• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you considering the "Atomic Age" as a thing?
7 7

250 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2024 at 12:59 PM, Collect Stuff said:

Are you saying E.C. Comics were not a (giant) step up from your usual GA books (written for 8 year olds) in both art and story?

You and I have a radically different view of the GA if you think art and story sucked until EC rolled around. A lot of great artists and writers are being dissed by a view that I think is not grounded in broad enough knowledge about the GA. A lot of EC artists were doing fantastic work before they got to EC and after as well. Artists like Frazetta actually suffered from the incredibly excessive wordiness of the scripting of EC comics. Check out this art from HEROIC COMICS #94 (December, 1954):

Frazetta: Frazetta Masterpieces #1

Obviously, lots of great artists and stories prior to EC. EC had some real high points (Kurtzman and Krigstein especially) but they also had a lot of stilted art and excessive words on the page (especially in the horror books). A great part of the GA, but so were so many publications.

On 9/9/2024 at 9:56 PM, Joseph Ragno said:

All-American Comics #102 (Oct 1948) to All-American Western #103 (Nov 1948), dropping Green Lantern completely

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjA0YWFkMGNkLTc2ZDEtNDEzYS1hODU4LWExZTcwZDhhN2IyYS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==.webp

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjZjMWQ1OWYzLWM5OWYtNDdlNC04NDNkLWM1OWY4NzE2MDFiNy5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==.webp

Just a serie who totally changed of way like many other ones, I'm not sure that is something related to the age...

On 9/8/2024 at 8:28 PM, CGC Mike said:

Do you mean create a different forum for these 2 ages?

I was thinking one forum for Platinum Age and Victorian Age.

I know Overstreet has them broken out into different sections. But I'm not sure there are enough true Victorian Age comic books to warrant their own forum. Of course, it is up to you!

Thanks for your consideration!

On 9/10/2024 at 4:01 AM, Coverdeath said:

Just a serie who totally changed of way like many other ones, I'm not sure that is something related to the age...

"... totally changed the way like many other ones..."  Yes, you're right... and supporting the contention that a new age began.

On 9/10/2024 at 12:14 PM, Joseph Ragno said:

"... totally changed the way like many other ones..."  Yes, you're right... and supporting the contention that a new age began.

No maybe a new wave for the serie but that's all.

I could take a random exemple with a comic books dated of the 00's... Aquaman suddenly became Aquaman: Sword of Altantis

But as I know we do not changed of era in 2006

On 9/10/2024 at 7:09 AM, Coverdeath said:

No maybe a new wave for the serie but that's all.

I could take a random exemple with a comic books dated of the 00's... Aquaman suddenly became Aquaman: Sword of Altantis

But as I know we do not changed of era in 2006

I gave examples of a comic book series totally dumping well known Golden Age characters (Green Lantern and Human Torch)

Captain America totally went away in 1950... freeking *CAPTAIN AMERICA*.  Overstreet officially lists the Atom Age as 1946-1956.

You are going to lose the debate on whether or not a significant new age occurred around then.

On 9/9/2024 at 1:24 PM, sfcityduck said:

You and I have a radically different view of the GA if you think art and story sucked until EC rolled around. 

On 9/10/2024 at 6:04 AM, Collect Stuff said:

Yup.

😆 🤣 

I see you are new to the boards and presumably GA. Lots to learn here. Welcome and enjoy the learning curve!

I am a consummate EC collector. My favorite books of all time. But that being said, there are SO MANY other outstanding GA books out there. GA throws such a wide net. So much to discover and sub genres to enjoy.

Welcome to the boards @Collect Stuff. Come for the ECs and open your mind to everything GA has to offer! 

On 9/10/2024 at 4:31 AM, Joseph Ragno said:

I gave examples of a comic book series totally dumping well known Golden Age characters (Green Lantern and Human Torch)

Captain America totally went away in 1950... freeking *CAPTAIN AMERICA*.  Overstreet officially lists the Atom Age as 1946-1956.

You are going to lose the debate on whether or not a significant new age occurred around then.

Depends on the judge and the criteria for winning. If you go by the classic definitions of Golden and Silver Ages its a no brainer that there was no Atom Age. As a guy who collects comics that are related to the Atomic Bomb, I'd never claim that those comics were as important to comic history or as prevalent from 1946 to 1956 as any of the following genres: Superheroes, Teen, Funny Animal, Romance, Horror, Westerns, plain old War, and probably others that I'm forgetting. 

If you are going by top genre by market share per year (per Gerber*), there was no Atomic Age from 1946-1956:

1938 - Newspaper reprints

1939-1948 - Superheroes

1949-1950 - Romance

1951-1952 - Western

1953 - Romance

1954 - Western

1955 - Horror/Mystery

1956 - Western

For added context:

1957-1959 - Funny Animal

1960-1970 - Humorous Humans & TV

Interesting to note that the only year that Horror/Mystery was the top genre was the year after EC folded the horror titles and shifted to the New Trend.

*Gerber not always right and I don't take everything he put in the forwards to the Photo Journals as gospel. So feel free to be skeptical.

On 9/10/2024 at 1:19 PM, VintageComics said:

I'm very confused. It's obvious that the majority of people don't want the name of this forum changed. 

So why was it changed? ???

It's not bothering me as much as it is you. As a lover of all things Atomic Age, I kind of like it. It definitely dispels the confusion that pops up from time to time. GOD BLESS ... 

-jiimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/10/2024 at 1:39 PM, jimjum12 said:

It's not bothering me as much as it is you. As a lover of all things Atomic Age, I kind of like it. It definitely dispels the confusion that pops up from time to time.

It's not the title that bothers me. It's the lack of reasoning and logic behind the title change, and how the decision process was made. 

The name was basically changed on a whim. If this is supposed to be a democratic process as Mike suggested a poll, where was the process?

And if the title is going to be changed, why only favor Atom and Golden when the entire Age covers other subsets?

On 9/10/2024 at 12:15 PM, sfcityduck said:

Depends on the judge and the criteria for winning. If you go by the classic definitions of Golden and Silver Ages its a no brainer that there was no Atom Age. As a guy who collects comics that are related to the Atomic Bomb, I'd never claim that those comics were as important to comic history or as prevalent from 1946 to 1956 as any of the following genres: Superheroes, Teen, Funny Animal, Romance, Horror, Westerns, plain old War, and probably others that I'm forgetting. 

If you are going by top genre by market share per year (per Gerber*), there was no Atomic Age from 1946-1956:

1938 - Newspaper reprints

1939-1948 - Superheroes

1949-1950 - Romance

1951-1952 - Western

1953 - Romance

1954 - Western

1955 - Horror/Mystery

1956 - Western

For added context:

1957-1959 - Funny Animal

1960-1970 - Humorous Humans & TV

Interesting to note that the only year that Horror/Mystery was the top genre was the year after EC folded the horror titles and shifted to the New Trend.

*Gerber not always right and I don't take everything he put in the forwards to the Photo Journals as gospel. So feel free to be skeptical.

It appears you have a problem with the term "Atomic or Atom" to describe that time period.  Fair enough.  Then you should have a problem with the term "Golden".  Was gold found?  Were there a lot of "Gold" titles?  Look, a huge event occurred in our world that changed history, the dropping of the atom bomb and the ending of WW2, and it happened to change the role of the superhero in comics.  If you would prefer a different name for that era, let's hear it.  It's an accepted term, whether you like it or not.

On 9/10/2024 at 2:02 PM, VintageComics said:

It's not the title that bothers me. It's the lack of reasoning and logic behind the title change, and how the decision process was made. 

The name was basically changed on a whim. If this is supposed to be a democratic process as Mike suggested a poll, where was the process?

And if the title is going to be changed, why only favor Atom and Golden when the entire Age covers other subsets?

There are a few issues going on with this thread.  It is entitled "Are you considering the 'Atomic Age' as a thing." Whether or not the forum name gets changed is actually a tangent, but a reasonable one to discuss. Peace to all

Edited by Joseph Ragno

On 9/10/2024 at 2:02 PM, VintageComics said:

As a friend, I believe you're overthinking this. It's really not that important. :foryou: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friiend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/10/2024 at 2:48 PM, shadroch said:

Not important???  To who?

I've got half a box of books that spent their entire lives thinking they were golden, only for some bureaucrat to decide they were now atomic-aged. As if I don't have enough problems already. 

Does anyone know where I can get some Atomic Age bags and boards?

Hate to break it to you, but Overstreet has been using the term Atomic Age since the early 1990s.  A bureaucrat did not suddenly decide this.  I also think many here are getting upset because they feel some of their Goldens have just lost some of the "luster".