• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(Closed) Labor Day Gold + Bronze - Catman Vol 3 #2 Added Pep #17 1st Hangman, War Fury #1, Conan #1 9.6 WHITE
3 3

23 posts in this topic

I hope everyone has a nice Labor Day Weekend. Offering up some books. Offers welcomed. Will add some more as I am able. 

:rulez: apply. :takeit: in the thread trumps any PM negotiations unless both parties have responded in agreement.

Shipping: FREE Secure Boxed, Fully Insured shipping within the US.

Returns: No questions asked if the return is initiated within 3 days of receiving the book. Book must be returned in the same condition as it was received. CGC books must show no signs of tampering.

Payment: Venmo, Zelle, Check/Money Order, ACH/Wire. Paypal is an option as well but may factor into negotiations. Payment must be received within 3 days of purchase unless other arrangements are made.

Edited by Noble Nostalgia aka Nikelspot

Posted (edited)

War Fury #1 CGC 4.5 Off-White - White - Classic Heck bullet hole in the head image

That is glare from the scanner at the bottom, not on the book. 

Asking SOLD Shipped 

War Fury 1 CGC 4 5 OWW A.jpeg

War Fury 1 CGC 4 5 OWW B.jpeg

Edited by Noble Nostalgia aka Nikelspot

On 8/31/2024 at 10:45 AM, Noble Nostalgia aka Nikelspot said:

Pep Comics #17 CGC 7.0 OW/W - Origin + 1st Hangman - Tough Book, Top 4 copy - 2 in 7.0, 1 in 8.0, and 1 9.6 :whatthe:

Asking $7150 Shipped 

Pep Comics 17 CGC 7 0 OWW A.jpeg

Pep Comics 17 CGC 7 0 OWW B.jpeg

Very little details about the hangman.  Did he hang anyone?  I know Spectre shows no mercy to the criminals. 

On 8/31/2024 at 11:49 AM, Noble Nostalgia aka Nikelspot said:

War Fury #1 CGC 4.5 Off-White - White - Classic Heck bullet hole in the head image

That is glare from the scanner at the bottom, not on the book. 

Asking $1450 Shipped 

War Fury 1 CGC 4 5 OWW A.jpeg

War Fury 1 CGC 4 5 OWW B.jpeg

FYI That is glare from the scanner at the bottom, not on the book. 

On 8/31/2024 at 11:45 AM, Noble Nostalgia aka Nikelspot said:

Pep Comics #17 CGC 7.0 OW/W - Origin + 1st Hangman - Tough Book, Top 4 copy - 2 in 7.0, 1 in 8.0, and 1 9.6 :whatthe:

Asking SOLD Shipped 

Pep Comics 17 CGC 7 0 OWW A.jpeg

Pep Comics 17 CGC 7 0 OWW B.jpeg

Oh Jeez I’m so lucky I didn’t see this before someone else snagged it. Whoever did, awesome grab of a very important piece of comics history! DANG!!

On 9/2/2024 at 5:46 AM, Corvonie said:

So this is IMO a VERY important comic book, that should have its place with marvel mystery 8 and 9, Captain Marvel Adventures 22-46, and others.

Short version: PEP 17 is the first super hero death in comics, namely the Comet.  Longer version: it’s the first gimmick death in comics.  The comet is murdered and the Hangman is The Comet’s brother who seeks revenge.   A character who was lagging (anecdotally because Jack Cole had left and, without his artwork, the character just wasn’t as compelling) is sacrificed to make a big splash for a new character. 

It seems to have worked, since the Hangman was popular for a long time.

This comic is the template for A Death in the Family,  Death of Superman, and even all of the universe clearing house annual events like secret wars, etc.  

This was when creators and publishers figured out this now tride and true gimmick.

Please, anyone more knowledgeable than myself, correct anything I’ve gotten wrong here.

Is there any way to quadruple-like a comment?

(worship)

On 9/2/2024 at 5:19 PM, Point Five said:

Many GA collectors don't know that MLJ pioneered the 'call in to determine whether a character lives or dies' gimmick in advance of Pep #17. Kids lit up the switchboard for several weeks to determine the fate of The Comet. This pic shows the operators breaking into grins when the final calls came in and they realized The Comet was indeed toast. It's a bit tough to look at today, but it's important that we not whitewash our history.

Screenshot2024-09-02at5_08_04PM.thumb.png.64e7d78d719aaa7f4806805538ad51d4.png

I didn’t know this part!  Not pictured is a young Stanley Milgram, surveying those grins and thinking “I wonder if…”

So awesome @Point Five, thanks for the info!