• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does HA charge to scan/photograph when you consign?

15 posts in this topic

I consigned a bunch of random art and some posters and animation cels earlier this year. I was surprised how HA is structured internally. Even though you have a guy that handles you, he has to organize consignments with the directors of those divisions. For example, even though animation art is sold in the weekly comic art auctions it falls under the purview of the animation art director, so it is subject to the rules of that dept about not taking back items they previously sold.

Posters does charge a fee for photography but my consignment handler waived it when he processed the final payment. I learned this when I called and tried to have my pending payout applied to an auction win, but the central line people cant seem to finalize invoices in the same way as your consignment handler. So that 4-6 week wait after the hammer falls is when all that final paperwork gets handled. 

My question is how do you pay for invoices using proceeds from sales as the timing never matches up?

On 10/21/2024 at 12:33 AM, cstojano said:

I consigned a bunch of random art and some posters and animation cels earlier this year. I was surprised how HA is structured internally. Even though you have a guy that handles you, he has to organize consignments with the directors of those divisions. For example, even though animation art is sold in the weekly comic art auctions it falls under the purview of the animation art director, so it is subject to the rules of that dept about not taking back items they previously sold.

Yeah, I was looking at selling some non-comic items for the first time and was shocked at how balkanized they are internally.

Their rules about not taking back items they previously sold are insane.  It's a huge disincentive for bidders because it reduces liquidity if you ever want to resell in the future.  It also steers people towards their competitors. 

I guess we should be grateful that Ed Jaster helped set the eminently reasonable rules for comics and OA.  Maybe Heritage should do an internal assessment and think about why that has grown into their biggest department.  If Heritage suddenly stopped resales of comics and OA, CC and Clink would be popping open the champagne because of all the new business they'd be getting.  

On 10/21/2024 at 12:33 AM, cstojano said:

My question is how do you pay for invoices using proceeds from sales as the timing never matches up?

Get an advance, or just let a balance from sales build up that you can then apply to later purchases.  

On 10/21/2024 at 1:41 AM, tth2 said:

Yeah, I was looking at selling some non-comic items for the first time and was shocked at how balkanized they are internally.

Their rules about not taking back items they previously sold are insane.  It's a huge disincentive for bidders because it reduces liquidity if you ever want to resell in the future.  It also steers people towards their competitors. 

I guess we should be grateful that Ed Jaster helped set the eminently reasonable rules for comics and OA.  Maybe Heritage should do an internal assessment and think about why that has grown into their biggest department.  If Heritage suddenly stopped resales of comics and OA, CC and Clink would be popping open the champagne because of all the new business they'd be getting.  

It certainly stops me from bidding on pieces in the animation category unless they are true keepers, including as recently as this weekend. The reason I was given was that they found resold pieces typically don't do very well. I know there's a lot of animation art out there but certainly they will run out of consignments.

On 10/21/2024 at 4:41 AM, tth2 said:

Is this only for animation art? I know I used to get coupons with auction wins that said reconsign this item for half rate later.

On 10/21/2024 at 4:41 AM, tth2 said:

I've seen a half a dozen example in the last 4 years of $100,000+ (up to over $1,000,000) books being bought and resold at Heritage as soon as 9 months later. They'd be out millions

On 10/21/2024 at 2:35 PM, Crowzilla said:

Is this only for animation art? I know I used to get coupons with auction wins that said reconsign this item for half rate later.

As far as I know it is animation art but not sure what other categories have this rule. Surely comics and comic art does not. 

Edited by cstojano

On 10/21/2024 at 5:46 PM, vodou said:

Definitely not. How else would Jim recycle all the junk he ends up winning guarantees on?

I assume they would make exceptions if someone got stuck with some dodgy Scooby Doo cel or something.

The variance from dept to dept implies a bit of planned competition among divisions, which I suppose is a good thing. I was also told that certain departments won't offer points to the seller, again, animation being one of them. 

On 10/22/2024 at 5:35 AM, Crowzilla said:
On 10/21/2024 at 4:41 PM, tth2 said:

Also for illustration art. 

Pricing is also department to department.  The entertainment memorabilia guys would not honor the pricing terms that I've got for comic-related stuff, which killed off any plans I had of selling some stuff through them.  It also really disincentivizes me when it comes to bidding aggressively on any of their entertainment memorabilia auctions going forward.  As cstojano said, I now have to take the view that the only entertainment memorabilia items I'd want to win are keepers, because as a matter of principle there's no way I'm going to pay full freight to resell anything through Heritage.  

On 10/22/2024 at 8:14 AM, tth2 said:

Also for illustration art. 

Pricing is also department to department.  The entertainment memorabilia guys would not honor the pricing terms that I've got for comic-related stuff, which killed off any plans I had of selling some stuff through them.  It also really disincentivizes me when it comes to bidding aggressively on any of their entertainment memorabilia auctions going forward.  As cstojano said, I now have to take the view that the only entertainment memorabilia items I'd want to win are keepers, because as a matter of principle there's no way I'm going to pay full freight to resell anything through Heritage.  

Thanks for confirming illustration art is the same. Just goes to show how thin some of these markets are. 

I follow props and entertainment mostly from the sidelines and to me it raises the most red flags and seems the most fee intensive with the least transparency.