 9/8/2024 at 5:25 PM, cgcsketcherz said:

Philosophies change as time rolls on.

As a kid, it was a half hour to the local Eckerd Drug Store or second hand book store or an hour to ShopRite which very much limited childhood comic buying. Eckerd had the cartoon books, the second hand book store had 1970's/1980's Superman books, and ShopRite had an odd mix.

When I was in high school, a comic book store came to town still a half hour drive but it opened a whole new world. Still went for the Scooby but Marvel Civil War brought me into the Marvel World.

Also started getting some slabs in those years especially when under $20 so as to figure out how to grade. Around college time was my first small time convention and I found out you could actually have an artist for a fee draw for you! In those early years conventions were for artist drawings if affordable and trying to hunt down older Scooby books.

As it was also college/post college and three part time jobs CGC signature series was originally saved for sketch covers due to cost still haunted about not being able to afford signature series for a nice chunk of my Fantastic four silver age books by JOE SINNOTT I might have to do the JSA deal.

Currently I have goals in three different categories.

The never going to complete goals...

#1) Finish up the odd ball Scooby books. 

#2) Slowly build a Fantastic Four Volume I run as far as possible with mid to low mid range and for the big ones coverless and artificial covers (before Marvel actually makes a real movie). As I don't buy slabbed blue anymore they have to be a grade I'm not afraid of dropping the value if it tears when reading. Issue #1 will more than likely be just a single page. 384 / 442 so 58 to go. I prefer newsstands as it reminds me of my childhood. 18 years and counting on this set. 

Signature Series Goals:

#1) Build as far as possible the 1997 Scooby Doo DC series into a signature series set. Always looking for high grade raw ones in the wild for this set. As almost no one besides one lone seller who has a couple signed by the actor who portrayed Shaggy has ever submitted for signature series, this set is built by myself as no known examples exist besides those few odd balls and my submissions. 

#2) Aim for odd ball books to be signature series or the first to be submitted for signature series. (Double covers, newsstands, errors, and so forth).

#3) ONLY buy a blue label book if someone will be able to sign it within the year.

#4) Convert from universal label to signature series 15 out of my last 19 blue label slabs. For the past decade my philosophy has been a blue label book is just a signature series book that hasn't happened yet unless a RARE circumstance like a pedigree. Through facilitators this should theoretically get done in 3 - 10 years with this last box more than likely three years or less BUT sadly Sholly Fisch is eluding me!

#5) Build a master signature series set involving all books Joe Staton worked on (yeah never going to finish but its fun.) I even have the issue of Green Lantern where Joe Staton as a teenager wrote in a fan letter signed by Joe. Nearly gave the seller a nervous breakdown when I told him my plan.20230526_174150.thumb.jpg.16215d9a61bbc43c819523994ee4ba2e.jpg 

Going to a Convention Goal:

#1) At conventions where there is CGC presence, I try to add a new artist for my custom set of Scooby sketches.  

#2) Continue work on the Fantastic Four goal.

#3) When at a convention find a book from my childhood for nostalgia. Original Sonic the Hedgehog series, Disney Adventure Magazine, Archie cartoon comics and so forth.

#4) Buy back copies of the books I needed to sell when I was temporarily let go during the pandemic. Some can't be done as they were signature series but I'm down to a dozen silver age books that is somewhat doable. 

Happy hunting.

Lol ekerd drugstore brought back memories lol a bit like blockbuster for me lol awesome remembering