• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
9 9

453 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2024 at 6:47 PM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

Put me down for one of these Dave.  :banana:

Can you do it in Everton Blue please?  :foryou:

rs-634x1024-170706162638-634Stan.gif

One Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtleneck coming right up.  Is it just me or is every single English guy out there named Paul?

On 9/16/2024 at 7:24 PM, bc said:

While several issues in the early 1990s would have sales exceeding 1 million copies, none of the year-long averages for those series topped that figure.

None published in Statements of Ownership, sure. However, that's only because the first SoO for X-Men (v.2) didn't cover the earliest issues of the title, which absolutely eclipsed the 1 million average copies mark for the first 12 issues (and fell only 32,000 short for the reported period). The first Spider-Man SoO was also very close at 896,550 average sales and, again, did not cover the beginning of the series.

On 9/19/2024 at 5:16 AM, thehumantorch said:

One Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtleneck coming right up.  Is it just me or is every single English guy out there named Paul?

I'm not single. I have a filipino houseboy,  a french maid and a hamster.  Need a companion?.......

image.png.30a76c892ee209ebb4e751c377be79b4.png

On 9/19/2024 at 5:13 AM, thehumantorch said:

And prior to the Marvel Explosion Kirby, as much as I love his work, couldn't hold a candle to the greats like Schomburg, LB Cole, Matt Baker, Wally Wood, or a dozen other artists.  Even the first dozen or more issues of FF had charm but the art was bloody awful, the stories were lame, and the villains were essentially monsters or aliens or recycled characters from the past. 

This...but respectfully you forgot to mention that all his faces looked the same.

I mean they do!

Kirby ain't all that. Give me the quirkiness of Wolverton, Matt Fox and the purity of Wood any day of the week. Worlds of difference. But hey art is subjective I get it, but Kirby?

Don't think so...sorry Kirby zombies but no.  

Edited by Paul © ® ⚽️💙™

@Prince Namor I just ordered a copy and it will arrive Sunday... I can't wait to dig into it.

I definitely have my own opinion... was once a Stan Lee die-hard (had a few books signed by him too) and had drank the kool-aid.  When I initially heard rumors that all the tall tales may not be 100% accurate I started doing some of my own research.  As I learned more my opinion changed... the tipping point for me was a video where Alan Moore discussed the topic and Jack's vs Stan's contribution.  That was it for me and I sold my Lee signed books.  I honestly consider any book signed by him defaced at this point and hate when I see some high grade grail with that crooked scribble across the cover.

It sounds like your book may tell me what I want to hear and I am totally cool with that... thanks for putting in the work on it!

On 9/19/2024 at 7:44 PM, Iconic1s said:

@Prince Namor I just ordered a copy and it will arrive Sunday... I can't wait to dig into it.

I definitely have my own opinion... was once a Stan Lee die-hard (had a few books signed by him too) and had drank the kool-aid.  When I initially heard rumors that all the tall tales may not be 100% accurate I started doing some of my own research.  As I learned more my opinion changed... the tipping point for me was a video where Alan Moore discussed the topic and Jack's vs Stan's contribution.  That was it for me and I sold my Lee signed books.  I honestly consider any book signed by him defaced at this point and hate when I see some high grade grail with that crooked scribble across the cover.

It sounds like your book may tell me what I want to hear and I am totally cool with that... thanks for putting in the work on it!

I appreciate that! 

But as I like to say... the people who were there and the facts we know about are the one's actually telling you what happened - all I did was collect the inofmation and publish it.

On 9/19/2024 at 12:18 AM, VintageComics said:

Another way to look at this is the Silver Surfer #1-18 run. 

Who was responsible for the lovesick, humanitarian angle that the Silver Surfer was known for during this run (and in my opinion made this run great)?

I thought it was okay for the first few issues, and then got tediously whiny and one-note.

On 9/19/2024 at 5:16 AM, thehumantorch said:

The joke at one stage here was that we were all called Gary. It seemed common.

On 9/19/2024 at 5:52 AM, Prince Namor said:

Kirby went from doing 50+ pages a month and 6 covers in the monster years to doing 100 pages a month with up to 10 covers during the early superhero days. The work was obviously going to suffer

Possibly why he changed to a more open, less detailed style in the mid-60s, to compensate for the workload. More exaggerated figurework.  Blockier - thinking about his characters’ feet there, for example. I noticed that drastic transition particularly so in his Captain America stories in Tales of Suspense.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/19/2024 at 1:58 PM, jsilverjanet said:

this thread has inspired me to write a book called "comic fans butthurt - the consequences of when heroes fall"

foreword by @greggy

Great title. It really captures all of the angst we love to see in our comic books.

On 9/19/2024 at 11:09 AM, Ken Aldred said:
On 9/19/2024 at 12:52 AM, Prince Namor said:

Kirby went from doing 50+ pages a month and 6 covers in the monster years to doing 100 pages a month with up to 10 covers during the early superhero days. The work was obviously going to suffer

Possibly why he changed to a more open, less detailed style in the mid-60s, to compensate for the workload. More exaggerated figurework.  Blockier - thinking about his characters’ feet there, for example. I noticed that drastic transition particularly so in his Captain America stories in Tales of Suspense.

Frankly, because of Kirby's lack of realism in his Silver Age work I never liked it growing up, and this is probably because I was exposed to him when he was pumping volume.

His earlier work before Marvel seemed better, but again, not a huge fan of his blockiness in general. 

Ironically, Miller went from realism to blockiness and it didn't bother me as much, probably because I was hooked in Miller's earlier stuff before I was exposed to his later stuff, so I already had an emotional attachment to Miller. 

I can see the appeal of Kirby in his sequential story telling, but I still don't like the way he draws figures (and particularly women). 

On 9/19/2024 at 7:46 AM, comicwiz said:

I would argue no matter how high the King's output got, there was never a lacking consistency in quality. No one came close, and never will. Others doing a quarter of his output began showing a slip on quality when they were tasked to do a series, too many names to list here. Or even "cover-only" artists that still only cranked out a cover or two at most eventually began to reveal mediocre results, often without having anywhere near the constraints of handling multiple tasks or projects. No one has ever come up with such a unique style while maintaining consistent quality for the speed to which he had to crank out art. If there was ever any reliable barometer to advance this notion, it's the value Kirby's art attains as a titan in the OA market, and to diminish his title as King by comparing him to anyone is perhaps as big a larceny as the lacking acknowledgement, credit and pay he had to endure as an artist working under Lee.

Would he still be King if his body of work was much smaller but had more attention to detail?

On 9/19/2024 at 10:57 AM, Ken Aldred said:

The joke at one stage here was that we were all called Gary. It seemed common.

Now all the Ians, Nigels, and Trevors are being short-changed.  

On 9/19/2024 at 12:09 PM, VintageComics said:

Ironically, Miller went from realism to blockiness and it didn't bother me as much, probably because I was hooked in Miller's earlier stuff before I was exposed to his later stuff, so I already had an emotional attachment to Miller. 

Miller was also *ahem* actually writing his own stuff, and it showed. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu