• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maybe overpay is the way? :)
2 2

39 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2024 at 1:13 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

:whatthe: Either you started in elementary school, or you're a lot older than I realized!

pushing 70 ... I should have done WAY better :bigsmile: First Action 1 I saw was raw, unrestored and $1800. It did NOT sell that day. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/26/2024 at 10:18 AM, jimjum12 said:

pushing 70 ... I should have done WAY better :bigsmile: First Action 1 I saw was raw, unrestored and $1800. It did NOT sell that day. GOD BLESS ...

First Action 1 I saw I was in 8th grade. My friend Gary Coddington, had a complete Superman collection. He was probably a sophomore in HS then. I got to read it, Supe1 and others on the floor in his bedroom. His older brother had a Detective 27 which I also read. I was much more impressed with Batman.

First Action 1 I ever saw for sale was from Bert Blum at Cherokee Books. Price…$300. Might as well been a million dollars then. I think he just wanted to brag or rub it in my dirty little face…

I have seen what seems like thousands now and I’m just not that fixated on it anymore. I’m frankly over it…

On 8/26/2024 at 1:51 PM, Robot Man said:

Mitch bought it…:roflmao:

I think that one was right after Mitch. You could damn near buy a new Camaro for that back then. GOD BLESS ... jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/26/2024 at 10:53 AM, jimjum12 said:

I think that one was right after Mitch. You could damn near buy a new Camaro for that back then. GOD BLESS ... jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I’d have taken the Camaro hands down. What is hard for me to understand is how a guy that young could scrape up that much cash back then. I moved out of my parent’s house when I was 17. Got a job as a box boy making probably $2. an hour. I scraped by and finished HS. Money was tight but old comics were cheap. Garage sales, flea markets, used book stores ect so I was able to still collect a bit. An Action 1 was a unicorn…

On 8/26/2024 at 2:00 PM, Robot Man said:

I’d have taken the Camaro hands down. What is hard for me to understand is how a guy that young could scrape up that much cash back then. I moved out of my parent’s house when I was 17. Got a job as a box boy making probably $2. an hour. I scraped by and finished HS. Money was tight but old comics were cheap. Garage sales, flea markets, used book stores ect so I was able to still collect a bit. An Action 1 was a unicorn…

I was still working my paper route at 10 bucks per week, and shows maybe coming 3 times a year. I was high rolling if I had 50 saved up. You could buy a quarter mil at today's prices for 50. Paid 20 for an unread FF 5 at one show. My whole collection dropped a grade. You could send 75 cents to Crestohl for a VF+ warehouse copy of FF 48. It was a LOT of fun back then ...  who wanted to sell?, they were just too cool. GOD BLESS ...

MEME HENDRIX YOUNG.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 8/26/2024 at 1:15 PM, jimjum12 said:

I was still working my paper route at 10 bucks per week, and shows maybe coming 3 times a year. I was high rolling if I had 50 saved up. You could buy a quarter mil at today's prices for 50. Paid 20 for an unread FF 5 at one show. My whole collection dropped a grade. You could send 75 cents to Crestohl for a VF+ warehouse copy of FF 48. It was a LOT of fun back then ...  who wanted to sell?, they were just too cool. GOD BLESS ...

MEME HENDRIX YOUNG.jpg

I’ve read your post 3 times and can’t connect the picture. So either there’s an FF 5 in that jalopy, or that’s you on the guitar 

On 8/26/2024 at 2:22 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’ve read your post 3 times and can’t connect the picture. So either there’s an FF 5 in that jalopy, or that’s you on the guitar 

That's Jimi Hendrix, another of my interests back then, and still. He was 15 there. His albums were 5 bucks. GOD BLESS ...

On 8/26/2024 at 1:26 PM, jimjum12 said:

That's Jimi Hendrix, another of my interests back then, and still. He was 15 there. His albums were 5 bucks. GOD BLESS ...

What a great pic! I’d have never in a million years connected him to Hendrix 

On 8/26/2024 at 2:29 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

What a great pic! I’d have never in a million years connected him to Hendrix 

I immediately "stole" it when I saw it. Once I knew, I could see it. I read his biography several times. He packed a lot into 27 years. GOD BLESS ...

On 8/27/2024 at 2:26 AM, jimjum12 said:

Relatively speaking, LPs were insanely expensive back then.  It's why my friends and I had massive cassette collections, because we would decide who was going to buy what LP and then everyone else would tape everyone else's LPs.  It's the only way we could afford access to even a fraction of the music we wanted.  

On 8/26/2024 at 11:15 AM, jimjum12 said:

MEME HENDRIX YOUNG.jpg

Yep, JimI with his first electric guitar. A cheap Danelectro single pickup model. If he only knew then what was to come.

Being a MAD fan, this is one of my favorite photos of him.

IMG_9374.jpeg

On 8/26/2024 at 11:04 PM, tth2 said:

Relatively speaking, LPs were insanely expensive back then.  It's why my friends and I had massive cassette collections, because we would decide who was going to buy what LP and then everyone else would tape everyone else's LPs.  It's the only way we could afford access to even a fraction of the music we wanted.  

Yeah, the first album I ever bought with my own money cost $3.50, I was a kid still, and that was a LOT of yards and leaves, pre paper route days. ASM 6 was 5 bucks downtown then. It was worth it, though. That first album was Led Zeppelin III. It started my lifelong love affair with that band. GOD BLESS ...

On 8/27/2024 at 7:42 AM, jimjum12 said:

Yeah, the first album I ever bought with my own money cost $3.50, I was a kid still, and that was a LOT of yards and leaves, pre paper route days. ASM 6 was 5 bucks downtown then. It was worth it, though. That first album was Led Zeppelin III. It started my lifelong love affair with that band. GOD BLESS ...

My first album with my own money was the 2nd Beatles album for $1.89. Yeah, a lot of lawns…

My first exposure to Zep was their first tour in LA. I was in high school doing light shows for Thomas Edison Lights at the Rose Palace. Had never heard of them. After set up during their sound check I was on the phone to all my friends!