• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Declares the 'Collection of Ed Savitt Comics' a Major Collection Provenance
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Crazy Ed... now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

My first encounter was at the Pittsburgh Comic Con in 2005 or 2006. Crazy Ed had boxes at his booth that were labelled "Warehouse Find" and I stopped with my wife to check out what he had. There were hundreds of copies of Amazing Spider-Man #328 at $39.95 each. Before I could move on (run away), he stopped me and said that I shouldn't pass on any of these books. He told me that after the con, he was returning to his home base in Hollywood and would be selling them to his movie star customers whom he sold comics to all the time. I was passing up on a golden opportunity. He then pulled out one of the issues and began reading it to my wife and I using an array of voices for Spidey, Hulk, etc. He was extremely bummed out when I still didn't buy a copy after such an impressive sales pitch. Crazy Ed.

Despite such a unique, unforgettable experience in Pittsburgh, whenever I saw his booth at any subsequent con I attended, I chose to avoid him. And I used to see all kinds of boardies digging through his stuff. Maybe I just didn't get him. But I have not seen any trace of him in well over a decade until now.

I only had one experience with Crazy Ed, and it was very different. It was at a show in Philly. I'd decided to finish up my Avengers run and needed about 20 books from 50 to 100. I'd bought one book from another dealer and was passing by Ed's booth when he saw my purchase. We started talking, and I showed him my list. He had several, and we started negotiating on about six of them. We were about $100 apart when he made a crazy proposal. He had a nicer copy of the book I'd just bought .

I'd paid $40 for the book, and he offered to give me $75 for it and throw in the better copy for free if we met halfway on the larger lot. He, in effect, took $75 off and gave me a free $50 book on a $400 purchase. I thought he was nuts, but he talked me into a $400 sale when I'd intended to bypass his booth.  I was happy, and he had a sale.

On 8/18/2024 at 6:08 PM, shadroch said:

I only had one experience with Crazy Ed, and it was very different. It was at a show in Philly. I'd decided to finish up my Avengers run and needed about 20 books from 50 to 100. I'd bought one book from another dealer and was passing by Ed's booth when he saw my purchase. We started talking, and I showed him my list. He had several, and we started negotiating on about six of them. We were about $100 apart when he made a crazy proposal. He had a nicer copy of the book I'd just bought .

I'd paid $40 for the book, and he offered to give me $75 for it and throw in the better copy for free if we met halfway on the larger lot. He, in effect, took $75 off and gave me a free $50 book on a $400 purchase. I thought he was nuts, but he talked me into a $400 sale when I'd intended to bypass his booth.  I was happy, and he had a sale. Back in school, I couldn't stand reading and writing those tedious essays. My friends introduced me to an amazing website https://chatgpt.com/g/g-a0ULgFcuZ-essay-helper that made learning so much interesting. Because of it, I actually enjoyed school. Now, in college with a major I'm really into, I find reading and studying to be a pleasure.

Oh, you're quite the lucky one!

Edited by Chadeliamian

On 8/18/2024 at 12:41 PM, ThothAmon said:

Never met him myself (that I recall) but with a name that begins with “crazy” not sure why anyone is surprised by their reaction to him?

Breaking Bad: How Krazy-8 Got His Name and Why It's Important

On 8/17/2024 at 8:27 PM, letsgrumble said:

Crazy Ed... now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

My first encounter was at the Pittsburgh Comic Con in 2005 or 2006. Crazy Ed had boxes at his booth that were labelled "Warehouse Find" and I stopped with my wife to check out what he had. There were hundreds of copies of Amazing Spider-Man #328 at $39.95 each. Before I could move on (run away), he stopped me and said that I shouldn't pass on any of these books. He told me that after the con, he was returning to his home base in Hollywood and would be selling them to his movie star customers whom he sold comics to all the time. I was passing up on a golden opportunity. He then pulled out one of the issues and began reading it to my wife and I using an array of voices for Spidey, Hulk, etc. He was extremely bummed out when I still didn't buy a copy after such an impressive sales pitch. Crazy Ed.

Despite such a unique, unforgettable experience in Pittsburgh, whenever I saw his booth at any subsequent con I attended, I chose to avoid him. And I used to see all kinds of boardies digging through his stuff. Maybe I just didn't get him. But I have not seen any trace of him in well over a decade until now.

I have never met the guy although I would probably stay clear of his booth.

His name is indicative of a guy who has spent a long time dealing comics. Maybe too long.

Dealing comics seems to change a lot of long time dealers. The hobby is still full of them. I won’t name names but we all know some. A very “colorful” hobby…:whistle: