• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st True Golden Age Horror Comic Cover?

21 posts in this topic

Simple question. Or is it? I don't know. Hopefully we can find out.  I mean a cover that would be considered pure horror. Primarily horror at least. 

3 days later - I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone considered the 1st one. And it is. 

Edited by Professor K

On 8/25/2024 at 7:11 PM, Professor K said:

Yeah she ain't messing around. Looks like she got him in the head. 100% horror cover. 

That’s the earliest I know of. I’m sure some better informed boardies will come along and school me! :D

On 8/25/2024 at 5:15 PM, Jayman said:

That’s the earliest I know of. I’m sure some better informed boardies will come along and school me! :D

It gets so muddled.  If you read the old CBMs there was a back and forth about this in the letters column, that's now 30 years past.  

On 8/25/2024 at 7:58 PM, buttock said:

It gets so muddled.  If you read the old CBMs there was a back and forth about this in the letters column, that's now 30 years past.  

Yes, but IIRC that was about a book having complete horror contents. That, I believe would go to 1947’s Eerie #1. The front page, while having a total horror cover, did not contain all horror exclusive stories.

On 8/25/2024 at 8:07 PM, IngelsFan said:

Earliest with a horror element would be this one from 1939. It’s a superhero cover so I’m not sure if that rules it out.

IMG_4967.jpeg

That's the first book my good friend thought of. Those creatures surely scream out horror. They're horrible! All all a matter of opinion , in my opinion it's primarily a superhero cover. 

On 8/25/2024 at 8:14 PM, IngelsFan said:

Earliest horror cover without a superhero is likely this one from April, 1940.

IMG_4968.jpeg

This one, I can't poke any holes in it. It could be considered a sci fi cover I suppose but that candle might be the deciding factor. 

On 8/25/2024 at 9:37 PM, Professor K said:

This one, I can't poke any holes in it. It could be considered a sci fi cover I suppose but that candle might be the deciding factor. 

(thumbsu

On 8/25/2024 at 6:26 PM, Jayman said:

Yes, but IIRC that was about a book having complete horror contents. That, I believe would go to 1947’s Eerie #1. The front page, while having a total horror cover, did not contain all horror exclusive stories.

I think it was even less discrete, something along the lines of Suspense Comics being the first 'horror series', but you still have to define 'horror' which is very subjective.  

Similar to nature, we have all these weird transitional forms in comics.  By the time the genre evolves it's clear to see what it is.  But until it's in its fully formed state it's a bit harder.  Why is Superman considered the first superhero?  It's easy to pick out a war comic from the 50s and define it as such, but it's pretty hard to say what the first war comic is.  

On 8/25/2024 at 5:07 PM, IngelsFan said:

Earliest with a horror element would be this one from 1939. It’s a superhero cover so I’m not sure if that rules it out.

IMG_4967.jpeg

This was preceded by detective 31, cover date sep 39.  

On 8/25/2024 at 3:17 PM, Professor K said:

I believe it's Dynamic 8 which CGG dates as March 1944. Jon Berk Copy not mine.

Seems there is some mystery as to the actual date but it can be assumed it came out before issue 9 and 10.  So 3/1944 is most likely the latest it could be. 

https://www.comics.org/issue/2603/

dyn1.199a.jpg

What a nice looking copy for the grade. Even at that, it would probably be out of my league. I love Chesslers. I have most of them. Being a horror completist, this is probably top of my short list. I long ago gave up on Punch #12 but still thought I had a chance at a lower grade copy like this. But this ship has more than likely sailed.

Ironicaly, I heard two different people ask two different dealers for a copy at the Torpedo show last month. 

On 8/25/2024 at 10:15 PM, buttock said:

Similar to nature, we have all these weird transitional forms in comics.  By the time the genre evolves it's clear to see what it is.  But until it's in its fully formed state it's a bit harder.  Why is Superman considered the first superhero?  It's easy to pick out a war comic from the 50s and define it as such, but it's pretty hard to say what the first war comic is.  

Very well said.  :applause:

People tend to want clear delineation, and are usually unsatisfied. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2024 at 11:15 PM, buttock said:

I think it was even less discrete, something along the lines of Suspense Comics being the first 'horror series', but you still have to define 'horror' which is very subjective.  

That's a great explanation. The evolution aspect. It is subjective so there is no perfect answer or example really. It's like various themes/genres were combined like Jungle, Sci-Fi, Superhero but there comes a point I think when something is no doubt 100% one theme. Like Tec 31 , to me, is Superhero/Horror (edit: But I could see it being considered the 1st horror cover). Wonderworld 7 Hero/Sci-Fi, Horror. Even Weird #1 is a combo I think- Hero ( Gary Brent , had to look him up)/Sci-Fi/Horror. 

Front Page 1 is no doubt a 100% horror cover but I still would put Dynamic 8 ahead of it. I don't see any other theme on that cover. Even the candle has a skull on it.  I guess if the Action 1 Ashcan had made it to a cover of Detective it would have been the undisputed 1st horror cover.

lf.jpg

Edited by Professor K
afterthought

On 8/25/2024 at 8:15 PM, buttock said:

First war cover is easy though:image.thumb.jpeg.1b4a9a5fe3a9d97587f2b9c05192fae3.jpeg