• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Horror titles, do you merely buy for the covers or you enjoy the stories?
2 2

39 posts in this topic

The DC horror titles are clearly not the cheapest books, and some great names of the industry worked a lot on them trough the 70s, I firstly think to Neal Adams and Bernie Writghson...

Are you merely buying for the cover art or the story are funs and good to read?

I have the feeling that the way they were drawing in the 70's was not really horrific as contrary as what been made during the pre code era... !!! MAYBE IM WRONG !!! so I don't know if it's really enjoyable to read an horror comics which is not essentially "scary". 

hm

Like in any anthology title, the quality was patchy, but there were many good stories at DC. Particularly in the early-to-mid 70s you could find some very bizarre or disturbing material in House of Mystery and House of Secrets, especially for young kids like myself at the time. I’d agree with the previous post in that I found Marvel ‘Horror’ to be noticeably tamer and didn’t evoke anything near the same level.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/8/2024 at 11:31 AM, This is Who We Are said:

DC Horror sells itself

Having had complete runs of all the major titles for over 20 years now, I grew up reading these books. Picking them off the spinner racks then later buying the ones I missed in the back issue bins. I’m probably a bit biased, but DC horror was always my favorite! :cloud9:

On 9/8/2024 at 6:50 PM, bronze_rules said:

Kind of like a dream for nerdy, shy people who get bullied or taken advantage of in life

Never thought of that with horror comics. The empowerment fantasy is easier to see with super-hero comics. 

On 9/8/2024 at 1:50 PM, bronze_rules said:

I see a lot of these stories as like morality tales with twisted endings where the bad person gets their comeuppance.

Like people steal and are on the run and encounter the devil in their hiding spot, or death comes to take them.

Or they try to take advantage of elderly,, kids, etc.. and have something bad happen to them.

Kind of like a dream for nerdy, shy people who get bullied or taken advantage of in life. 

You can purchase Omnis or get digital access if you don't want to decrease the value of the comics.

I've read many of the skywalds and would say they are similar storylines with much lower quality art. Warren magazines also have similar tales.

One of the things that scared me in recent years is picking up stories about the spanish artists of the 70s (estaban maroto, etc...) and reading about their true lives.

This is 100% correct. 

I've been collecting DC Bronze Age Horror for years now. DC and primarily HOS. 

I buy high grade issues mostly for the covers - but also buy readers.  The stories are really really mixed,  but I would agree they aren't always "horror".  Lots of morality stories with twists,  kind of in the spirit of EC. 

As an aside - I'm debating selling off my high grade run of HOS and keeping the readers. It's gotten to be a pretty pricey pursuit, which even 4 or 5 years ago, it really wasn't.  

On 9/8/2024 at 3:55 PM, Ken Aldred said:

A story where a guy is turned in the end into a rather disturbing-looking pile of string in the road.

Sounds bizarre. You don't happen to remember the issue?

On 9/8/2024 at 3:55 PM, Ken Aldred said:

A guy making the mistake of asking for immortality but not for invulnerability, leading to physically horrendous results.

Could it be this one I remember? Evil guy becomes immortal then the natives throw him into quicksand where he’s stuck forever being eaten alive (then healing) by insects.

IMG_4224.jpeg