• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can You Identify This CGC Custom Label?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2024 at 12:18 PM, RobHW said:

I can't track it down

If you are asking about the label artwork, it was a limited label from an art school contest.  I believe "Ringling" might help in your search.

On 9/26/2024 at 4:06 PM, Yorick said:

If you are asking about the label artwork, it was a limited label from an art school contest.  I believe "Ringling" might help in your search.

That's it!  Thank you!  It was on the Batman #197 slab I recently purchased on eBay.  Well that's very interesting and very cool.

It is from a CGC Custom Label Contest in 2021 with a neighboring prestigious art school, Ringling College of Art and Design.  Ringling students competed and constructed original art for a Science Fiction / Horror themed custom label.  CGC offered the FIRST-PLACE winning label only, submitted by Computer Animation major Elena Serenko, graduation year 2024.  The label design was available for a limited time for Universal and Signature Series comic book submissions.

Edited by RobHW

On 9/26/2024 at 1:25 PM, RobHW said:

That's it!  Thank you!  It was on the Batman #197 slab I recently purchased on eBay.  Well that's very interesting and very cool.

The Ringling contest labels were very nice.  I had wanted several of them, but the timing wasn't right.  You know, trying to gather the specific book to have matched with the specific label and then getting them sent in during the brief window of availability....  oh well.  :691460725_armsraised:

On 9/26/2024 at 2:28 PM, Yorick said:

The Ringling contest labels were very nice.  I had wanted several of them, but the timing wasn't right.  You know, trying to gather the specific book to have matched with the specific label and then getting them sent in during the brief window of availability....  oh well.  :691460725_armsraised:

I am not sure why any and all labels created are not available to be ordered on an ongoing basis. Takes some storage space on a hard drive or two at the most.

On 9/26/2024 at 4:52 PM, Artboy99 said:

I am not sure why any and all labels created are not available to be ordered on an ongoing basis. Takes some storage space on a hard drive or two at the most.

I think CGC buys the "base" labels from a supplier, they only add the detailed text to it during the grading/slabbing process. CGC likely doesn't want to maintain an infinite amount of inventory (and complexity which could further damage quality controls) and only offers a few custom labels at a time.

Now their supplier has all those designs on a hard drive or two that CGC could re-order at any time :)

CGC could do a "retro" special period every now and then to bring back some of the most popular customs (maybe do a poll here on the boards or main page).

-bc