• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading shenanigans at CGC?
9 9

387 posts in this topic

I agree with the sentiments here, but I'm not sure if a solution is sought it will be found, kind of "it is what it is" and for some it will be deserving after a long run of being overlooked.

Jilted past, present, and onward looking to the future and what will it be..... :shy: 

On 10/19/2024 at 9:59 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree with the sentiments here, but I'm not sure if a solution is sought it will be found, kind of "it is what it is" and for some it will be deserving after a long run of being overlooked.

Jilted past, present, and onward looking to the future and what will it be..... :shy: 

After having north of a thousand books that got 9.8s without a single higher grade I was more than ok with the news that 9.9s are being awarded a bit more often. Over the past couple of years the books I sent in seemed capped at a 9.8 and I felt that was a problem. I just want to get the grade that the book is at, and since I was never told that I was paying for a service that caps books at 9.8 I expect to be able to get 9.9s and 10s on the rare occasion that a book deserves it. So I saw the change where those grades as possible once again as fixing an existing issue, although I get why people argue it causes other issues.

My two most recent submissions, on at SFG and the other waiting for the box to be opened and entered into the system, are both my attempts to get my first 9.9. The first was a group of 25 Spawn books that made comparison from copy to copy easy, and the most recent one has bunches of multiple copies of the same book when I screened out ones with any flaws in the corners. 

I dont assume anything nefarious happened with the submission we are discussing, but since we dont know who submitted it and no one has stepped forward I guess we will never know for sure either way. 

@Stefan_W I read this statement a couple of days ago "10's & 9.9's increased dramatically even as the monthly submissions decreased "

I just read this by you a few minutes ago "9.9s are being awarded a bit more often."

I'm going to try to think like you more often. You seem to have a 'glass half full' mentality. (thumbsu

On 10/17/2024 at 12:55 PM, brute_nm said:

UV also gives CGC incentive to give higher grades because the grading fee is a % of FMV instead of flat rate.

So instead of getting $20-25 per book, they can give it a 9.9 and get $250-300 per book (SW8 9.9 FMV is currently around $6000-8000).

"I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine."

I've said this since the inception of CGC.  The entire business model has been suspect to me since the start.  I eventually - many, many years later - caved in and "played the game."  And here I am.