• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ruben Blades Collection on CC
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2024 at 1:55 PM, atomised said:

There's not a problem, I've just never heard of him and unlikely many have unless you're tracking who wins Latin Grammys in this hobby

Dude, he is very prolific even outside of that. This is really more a you not knowing problem, and thinking if you don't know it then nobody else will. Anybody in this hobby who has even looked into famous collectors will know of him (Heck, most here will know of him anyways from Predator 2)

On 9/13/2024 at 6:17 PM, rob_react said:

I was hyped for this auction. He's got a bunch of crazy stuff. Yeah, there's a lot of restored material in there, but who cares when it's stuff you never see.

There aren't many complete sets at all, so I know the answer, but I'll pose the question anyway- how often do you see a full Catman run for sale? Just that is impressive. 

That would have been GAtor's set, here on these boards, circa 2015 (or thereabouts). Unless there's been another since?

Cross-posting my one and only.  Hopefully more to come, but I kind of doubt it with all the attention this auction is getting.

image.thumb.jpeg.966cd5667ecacbb08ce58c932b1df074.jpeg

Bought this a bit high on 3/2022 from CC, but I paid for pedigree.

This same comic seems to have been sold by CC 10 years prior on 8/2012 (for considerably less)

image.thumb.jpeg.24ed8284cb14d1839fb82614842bdac4.jpeg

I wonder if I was on the leading edge of this sale, or that it had already gotten out into the wild and it was just a coincidence that they are all coming to market now.  2 1/2 years seems like a long time to hold a collection (shrug).

Edited by kent allard

On 9/13/2024 at 11:20 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Dude, he is very prolific even outside of that. This is really more a you not knowing problem, and thinking if you don't know it then nobody else will. Anybody in this hobby who has even looked into famous collectors will know of him (Heck, most here will know of him anyways from Predator 2)

fair, thank you

On 9/13/2024 at 10:55 AM, atomised said:

There's not a problem, I've just never heard of him and unlikely many have unless you're tracking who wins Latin Grammys in this hobby

I'm not personally tracking Latin Grammys, although I like some Latin Music (still no expert on it). But Ruben Blades has won 12 regular Grammys plus 11 Latin Grammys.  

In any event, Ruben Blades is also an actor who, according to Wikipedia, had "prominent roles in films such as Crossover Dreams (1985), The Milagro Beanfield War (1988), The Super (1991), Predator 2 (1990), Color of Night (1994), Safe House (2012), The Counselor (2013) and Hands of Stone (2016), along with three Emmy Award nominations for his performances in The Josephine Baker Story (1991), Crazy from the Heart (1992) and The Maldonado Miracle (2003). He portrayed Daniel Salazar, a main character on the TV series Fear the Walking Dead (2015–2017; 2019–2023)."  (I bolded the comic related acting jobs.)

No one outside of our niche has ever heard of Jon Berk or Christine Farrell, but we still name collections after them. I get that the bar is lower for celebrities like Nic Cage or even quasi-celebrities like Ian and his "DC Universe Collection," but in the end if its a notable collection (as opposed to an OO pedigree), no matter the celebrity, then I'm ok with it getting a label by CGC or at an auction. 

On 9/13/2024 at 3:25 PM, sfcityduck said:

I'm not personally tracking Latin Grammys, although I like some Latin Music (still no expert on it). But Ruben Blades has won 12 regular Grammys plus 11 Latin Grammys.  

In any event, Ruben Blades is also an actor who, according to Wikipedia, had "prominent roles in films such as Crossover Dreams (1985), The Milagro Beanfield War (1988), The Super (1991), Predator 2 (1990), Color of Night (1994), Safe House (2012), The Counselor (2013) and Hands of Stone (2016), along with three Emmy Award nominations for his performances in The Josephine Baker Story (1991), Crazy from the Heart (1992) and The Maldonado Miracle (2003). He portrayed Daniel Salazar, a main character on the TV series Fear the Walking Dead (2015–2017; 2019–2023)."  (I bolded the comic related acting jobs.)

No one outside of our niche has ever heard of Jon Berk or Christine Farrell, but we still name collections after them. I get that the bar is lower for celebrities like Nic Cage or even quasi-celebrities like Ian and his "DC Universe Collection," but in the end if its a notable collection (as opposed to an OO pedigree), no matter the celebrity, then I'm ok with it getting a label by CGC or at an auction. 

Does Ian still show up if you mention his name?

On 9/13/2024 at 8:29 PM, rob_react said:

Does Ian still show up if you mention his name?

I think he chimed in once on this subforum not that long ago regarding the auction of his former collection by PBA. But that may have been the only time since he sold all his books in the mid-noughties.

On 9/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, sfcityduck said:

Fair!  I amended my original post, I'm in for this!