• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego 1973 old clip
2 2

42 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2024 at 11:39 AM, Silver Surfer said:

That guy had 30,000 posters!

I’m guessing he was counting lobby cards as posters - he probably wasn’t referring to one-sheets. I’ve seen dealers years ago with whole rooms full of lobby cards, but less so with inserts, half-sheets, one-sheets, etc… not that it isn’t possible!  :nyah:

There was similar coverage of the Phil Seuling July 4th shows in New York City. I used to head up there on the train for the day and get back in time to catch the news and watch the mocking coverage of the "comic freaks"! Well in the end the freaks won the day along with the computer geeks!

On 8/25/2024 at 12:53 PM, Mmehdy said:

You will note something interesting about 1973 comic book collectors state of mind. In that time period Whiz#2 and Action #1 were neck and neck in terms of demand and value If you see my other purchases besides the Action were also Captain Marvel.....that was the state of the market back them, I collected Action/Superman, Bat, Cap M and Cap A. After 1973 DC really took off. You might recall in my past posts, that I consider Whiz#2 CM first story one of the greatest origin stories ever...period...art deco wise, story everything and back in 73 the on way get was to buy the book. So over the years CM (which outsold superman and had a 12 issue story line). So back then it was a different world! Some better but over all I would take 2024!

Mitch, you took a lot of heat when you joined back in the day (some of it even from me, but mainly because your spelling and grammar was atrocious :wink:) but you stuck to your guns and I always respected that and can relate. 

I agree that Captain Marvel origin is probably the best of the original characters. DC put them out of business with a law suit that today wouldn't fly (pun not intended) and crushed them, but the magic (pun not intended again lol) lives on. 

In much the same way FF #1 is a much better book than AF #15 in my personal opinion but AF #15 just gets more love and I've come to accept that.

I was 8 years old in 1973 and I remember going to a garage sale where a girl who was a collector had a price guide and comic books that were priced higher than the cover prices. That was the first time I had ever encountered that and my mom thought that was just nuts so of-course I didn't get to buy anything. I have always admired Mitch for stepping up that big when the hobby was so young, $1800 was a ton of money back then. I too have always felt the first Captain Marvel was just as good as Superman and don't understand the huge desirability difference from the1970s until now.

Edited by Monsters-n-heroes

On 8/25/2024 at 8:11 PM, Monsters-n-heroes said:

I was 8 years old in 1973 and I remember going to a garage sale where a girl who was a collector had a price guide and comic books that were priced higher than the cover prices. That was the first time I had ever encountered that and my mom thought that was just nuts so of-course I didn't get to buy anything. I have always admired Mitch for stepping up that big when the hobby was so young, $1800 was a ton of money back then. I too have always felt the first Captain Marvel was just as good as Superman and don't understand the huge desirability difference from the1970s until now.

In reading Captain Marvel now it seems as of they were aiming for a target audience in the 7-10 year old group whereas Superman was aimed at perhaps the 10 and up crowd.  

Captain Marvel plot lines seemed to be a bit more simplistic.

On 8/25/2024 at 3:32 PM, VintageComics said:

Mitch, you took a lot of heat when you joined back in the day (some of it even from me, but mainly because your spelling and grammar was atrocious :wink:) but you stuck to your guns and I always respected that and can relate. 

I agree that Captain Marvel origin is probably the best of the original characters. DC put them out of business with a law suit that today wouldn't fly (pun not intended) and crushed them, but the magic (pun not intended again lol) lives on. 

In much the same way FF #1 is a much better book than AF #15 in my personal opinion but AF #15 just gets more love and I've come to accept that.

Assume that you were a kid back in the day.  If comics were worth no more than cover price and you had enough money for only one comic and had only those two to choose from I guarantee that it would be FF #1.  Way more bang for the 10c and two cents left over to boot.   

On 8/25/2024 at 12:53 PM, Mmehdy said:

You will note something interesting about 1973 comic book collectors state of mind. In that time period Whiz#2 and Action #1 were neck and neck in terms of demand and value If you see my other purchases besides the Action were also Captain Marvel.....that was the state of the market back them, I collected Action/Superman, Bat, Cap M and Cap A. After 1973 DC really took off. You might recall in my past posts, that I consider Whiz#2 CM first story one of the greatest origin stories ever...period...art deco wise, story everything and back in 73 the on way get was to buy the book. So over the years CM (which outsold superman and had a 12 issue story line). So back then it was a different world! Some better but over all I would take 2024!

Mitch ..... Supes #2 $1000 and Action #1 $1800 ?   Were you nervous and mis-spoke maybe? maybe you meant a Supes#1 would be $1K?  Supes#2 couldn't have been been $1K in 1973 could it ?

FISH   (5 years old in 1973) 

On 8/25/2024 at 3:32 PM, VintageComics said:

I also think he caught some s**t (and still does sometimes) ,if I recall,  because he talked a lot but has never backed anything up currently with even 1 post of any of his books,  as most of us on here do.

But I've come to assume he's so old school that he is very hesitant to show his hand and post. Not sure what "risk" he perceives by doing so, unless he keeps everything at home and feels someone will track his house down and break in ---but it certainly is not a strict requirement  here to post. 

But a legend like him, for whom I now have a ton of respect,  it would be nice if he MANNED UP  (   :nyah:    ) & posted stuff the way so many other Big Players do (if he still does indeed have anything left).