• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to buy with 9,000? Help!
2 2

35 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I am selling a really high grade book for about 9k. My original plan was to use the funds for a copy of ASM #1 in maybe a CGC 2.0 or around there . Now I am not so sure.  I kind of want to buy a bunch of lesser keys like 1st Ghost Rider, TOD #10, ASM 14, some Tales From the Crypt, Vault of Horror 35, maybe a copy of ASM 2 or 3 as well . 

These will be long term buys so my question is, what will grow the most in value over time,  one major key or a bunch of lesser keys which are still great books in mid or even lower grades.

Thanks ! 

On 9/12/2024 at 2:53 PM, RobMadoo said:

I think comics are poor investment vehicles relative to stocks. Collectibles can go out of favor if younger generations aren’t interested. Comics can be damaged by water, fire, mishandling, dropped, environmental exposure, lost in the mail, stolen, etc. also they can be tough to sell for fmv and you usually incur 10-20% fees if selling using a 3rd party.  So if you want to sell 10x $1000 comics to raise funds that can be difficult to do quickly while still realizing fmv. Stocks on the other hand can be liquidated with a press of a button any time the market is open for fmv. I love comics and have a fair amount of expensive books but if your main goal is an investment, then I’d pursue something more liquid. Just my two cents. Good luck!

I would not be worried more than for something else about damage if we re talking about slabbed book

Nobody can really predict what will grow the most over time, it might be the one book you choose it might be a group of books you choose depends on your choices and the market. But in either case none of us can predict that, and just to be clear you can’t either. I say that to get to the point that you could be looking at that book or set of books a few years from now and see they’ve halved in value (like what just happened from 2021-2024) or you may see they’ve more than doubled in value in a few years time (like what happened from 2018-2021). And yes I know you’re in it for the long haul you’re saying but still, staring at books that have halved in value in a few years isn’t a great experience ….unless of course you actually 1. Buy what you love. And 2. Are in a place to financially be okay losing that amount in the event you’d need to sell quicker than your plans. 

So my advice assuming 2, is to not take advice on the specific book to buy from anyone on the internet, buy what you love and understand if it does go up in value that’s the cherry on top, but owning something you love is the sundae. 

On 9/12/2024 at 8:53 AM, RobMadoo said:

I think comics are poor investment vehicles relative to stocks. Collectibles can go out of favor if younger generations aren’t interested. Comics can be damaged by water, fire, mishandling, dropped, environmental exposure, lost in the mail, stolen, etc. also they can be tough to sell for fmv and you usually incur 10-20% fees if selling using a 3rd party.  So if you want to sell 10x $1000 comics to raise funds that can be difficult to do quickly while still realizing fmv. Stocks on the other hand can be liquidated with a press of a button any time the market is open for fmv. I love comics and have a fair amount of expensive books but if your main goal is an investment, then I’d pursue something more liquid. Just my two cents. Good luck!

For sure, I hear you . I'm seeing what's best for me to do overall comic buying wise. I know I could prob maximize the funds if I put them into stocks, but that's not the plan here. I had some books passed down to me and whatever I make from them I want to reinvest it into more books, books I'll hold for enjoyment but also books that when I sell them years or decades from now will have appreciated, even if it's only a little bit. It's a pure love of the hobby reinvest , not one concerned with maximizing proverbial profits. 

I was dead set on ASM 1 because there's no way I'd ever be able to afford even a .5, but now that I have some funds I'm thinking of buying a bunch of other less expensive keys. 🤔 

Thanks for responding 

On 9/12/2024 at 3:21 AM, yoda12288 said:

Hey all,

I am selling a really high grade book for about 9k. My original plan was to use the funds for a copy of ASM #1 in maybe a CGC 2.0 or around there . Now I am not so sure.  I kind of want to buy a bunch of lesser keys like 1st Ghost Rider, TOD #10, ASM 14, some Tales From the Crypt, Vault of Horror 35, maybe a copy of ASM 2 or 3 as well . 

These will be long term buys so my question is, what will grow the most in value over time,  one major key or a bunch of lesser keys which are still great books in mid or even lower grades.

Thanks ! 

Diversity is advisable in investing. For many years, ASM #1 was considered a lesser key.

My first point would be, buy what would bring you the most collecting joy, if you are not looking at it from an "investment" standpoint.

Now personally, I am 100% biased in your dilemma, but I would go with the ASM #1. I would say an affordable graded copy of ASM #1 may weather any price fluctuations better than some of the bronze mid-level characters / 1st appearances you are looking at. And if you are not in a rush, buy the nicest 2.0 or whatever you can. Hard to go wrong with Spidey :wink:.

Also, achieving some of those other keys post ASM 1 purchase over time will be far more attainable than trying to get ASM 1 after the big spend.

2c

On 9/12/2024 at 9:02 AM, Tnexus said:

I'd buy a nice OA cover or page personally. 1 of 1's will likely retain more value.

+1

I sold my books awhile back - gave 2/3 to my wife to invest, kept 1/3 for original art. The flooding of CGC graded books across SA and BA causing values to plummet over the past few years gave me the warning signal to let go of my GA books. Not to mention trying to collect GA and Original Art was not sustainable from a budget standpoint. 

The OP might not be into original art, but if you've sold a big book - perhaps taking the time to refocus what you're into will ensure you don't spend that on something you're not quite into. Selling one big book to buy lesser ones is always a tough choice - because monetarily, it's way easier to save up and buy lesser keys (plus they are plentiful) than it is to buy a single big price tag book. If OP is going to stick with comics, I'd roll that $9K into another $9k book.

On 9/12/2024 at 6:21 AM, yoda12288 said:

Hey all,

Thanks ! 

buy 9 k of $SPY

make sure you take care of whatever tax situation you are in and keep enough cash to cover it (if the situation warrants).  

Just do that app that follows politicians buying/selling stocks.  

Or you can probably get crazy good odds on NY Giants winning the Superbowl.

If you have $9,000 to spend I'd pick a Silver-Age 1st appearance like JIM 83 or X-Men 1 in terms of prices going up from here in the long term.  Bronze Age may see an increase over the next 5 - 10 years but with the high number of copies I don't have faith they won't come down in price over a 15 - 20 year time period.  Looks like you could get a nice 4.5 ish copy of X-Men 1 which should hold up well.  ASM 1 is not a terrible choice but since it's not his 1st appearances I just think it will be left behind as AF 15 continues to go up in the future.  Just my opinion and it really depends on what you like.

Edited by 1Cool