• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my collection is currently under a "heat dome" in Los Angeles. Will this effect (affect?) resale value?

27 posts in this topic

Jokes aside, books exposed to high temperatures for an extended period can suffer premature degradation of page whiteness. This is based on my experience as a kid growing up in the hot Australian outback in a house without air conditioning. I tried to keep my comics in the bottom of cool wardrobes, but one box was up in a high cupboard which got hot and a disproportionate number of the comics in it ended up with off white & even tan pages years later. 

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 9/9/2024 at 7:05 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Jokes aside, books exposed to high temperatures for an extended period can suffer premature degradation of page whiteness. This is based on my experience as a kid growing up in the hot Australian outback in a house without air conditioning. I tried to keep my comics in the bottom of cool wardrobes, but one box was up in a high cupboard which got hot and a disproportionate number of the comics in it ended up with off white & even tan pages years later. 

did you live where they filmed any of the Mad Max movies?

On 9/11/2024 at 7:04 AM, NoMan said:

did you live where they filmed any of the Mad Max movies?

No. That's down in New South Wales. But Hughenden is only a couple of hours drive from the rustic bar used in the classic movie Crocodile Dundee. Temperatures go above 40oC or 104oF during summer. 

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 9/12/2024 at 9:10 AM, Ed Hanes said:

the types of plastic they use have melting points in the 200's (F)..so unless you have them sitting directly in the sun ..they will be okay 

https://thecollectorsresource.com/blog/getting-to-know-your-cgc-comic-book-cases/#:~:text=The CGC case has two,SAN (Styrene-Acrylonitrile).

The condition of the comic inside the case could be impacted though

On 9/11/2024 at 4:14 PM, MattrixAlien said:

The condition of the comic inside the case could be impacted though

and that was already covered by a few people ...I just addressed his concern over his collection melting and catching on fire..which was his original post

On 9/12/2024 at 9:17 AM, Ed Hanes said:

and that was already covered by a few people ...I just addressed his concern over his collection melting and catching on fire..which was his original post

Yeah I addressed it but everyone else was pretty much just joking about it xD

Edited by MattrixAlien