• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What "Throw-away" characters have the most potential to become big?

28 posts in this topic

more recent first appearances than wolverine with big price spikes?

In the Marvel universe:

sabretooth

mystique

new x-men in general

gambit

venom

hobgoblin

blackcat

elektra

rogue (in 9.8)

spiderwoman

(I forget where furry beast and punisher are on the timeline -- maybe a few months before hulk 181?)

Granted, other than sabretooth, spiderwoman and mystique, I don't know if the above were really throw away characters

more recent first appearances than wolverine with big price spikes?

In the Marvel universe:

sabretooth

mystique

new x-men in general

gambit

venom

hobgoblin

blackcat

elektra

rogue (in 9.8)

spiderwoman

(I forget where furry beast and punisher are on the timeline -- maybe a few months before hulk 181?)

Granted, other than sabretooth, spiderwoman and mystique, I don't know if the above were really throw away characters

and the follow up question; can ANY of these characters support a (long-term) monthly book? Nope! So I'm not sure how 'big' any of them can really get. It makes me sad to think that the last 2 characters created who could sell a monthly, punisher and wolverine, were created more than 20 years ago...

perhaps Spawn qualifies there too, actually.

Perhaps it's a good story that supports a long-term monthly book nowadays, rather than a central strong character written by a mediocre writer.

Books like Fables, The Walking Dead, and Y: The Last Man seem to be doing just fine, and I think the hobby is better for it.

How about the Living Mummy. With the right gothic artist and writer......

I still think Killraven has a shot at being a cool title character some day. If only they'd make comics affordable to the masses again.

died in terms of $$ value. the individual issues are down 75% or so from when the series was still being published.

I see what you're saying. I was responding to your follow-up question, about characters that could support a long term book. When it comes to moderns, I don't even consider value, only the quality of the story.