• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show some love for Speed Comics
2 2

78 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2024 at 5:36 PM, Point Five said:

Then somewhere along the way this #29 was another impulse buy. Such a great cover. This is one of those Schomburg-adjacent covers that is usually attributed to him... I don't think it's him TBH, but it looks like an artist closely aping/swiping some of his cover elements.

speed29.jpg.0efb943c240a3b7b5d068a7c9eeb0ccc.jpg

I tend to agree.  Black Cat's face does not look Schomburg to me.  Nor do Cap Freedom or Shock Gibson.  The rest of it does though.  Maybe he did the basic layout and someone else filled in the main characters.

I think this would be unusual - Schomburg seems to be a solo act.

On 8/20/2024 at 12:40 AM, Sonic77 said:

The one Speed Comic that I own, Speed Comics #22 one of my favorite WWII covers.  So well constructed with him diving in with the Dauntless dive bombers.

53935122101_ed7cdd14d0_c.jpg

Ah!  One of the ones I have yet to acquire.  Good job!

On 8/20/2024 at 10:33 AM, Point Five said:

OK, here are my Speeds. I picked up this #14 some twelve years ago and thought these digest-size books were just the coolest and I decided to go for the whole #14-16 run. Well, it's taken twelve long years... but I've managed to collect... one of them.:wavingwhiteflag:

You should start collecting Australian GA. You'd fit right in!

On 8/19/2024 at 5:33 PM, Point Five said:

OK, here are my Speeds. I picked up this #14 some twelve years ago and thought these digest-size books were just the coolest and I decided to go for the whole #14-16 run. Well, it's taken twelve long years... but I've managed to collect... one of them.:wavingwhiteflag:

speed14.jpg.c5647f9d4dfacc738587bc68575ad2a4.jpg

Nice! You are way ahead of me. Although I have a couple of the Pocket digests, I have yet to get a Speed digest and sadly, am unlikely to do so. 

On 8/20/2024 at 9:28 AM, Robot Man said:

Awsome copy! This was the first one I bought. Saw the cover and just had to have it. I believe one of the most popular covers in the run. 

It's pretty great.  The symbolism is among the best of WWII.  Up there with Zip 22, Pep 20, and a small handful of others.  

On 8/20/2024 at 12:02 AM, kent allard said:

So you're the guy!     (worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

I figured for sure it would be @MrBedrock

Unfortunately I don't have any Speed Comics at all.

On 8/19/2024 at 12:39 PM, Robot Man said:

And if you think finding Speed Comics are hard, just try finding this membership kit. Only complete one I know of. Came with a blank back side printer's proof cover of issue #11. 

speedcomicskit.jpg

comadspeedcomics.jpg

absolutely fantastic !!!