• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do you have to pay sales tax on comiclink?

38 posts in this topic

Out of state transactions shouldn't have sales tax. Sales taxes should apply only to transactions where both the buyer and seller are in the same state. But, if you have a reseller's license and the purchase was for your business, sales tax shouldn't apply.

If your state doesn't have sales tax, there's no way you should be paying it.

Comiclink has to charge sales tax to any buyers residing in states that Comiclink has a presence in. Presumably, that includes New York and probably no place else. So, for instance, if a buyer in California bought a comic off Comiclink in NY, CL has no obligation to charge and collect California sales tax (unless they have an office or employee in California). Similarly, NY sales tax doesn;t apply because the buyer is not in NY and therefore the sale is not deemed to be concluded in NY.

One thing to note though is that even though these sorts of inter-state sales are not subject to "sales tax," they likely ARE subject to "use tax." Generally speaking, if a purchaser buys an item through the mail or internet from an out of state vendor and hasn't been charged sales tax, the purchaser has an obligation to "self-assess" use tax and remit it to their home state (as if they'd bought the item locally). Historically, use tax compliance by individuals has been very low (though corporations get nailed on this all the time). Lately, however, a lot of states have been including a use tax line on their personal income tax forms which forces you to either comply or "lie." And so if you get audited for income tax, you're likely to get nailed on use tax if you've ignored it.

Above applies to end customers, by the way. Resellers avoid sales and use tax by providing a resellers certificate to the vendor.

Boy, you really are cheap!

Comiclink and my business for that matter reports and pays sales tax on the full sale of the item with NY unless you have a reseller id. The difference on consignment books is that you don't enter the comic purchase into your books until the item is sold. A sale is a sale and when it's sold in NY the full price is used to calculate the sales tax.

It is most definitely not a matter of being cheap, it just adds up. Most higher ticket books I do not buy from Comiclink because they , at minimum, cost me an additional 12%. I was looking at an X-Men #8 for $2895. It was already over priced but I was considering it. But when you add the 8.63% tax and the illegal 3% credit card fee - it is way over priced. It would have tagged another $340 or so onto the price. That is why I would rather use Pedigreecomics on items such as this. Over a year ago, there was an X-Men #6 on both Pedigree and Comiclink within a few months of each other. Pedigree had no sales tax ( because Doug is in Florida) and no bogus credit card fee. I ended up getting through Pedigree. I am sure there are Florida residents that do the same thing, they would rather pay no tax by going to Comiclink. There is nothing you can do about sales tax ( nor should there be something done) but it most definitely affects buying choices.

Comiclink and my business for that matter reports and pays sales tax on the full sale of the item with NY unless you have a reseller id. The difference on consignment books is that you don't enter the comic purchase into your books until the item is sold. A sale is a sale and when it's sold in NY the full price is used to calculate the sales tax.

It is most definitely not a matter of being cheap, it just adds up. Most higher ticket books I do not buy from Comiclink because they , at minimum, cost me an additional 12%. I was looking at an X-Men #8 for $2895. It was already over priced but I was considering it. But when you add the 8.63% tax and the illegal 3% credit card fee - it is way over priced. It would have tagged another $340 or so onto the price. That is why I would rather use Pedigreecomics on items such as this. Over a year ago, there was an X-Men #6 on both Pedigree and Comiclink within a few months of each other. Pedigree had no sales tax ( because Doug is in California) and no bogus credit card fee. I ended up getting through Pedigree. I am sure there are California residents that do the same thing, they would rather pay no tax by going to Comiclink. There is nothing you can do about sales tax ( nor should there be something done) but it most definitely affects buying choices.

Doug is in Florida, not California. gossip.gif

I guess that's why CL also charges an illegal CC fee.

Reeeeally? Next time you want to use your card and Josh pulls that BS just call your CC company. They will handle him. Usually the conversation goes, "Stop charging to accept CCs or you will lose the privilege. It's against your Terms Of Use."

yep, sales tax should only be charged if the purchaser is in NY although i think NY may also has some sort of tax treaty with Connecticut and NJ, but I'm not sure.

i see sales tax being charged all the time to people in the same state as the seller. it's not just NY.

Reeeeally? Next time you want to use your card and Josh pulls that BS just call your CC company. They will handle him. Usually the conversation goes, "Stop charging to accept CCs or you will lose the privilege. It's against your Terms Of Use."

ComicLink is not the only dealer that charges a credit card fee (often euphemistically referred to as a "handling" fee). gossip.gif

I have a question about the sales tax. I told Tomis the other day that i would pick up the books in person being that I am always passing through Brooklyn. he told me that if I did pick up the books that I would have to pay sales tax??

I told him i live in New Jersey so why would I have to pay sales tax if i bought them off the web and came to pick them up. he said that I would have to pay sales tax if I picked them up because it would then be an instate sale?

I said no more because I know its a bunch of bull. All he has to do is this...nothing.

Just leave the sale as me living in new jersey and all I did was pick up the books.

Now I have to waste time sending out a check and waiting for the shipment because I wont pay with a credit card due to the 3% fee. i cant inconvienience them to convienience myself only to inconvienience myself to convienience them with a quick sale incovieniently. You know what i mean???? I dont.

ComicLink is not the only dealer that charges a credit card fee (often euphemistically referred to as a "handling" fee). gossip.gif

Oh, I know. And I soooo love busting them. sumo.gif

I have a question about the sales tax. I told Tomis the other day that i would pick up the books in person being that I am always passing through Brooklyn. he told me that if I did pick up the books that I would have to pay sales tax??

I told him i live in New Jersey so why would I have to pay sales tax if i bought them off the web and came to pick them up. he said that I would have to pay sales tax if I picked them up because it would then be an instate sale?

I said no more because I know its a bunch of bull. All he has to do is this...nothing.

Just leave the sale as me living in new jersey and all I did was pick up the books.

Now I have to waste time sending out a check and waiting for the shipment because I wont pay with a credit card due to the 3% fee. i cant inconvienience them to convienience myself only to inconvienience myself to convienience them with a quick sale incovieniently. You know what i mean???? I dont.

If you go to FAO Shwartz in Manhattan and buy atoy, you get charged sales tax. If you buy it from their web site and have it shipped, no sales tax (unless they have a business presence in NJ). So technically Tomis is right and you can only fault him for not being a more pragmatic "no one around, the tree makes no sound" guy.

[quote

If you go to FAO Shwartz in Manhattan and buy atoy, you get charged sales tax. If you buy it from their web site and have it shipped, no sales tax (unless they have a business presence in NJ). So technically Tomis is right and you can only fault him for not being a more pragmatic "no one around, the tree makes no sound" guy.

Yeah but although there was no exchange of money i did purchase the books online already. If I went to their place and picked it up and gave them cash it doesnt seem any different than as if I sent them a check and they cashed it. I figured i was making it easier for them.

[quote

Yeah but although there was no exchange of money i did purchase the books online already. If I went to their place and picked it up and gave them cash it doesnt seem any different than as if I sent them a check and they cashed it. I figured i was making it easier for them.

But the LAW says CL needs to charge sales tax if you pick up. CL is pretty straight-laced and above board (CC surcharges notwithstanding) and I bet they don't want customers picking up books. I understand your frustation; pay the $12 shipping and save the gas money. Also, Tomis will hold a few books for you over time and ship them together if you ask. your friendly CL customer service

A very standard thing that a sales tax auditor will do is review shipping receipts and match them to a vendor's sales. If you pick the book up, there won't be a shipping slip and the vendor will be assessed the tax.