• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do you have to pay sales tax on comiclink?

38 posts in this topic

Can someone explain why I have to pay sales tax on Comiclink? Since Clink only profits on the commission fees, shouldn't they only be collecting tax on that, and not the full amount?

Is Josh just sticking the $$$ in his pocket??

I kind of wondered about that myself...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Boy, you really are cheap!

Comiclink and my business for that matter reports and pays sales tax on the full sale of the item with NY unless you have a reseller id. The difference on consignment books is that you don't enter the comic purchase into your books until the item is sold. A sale is a sale and when it's sold in NY the full price is used to calculate the sales tax.

Comiclink and my business for that matter reports and pays sales tax on the full sale of the item with NY unless you have a reseller id. The difference on consignment books is that you don't enter the comic purchase into your books until the item is sold. A sale is a sale and when it's sold in NY the full price is used to calculate the sales tax.

Not cheap, just curious.

sumo.gif

So what happens if a NY dealer sells a book on Clink? Clink pays the NY tax and the dealer pretends the sale (for sales tax purposes) never happened?

This was a question for the Comiczone yesterday!

Not cheap, just curious.

sumo.gif

So what happens if a NY dealer sells a book on Clink? Clink pays the NY tax and the dealer pretends the sale (for sales tax purposes) never happened?

I was kidding. I was just suggesting you could call him up. Bob already gave you his answer in the thread, and NM indicated what the answer is on dealer's selling to each other.

At any rate, to me the sales tax issue is no big deal, it's just like buying a book from anyone else or any other product.

So what was the answer? confused.gif

Not cheap, just curious.

sumo.gif

I'm not familiar with NY sales tax in particular, but it should work something like this. CL is in NY, and if the buyer is also in NY, then the sale occurred in NY, so sales tax is due. Thus, you have to pay the full NY sales tax. The sales tax is on the full amount of the sale, not just CL's fee or profit. If it were, it would be similar to the Value Added Tax (VAT) in the UK.

NY may have a sales tax exemption for out of state sales (CA has one), so if the buyer is outside of NY, no sales tax is due.

The consignor is not responsible for the NY sales tax because he is selling the book to CL, who has a NY reseller license. Technically, the consignor has to report that sale for sales tax purposes, but then can back out the sale on the sales tax return.

So you think that questioning someone collecting taxes when they might not need to is cheap? If Josh is collecting sales tax and not kicking it up to the state then he's a crook. If he's collecting sales tax on things that he's not supposed to then he's not very smart. However, if NY law says he has to do it the way he's doing it (which, being NY, it is very possible) then there's no problem.

So Bob, since it's such a cheap thing why don't you just pay the sales taxes instead of passing it on the the buyer? Or is it just being cheap when a buyer brings it up?