• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stamped Comic Book
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Welcome To the Boards!!!

I personally do not know CGC's current stance for "store stamps" on modern books, I did find this old thread but it does not really offer any black and white answers.

Also, if you are sending the book for grading looking for a Yellow Signature Series label with an unwitnessed by CGC signature you will have to pay to have the signature authenticated or you will recieve a Green Qualified Label or a much lower grade Blue Universal Label stating "writing on cover".

In case you are not aware, if you have one, "Certificates Of Authenticity" are not honered by CGC as they can be easily made or counterfeited and if you send it in with the book, they will not include it in the slab, they will probably dispode of it, so, do not send it in.

On 9/15/2024 at 10:47 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Welcome To the Boards!!!

I personally do not know CGC's current stance for "store stamps" on modern books, I did find this old thread but it does not really offer any black and white answers.

Also, if you are sending the book for grading looking for a Yellow Signature Series label with an unwitnessed by CGC signature you will have to pay to have the signature authenticated or you will recieve a Green Qualified Label or a much lower grade Blue Universal Label stating "writing on cover".

In case you are not aware, if you have one, "Certificates Of Authenticity" are not honered by CGC as they can be easily made or counterfeited and if you send it in with the book, they will not include it in the slab, they will probably dispode of it, so, do not send it in.

Going off topic here - but I don’t think CGC will grade any book with an unverified signature anymore unless you pay for JSA services. If you don’t select that option, CGC will automatically charge you for it anyway. This was a huge change recently and I don’t think enough people are aware of it. 

What is happening to the CGC Qualified green label?

Autographed comics will no longer be encapsulated with the CGC Qualified green label or CGC Signature Series Qualified green and yellow label. Instead, comics with not genuine or unverifiable autographs will be encapsulated with the CGC Universal blue label (the label and grader notes will identify the not genuine or unverifiable autograph) or the CGC Signature Series label (the label and grader notes will identify the not genuine or unverifiable autograph).

Please note that the CGC Qualified green label will still be used for certain other qualifying factors, such as when a sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of a comic (see above).

Can I opt out of JSA autograph authentication and receive the CGC Qualified green label instead?

If the autograph is on the cover of the comic, it must be submitted for JSA autograph authentication. The autograph will be authenticated by JSA and then seamlessly transferred to CGC for grading and encapsulation. If you do not select JSA autograph authentication, this service will automatically be added and the submitter will be responsible for appliable fees.

If the autograph is on the inside of the comic, you may choose whether to have it authenticated by JSA.

On 9/15/2024 at 10:02 AM, shadroch said:

I've seen Free Comic Book Day comics with a store stamp graded with a green label. I'd expect this would, too, but they are so inconsistent that one never knows what might happen.

On 9/14/2024 at 10:05 PM, jgoldnick said:

I recently purchased a copy of Infinity Gauntlet #1 signed by George Perez. This is stamped on the back. How will this affect the grade?

As of two years ago this is still the same stance.

I asked about this for a copy of spider-man/venom FCBD and I was told any store stamp on a comic would be ignored for grading but receive a qualified label. When I asked why this was the case for modern books when silver (maybe bronze?) it would be ignored unless it hurt the book, they didn't have a response.

CGC picks some of the most weirdly mundane hills to die on for their "that's just the way we do things" mentality.

On 9/15/2024 at 11:26 AM, Msgarmar said:

Going off topic here - but I don’t think CGC will grade any book with an unverified signature anymore unless you pay for JSA services. If you don’t select that option, CGC will automatically charge you for it anyway. This was a huge change recently and I don’t think enough people are aware of it. 

What is happening to the CGC Qualified green label?

Autographed comics will no longer be encapsulated with the CGC Qualified green label or CGC Signature Series Qualified green and yellow label. Instead, comics with not genuine or unverifiable autographs will be encapsulated with the CGC Universal blue label (the label and grader notes will identify the not genuine or unverifiable autograph) or the CGC Signature Series label (the label and grader notes will identify the not genuine or unverifiable autograph).

Please note that the CGC Qualified green label will still be used for certain other qualifying factors, such as when a sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of a comic (see above).

Can I opt out of JSA autograph authentication and receive the CGC Qualified green label instead?

If the autograph is on the cover of the comic, it must be submitted for JSA autograph authentication. The autograph will be authenticated by JSA and then seamlessly transferred to CGC for grading and encapsulation. If you do not select JSA autograph authentication, this service will automatically be added and the submitter will be responsible for appliable fees.

If the autograph is on the inside of the comic, you may choose whether to have it authenticated by JSA.

Thanks for the updated info, I had no idea.

G.I Joe.jpg

The Official CGC Guide to Grading Comics by CGC President Matt Nelson lists Stamp as a defect and it's possible effect on grade. 

The short version - not much.  Small stamps only prevent a 9.9 or 10 grade.  "If the stamp is large and obtrusive, covers important parts of the front cover or has been applied many times, it can have an adverse effect on the grade, possibly as low as 8.0"

The stamp is relatively large but it's on the back cover.  The condition of the rest of the book of course matters, but IMHO the stamp itself maybe limits the book to a top grade of 9.4. 

As others have mentioned, you will be paying for and getting a JSA/CGC signature series book back - unless the signature is inside the book.