• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A blast from the past...

13 posts in this topic

I’d maybe keep a couple.

Comic dealer / collector history and nostalgia.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I have some of those as well. I remember sending Bell cash in an envelope for them as a kid. I keep them as a little bit of comic history.

Oddly, there is a dealer every year at Terry’s Cal Con that still sells comics in those bags! 

Is it true that those bags were made from sawdust and radioactive meteor shards and came off the assembly line already yellow? It's just something I heard from some guy.

(I also heard that they leave an oily residue on your fingers even when you don't touch them, emit toxic fumes, and that they will completely melt a comic book left inside them for more than 48 hours.)

Thank god for mylar! It only costs ten times as much, and without it, I truly believe my entire comic book collection would burst into flames immediately.

Some Bell bags disintegrate into a gooey substance on the outside. When I started buying, there were always a few in every collection.  Food storage bags were better protection. 

That said, they are a part of the hobby's history, and I'd preserve them but rebag and board the contents.

On 8/23/2024 at 12:04 PM, shadroch said:

Some Bell bags disintegrate into a gooey substance on the outside. When I started buying, there were always a few in every collection.  Food storage bags were better protection. 

That said, they are a part of the hobby's history, and I'd preserve them but rebag and board the contents.

Before Bell bags, I used to wrap large groups in cleaners bags. 

Chip’s Bell Bags don’t look too bad for their advanced age.