• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,770 posts in this topic

While I'm not new to collecting Original Art, been buying published art since 1993 (sketches back to the 80's), I'm quite new to this board. This past year and a half has been slow on acquisitions as much that I'm interested is now getting into the five figures range and I also had been busy with life issues. While I rarely buy commissions, but might start more in the future, my most recent acquisition, which is a commission, I got in trade from comic book writer/New York Times Best Selling Author, Brad Meltzer.

In October 2012 Brad contacted me through CAF asking me if I was willing to sell or trade a splash page I had from issue #16 with Ollie and Roy in costumes leaping into action (see additional image), with a billboard in the background that asks "Trust your Friends?", which was Brad's motto from his first novel. Turns out he didn't put it in his -script but editor Bob Schreck had it added. Brad had been searching for the page for a long time as I guess I was quicker than he was when the page was first available from the artists. I didn't want to sell it but asked if he could get Phil and Ande to do a commission of the "Green Arrow Family" that I would trade it.

I rarely ever do commissions anymore and when I have I've had great results being patient as both Alex Ross and Dave Gibbons each had my sketchbook for about a year. This piece arrived earlier this month but have only now had the time to post it.

711693595_o.jpg

While I'm not new to collecting Original Art, been buying published art since 1993 (sketches back to the 80's), I'm quite new to this board. This past year and a half has been slow on acquisitions as much that I'm interested is now getting into the five figures range and I also had been busy with life issues. While I rarely buy commissions, but might start more in the future, my most recent acquisition, which is a commission, I got in trade from comic book writer/New York Times Best Selling Author, Brad Meltzer.

In October 2012 Brad contacted me through CAF asking me if I was willing to sell or trade a splash page I had from issue #16 with Ollie and Roy in costumes leaping into action (see additional image), with a billboard in the background that asks "Trust your Friends?", which was Brad's motto from his first novel. Turns out he didn't put it in his -script but editor Bob Schreck had it added. Brad had been searching for the page for a long time as I guess I was quicker than he was when the page was first available from the artists. I didn't want to sell it but asked if he could get Phil and Ande to do a commission of the "Green Arrow Family" that I would trade it.

I rarely ever do commissions anymore and when I have I've had great results being patient as both Alex Ross and Dave Gibbons each had my sketchbook for about a year. This piece arrived earlier this month but have only now had the time to post it.

Great story.Everybody happy in the end.And a great piece!

Since this thread is "this week in my original art collection" and not necessarily new art, let me post some art I got which I just added stats to this week.

These are Do-It-Yourself stats which I printed and pasted on acetate which I layered between the matte and the art.

You can click on the link below the title and before the photo - if you want to see what the art looks like without the stats.

Flash 254 Cover Recreation by Joe Rubenstein after Dillin

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=890565

Flash-254-Rubinstein-Recreation-Framed_zps22a23ccc.jpg

Superman Man of Steel TPB Vol. 3 Cover by Jerry Ordway:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=892291

Man-of-Steel-Vol3-TPB-Jerry-Ordway-Framed-Stats_zpsd92c4078.jpg

I added stats on the Superman cover because of this thread in this forum:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7120730#Post7120730

Someone told me that "a cover without logos can easily be mistaken for a commission."

I have no regrets adding those stats, especially on the Superman piece. It really makes Superman stand out more as opposed to just blending in with the rocks.