• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book Was Damaged During Reholdering
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I recently sent one of my books to CGC for reholdering, and unfortunately, it came back damaged. 😞

I was extremely disappointed to find that it had been damaged during the reholdering process. The grader notes mention a “small, light indent center of front cover,” which was not present when I sent the book in for grading. And it's pretty bad this book was a 9.8 and now drops to 9.4 with this type of damage there's no way it would of received a grade of 9.8 initially and it's not the type of damage that can happen due to a reholdering.

I contacted cgc and was told I would have to send the book in again to be review on how the damage occurred and to be reholder and to be Possibly regraded. I can't believe this is the best way to address this issue.

I take great care of my comics, and it’s frustrating to see them returned in worse condition than when they were sent out.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with CGC? What steps did you take to address the damage? Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

0829240104~2.jpg

0829240103~3.jpg

No I was sent in for reholder because it had what looks like scuffs on case but the grade got dropped a few bumps down because of this damage. It wasn't there and it wasn't shipping because in was in slab. I've seen vids on YouTube where people crack the slab themselves to resubmit and I don't see any way this type of damage could occur from that. I only posted because I'm new to cgc and I don't know if this is something that happens from time to time or if i should send it back honestly don't think I should and take it for what it is

On 9/9/2024 at 11:12 AM, Topnotchman said:

I would say it was damaged while opening the holder. Do you have a picture from the first grading that might show no indents?

That can't be right. Surely, if an employee of CGC were responsible for damaging a comic, they'd report it to their supervisor. :whistle:

Maybe they have video of the unslabbing?

call and escalate.

On 9/11/2024 at 6:23 PM, themoonwasblue said:

I'm sure there's a reason that I'm not thinking of, but why does a reholdering require opening the inner well?

due to the banana bend epidemic that have rendered most 2024 Modern 9.8's  .2 - .4 lower

If you have the patience, its better for everyone if you keep pushing back on them and making them get it right. Call/email/message, etc.  Don't let them off the hook.