• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,600 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I am going to sock this thread until I have time to go through it.  There seems to be a pretty big stack of reports.

• Administrator

I've removed some posts.  If you quoted someone's post that I have removed, yours will be removed as well.   No warnings were issued this time. This threads getting to be a lot of work.  I'll reopen it and see how things go...

• Administrator

I have received reports from multiple people regarding religious posts.  Especially, if they drift to a political nature.  With respect to those people, going forward, I think we can do without the religion in this thread.  

On 10/1/2024 at 10:27 PM, jdandns said:

This is from Alan Moore's 2022 novella "What We Can Know About The Thunderman", a savage satire of the superhero comic industry.

In it, a fictional writer, Dan Wheems, reflects on his own well-received 90's comics that used a veiled version of the Avengers for Marvel Comics, here called Massive.

(Joe Gold is Jack Kirby and Sam Blatz is Stan Lee):

Thanks for pointing that out. But Dan is clearly Moore and the book being discussed is Watchmen. I didn't know that Alan Moore had guilt about ripping off Charlton heroes (was not the Avengers). In fact, Giordano would not let Moore use his beloved Charlton heroes the way he wanted to which is why Moore had to create a bunch of Charlton dopplegangers. But the guilt he apparently felt is really interesting. It's a very interesting way of expressing his thoughts. I'm going to have to read that.

Moore is an odd and eccentric guy and, of course, a brilliant writer. He is also a fanatic about certain issues, including creator rights. I'd certainly seek Moore out for a well-written story. I don't think I'd seek him out for a non-fiction history.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 10/2/2024 at 1:33 AM, AJD said:

This is not true. I have shelves full of books about comics and would happily buy and read another about Marvel's silver age renaissance. But I already knew that Stan Lee hugely embellished his own role, and I think most people with a more than passing interest in the Silver Age know that too.

A parallel that comes to mind is Walt Disney, another figure who put his name on many, many creations that were largely the work of someone else. But it's fascinating to read accounts of what he did do, as well as what he didn't. Barks and Kelly both tell of Walt dropping into the production offices and sitting through discussions and making sometimes valuable suggestions. That's the sort of thing I'd read - I'd like to know what Lee did do as well as what he didn't do. Nothing in your posting here makes me think that's what I'd get. Once you said "You can cry all you want about your hero. I'm going to spend the rest of my life shoving the truth right down the throat of the world" I was out. Lee isn't my hero, so I don't need a polemic telling me why he shouldn't be. But he's still an interesting and important figure in a field I'm deeply interested in.

Walt in MANY cases was like Lucas where he gave others a task but was constantly tweaking things.  Even up to zero hour as Disneyland was opening, he was running around making sure things were as he had envisioned him.  It was well known though in many cases who did what.  Disney was the face of his company but even in the 50's no one believed that he was the songwriter for Cruella D'evil in 101 Dalmations.  As the company gets bigger, Walt cannot be everywhere, so they even had to have someone else voice Mickey, the character he helped create and voice since its inception.   Even though Walt gives a lot of responsibility to lead animators Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnson, Walt is showing up at every single film to critique, shape, direct, and tweak things.    

On 10/2/2024 at 12:33 PM, AJD said:

This is not true. I have shelves full of books about comics and would happily buy and read another about Marvel's silver age renaissance. But I already knew that Stan Lee hugely embellished his own role, and I think most people with a more than passing interest in the Silver Age know that too.

That quote was directed toward a specific group of people here. 

And I believe you have no idea just HOW MUCH Stan Lee Lied. Even I was surprised at how much BS is in that Origins book.

"Embellished"? Yeah, the people with a passing interest have no idea.

A parallel that comes to mind is Walt Disney, another figure who put his name on many, many creations that were largely the work of someone else. But it's fascinating to read accounts of what he did do, as well as what he didn't. Barks and Kelly both tell of Walt dropping into the production offices and sitting through discussions and making sometimes valuable suggestions. That's the sort of thing I'd read -

So go read it. There's 20x more books out there that'll hold your hand and tell you how Lee was a magician with a word balloon.

That's the funny thing. You guys believe the placement of a word balloon makes that much of a difference - how come a Don Heck/Stan Lee comic never sold as many comics as a Jack Kirby/Stan Lee comic? If it came down to Lee's dialogue and Lee's word balloon placement and Lee's Bullpen Bulletins, why didn't all the comics sell the same?

Why..., after Kirby left the Fantastic Four... did it immediately drop 55,000 copies a month? Lee had Romita and John Buscema doing the art - why the big drop? Still his dialogue - still his word balloon placement - still his Bullpen Bulletins (actually those were already being ghost written by 1970 most likely)

I'd like to know what Lee did do as well as what he didn't do. Nothing in your posting here makes me think that's what I'd get.

LOL. Ok. 

Once you said "You can cry all you want about your hero. I'm going to spend the rest of my life shoving the truth right down the throat of the world" I was out. Lee isn't my hero, so I don't need a polemic telling me why he shouldn't be. But he's still an interesting and important figure in a field I'm deeply interested in.

At some point, if you're TRULY interested in the history of Marvel Comics... you're going to realize you MISSED something here.

Sorry. Not going to grovel for anyone's dollar. I KNOW what I put together here. What I put together here is IMPORTANT. 

Some of the conversations I've had with more important people than on the 'CGC forum' agree.

This book will outlive ME.

On 10/2/2024 at 12:12 AM, Prince Namor said:

You really think he's a fanatic?

In the same way, I always found Ditko's rigid moral code to be a highly honorable thing, I see it the same way with Moore and Watchmen. Most people couldn't look at a movie version of something they've written and say, "I don't want a penny of your dirty money". 

That takes... that's just... honorable.

I know in a society like ours where conmen, and cheaters and wall street insiders are seen as heroes, I guess... maybe people think it's naive...but...

As a fan, I don't view the term "fanatic" in the least bit negatively. I just think that Moore has stronger views and actions when it comes to creator rights than 99% of comic professionals. I assume from your comment on this what we agree on this.

On 10/2/2024 at 2:43 PM, sfcityduck said:

As a fan, I don't view the term "fanatic" in the least bit negatively. I just think that Moore has stronger views and actions when it comes to creator rights than 99% of comic professionals. I assume from your comment on this what we agree on this.

Yep.

On 10/2/2024 at 8:34 AM, Prince Namor said:

Some of the conversations I've had with more important people than on the 'CGC forum' agree.

So why did you start a thread on the CGC forum promoting your book?

It's clear you don't care about what less important people think.

A so called author be creating a distinction between his audience....Wow!

Kudos on the PR. (worship)

On 10/2/2024 at 9:41 AM, fast eddie said:

I have not read "Origins" or your book Prince Namor,,,,, but I would like to offer you my congratulations on your tenacity in your research and belief of your book. I find your view admirable in the face of Stan's "35 years of uncontested publicity",,,,, and I appreciate the energy it must take to untangle all the stories and static that has been archived through the years. I'm not sure I will purchase either book,,as I have my own "fuzzy warm" memories of the comic world,,, and I prefer them to what may or may not be the truth,, but thank you for your efforts,,, and thank you all for your spirited and sometimes intelligent back and forth banter on this prickly subject,,,,, it's hard to admit that we lie,,,,, I lie,,,,,sometimes,,,,,you lie,,,,,,sometimes,,,,we lie,,,,well I hope you understand,,,,,, I appreciate you all!

I think the quest to know how it happened in real time so to speak, does not burst your bubble but gives you an appreciation of how something extraordinary occurs...and this was so special. The reality is not that bubble bursting but more...Oh OK...I have gained more respect for everyone else...team effort..for sure....eye opener...for sure....should you read it or the preview...for sure

On 10/1/2024 at 5:52 PM, CGC Mike said:

I've removed some posts.  If you quoted someone's post that I have removed, yours will be removed as well.   No warnings were issued this time. This threads getting to be a lot of work.  I'll reopen it and see how things go...

I can take over from here if you'd like... :whistle:

On 10/2/2024 at 2:03 PM, comicwiz said:

Later on, while the artist is making his drawings, he puts little notes on the side of the pages indicating what the hell he's drawing, just to help me know what he's doing in the various panels.

The second part of that quote is what clinches this as something closer to the truth, and at a time period where you can't really reach for him being too old to remember accurately, memory decline, etc.

This is 1969, 8 years after the creation of FF #1. And it's literally from the horses mouth.

In previous posts, I mention how there are ways to see this in the original art borders/margins of works where he's stuck his signature on, even though he didn't contribute in any meaningful way.

Where the storytelling was being entirely handled by the artist.

Flashman literally admits this, becuase he doesn't know 'what the hell he's drawing.' 

IF his involvement was as he has long claimed, there simply would be no way for him to not know.

Moreoever, he admits that the artists are providing details/description for him in each panel.

A plagiarist could reword something written by someone else to appear his own, but in actual substantive sense, he isn't doing anything more than parotting what the artists has rendered, both visually and in written dialogue. 

He's admitting it's all being done for him, and all he's doing is taking undeserved credit. 

This is what a bored Flashman does to pass time he doesn't apparently have.

Edited by comicwiz

On 10/2/2024 at 11:03 AM, comicwiz said:

I see.

I'll see your quote with this one:

Cartoonist PROfiles #4 (December 1969) - Stan Lee Interviewed by Jud Hurd
Q: Are these sessions between writer and artist verbal or written?
Lee: They can be either way. I verbalize them myself. I don't have the time or the interest. I'm too bored to write the plot out and I have the kind of relationship with the artist where we sit and talk for five minutes about it. Later on, while the artist is making his drawings, he puts little notes on the side of the pages indicating what the hell he's drawing, just to help me know what he's doing in the various panels.

Did those words make you appreciate Stan more?

Because I'll tell you, any self-respecting "editor" or anything, whether it's the National Eqnuirer or NY Times, should never be quoted as saying they are "too bored" doing the job their being paid to do.

It's a flip but accurate description of what was happening in 1969. And by the end of the 1960s my personal view is that both Stan and Jack were on the decline. The only writing credit Stan had that year was Spider-Man according to GCD. It's not how Stan would and did describe 1961. 

It really doesn't impact my view of Stan. I evaluate his writing based on the words on the page. And I always enjoyed his dialogue and his editorial content. It was great for its time. And some has passed the test of time which few comics do.