• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego 1973 old clip
2 2

42 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2024 at 1:54 PM, fishbone said:

I also think he caught some s**t (and still does sometimes) ,if I recall,  because he talked a lot but has never backed anything up currently with even 1 post of any of his books,  as most of us on here do.

But I've come to assume he's so old school that he is very hesitant to show his hand and post. Not sure what "risk" he perceives by doing so, unless he keeps everything at home and feels someone will track his house down and break in ---but it certainly is not a strict requirement  here to post. 

But a legend like him, for whom I now have a ton of respect,  it would be nice if he MANNED UP  (   :nyah:    ) & posted stuff the way so many other Big Players do (if he still does indeed have anything left).

There are a ZILLION reasons to keep things private, with thieves and the eyes of the Big Brother being at the top of the list. 

I have a collector friend (boardie) who has some monster books and they don't even want to talk about them, let alone show them to someone. 

Everyone is different. It was fun to share things in the past, but the world has changed and everyone's lives are open to scrutiny these days, so I don't begrudge anyone for not showing things in this day and age where the internet provides a gaping viewing hole into everyone's lives. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 8/28/2024 at 10:54 AM, fishbone said:

I also think he caught some s**t (and still does sometimes) ,if I recall,  because he talked a lot but has never backed anything up currently with even 1 post of any of his books,  as most of us on here do.

But I've come to assume he's so old school that he is very hesitant to show his hand and post. Not sure what "risk" he perceives by doing so, unless he keeps everything at home and feels someone will track his house down and break in ---but it certainly is not a strict requirement  here to post. 

But a legend like him, for whom I now have a ton of respect,  it would be nice if he MANNED UP  (   :nyah:    ) & posted stuff the way so many other Big Players do (if he still does indeed have anything left).

Mitch has implied in a recent media article that he still has one of the three Action Comics 1 copies that he bought in the early-mid 1970s. A higher graded copy than the 5.0 (he estimates) which was the first one he bought. See here: https://www.cllct.com/sports-collectibles/memorabilia/meet-the-man-who-always-believed-in-the-world-s-most-expensive-comic-book

My recollection is that Mitch also stated back when he first joined that there were multiple Action Comics 1 collectors in a "Chinese standoff" over who would grade their books first. Infer what you want because Mitch is always a bit cagey on what he has, but he's had some really cool stuff over the years. The one that blows me away was the original art for Master Race by Krigstein. He convinced Cochran to sell it to him directly instead of putting in the auctions with the other EC art. I suspect that he still has some good stuff.

On 8/28/2024 at 11:59 AM, VintageComics said:

There are a ZILLION reasons to keep things private, with thieves and the eyes of the Big Brother being at the top of the list. 

I have a collector friend (boardie) who has some monster books and they don't even want to talk about them, let alone show them to someone. 

Everyone is different. It was fun to share things in the past, but the world has changed and everyone's lives are open to scrutiny these days, so I don't begrudge anyone for not showing things in this day and age where the internet provides a gaping viewing hole into everyone's lives. 

I generally don't post anything about books I'm looking for or ones that are core to my collection. Why? I'm happy with them and don't need validation. The biggest chunk of my GA books came from my dad.

I do share info on cool books I think deserve attention, both those I'm not seeking and those I plan to unload sooner rather than later . 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/28/2024 at 12:07 PM, sfcityduck said:

. The one that blows me away was the original art for Master Race by Krigstein. He convinced Cochran to sell it to him directly instead of putting in the auctions with the other EC art.

If he did, he doesn't have it any more ...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bernie-krigstein-impact-1-complete-8-page-story-master-race-original-art-ec-1955-total-8-items-/a/7192-91024.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

The closest I got to that one was downloading the higher resolution images :roflmao:

I do have a couple of copies of the Charlton Impact #1 however ...

On 8/29/2024 at 2:19 AM, kent allard said:

True. Mitch told the story on the boards around the time of that auction. Mitch sold the art privately because, he stated, it is a depressing piece to have on your wall. Makes sense. The art was later put up for public auction and bought by Heritage’s owner who has displayed the art at least one museum. It deserves it.

My point is that Mitch has certainly owned some great stuff (and probably still does).. 

On 8/28/2024 at 2:59 PM, VintageComics said:

yeah, I do see that now and this makes perfect sense .... esp. the Big Brother aspect of it !!!! :frown:

On 8/29/2024 at 8:35 AM, KCOComics said:

As far as I'm concerned Mitch owes us nothing. Who cares what comics he has or doesn't? It's his business. 

Mitch has been class act since i joined these boards.  He's passionate and has been an advocate for the Hobby for 50+ years now.  

agree 100%

On 8/29/2024 at 5:19 AM, kent allard said:

If he did, he doesn't have it any more ...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bernie-krigstein-impact-1-complete-8-page-story-master-race-original-art-ec-1955-total-8-items-/a/7192-91024.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

The closest I got to that one was downloading the higher resolution images :roflmao:

I do have a couple of copies of the Charlton Impact #1 however ...

Wowzers !!!!!

On 8/28/2024 at 1:46 PM, fishbone said:

Mitch ..... Supes #2 $1000 and Action #1 $1800 ?   Were you nervous and mis-spoke maybe? maybe you meant a Supes#1 would be $1K?  Supes#2 couldn't have been been $1K in 1973 could it ?

Mitch was smart - dumping the Superman #2, Captain Marvel #2, and even the Adventure #48 so he could concentrate on the real keys.

On 8/29/2024 at 10:15 AM, fishbone said:

yeah, I do see that now and this makes perfect sense .... esp. the Big Brother aspect of it !!!! :frown:

Unless maybe you were a multiple copy Promise Collection buyer, what does "Big Brother" have to do with most of us minnows? 

If Big Brother were to look into my phone, he would be bored pretty fast...

On 8/29/2024 at 3:23 PM, sfcityduck said:

The art was later put up for public auction and bought by Heritage’s owner who has displayed the art at least one museum. It deserves it.

Actually bought by Belgium-based Boon Foundation for Narrative Graphic Arts

https://www.finebooksmagazine.com/fine-books-news/boon-foundation-narrative-graphic-arts-bids-600000-original-art-master-race 

Re: Mitch Mehdy - Since I first learned that he is active on this site I've been amazed ... Rumour had it, there was this very young man who did an extraordinary move on a highly desirable collectible ... 9_9 :popcorn:

On 8/29/2024 at 10:37 PM, Pickie said:

Actually bought by Belgium-based Boon Foundation for Narrative Graphic Arts

https://www.finebooksmagazine.com/fine-books-news/boon-foundation-narrative-graphic-arts-bids-600000-original-art-master-race 

Re: Mitch Mehdy - Since I first learned that he is active on this site I've been amazed ... Rumour had it, there was this very young man who did an extraordinary move on a highly desirable collectible ... 9_9 :popcorn:

I appreciate the correction. Guess I was misrecollecting this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/master-race-cover-of-impact-1-comic-art--222154194110251838/

On 8/29/2024 at 1:15 PM, fishbone said:

Remember when everyone liked Canada? lol

My how things have changed. 

On 8/30/2024 at 2:15 PM, VintageComics said:

Remember when everyone liked Canada? lol

My how things have changed. 

Who doesn’t like Canada? I love Canada. Hardly seems like a foreign country to me. I have a lot of friends in Canada. 

On 9/1/2024 at 10:38 AM, Robot Man said:

Who doesn’t like Canada? I love Canada. Hardly seems like a foreign country to me. I have a lot of friends in Canada. 

Well, considering you and I disagree on everything that sounds about right.