• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Bad is Liefields Art?

134 posts in this topic

What's scary is that I think this is one of his better pieces in comparison to recent and past covers.

I agree with that. Actually, for Liefeld, it isn't that bad.

Typical anatomy issues, but not his worst. I think Impulse looks allright.

Nah, she looks like all the others do...on steroids, whilst suffering from rectal pain.

What's scary is that I think this is one of his better pieces in comparison to recent and past covers.

I agree with that. Actually, for Liefeld, it isn't that bad.

Typical anatomy issues, but not his worst. I think Impulse looks allright.

Nah, she looks like all the others do...on steroids, whilst suffering from rectal pain.

Or someone that needs to shave a little... crazy.gif

Jim

Seems like a good time as any to repost this:

enchant.jpg

Jim

Oh come on...

She's perfectly proportioned!

Let's see here... get out my trusty ruler...

She's 3 heads high from the waist up... and 7.5 heads high from the waist down...

What's wrong with that? confused-smiley-013.gif

Seems like a good time as any to repost this:

enchant.jpg

Jim

Oh come on...

She's perfectly proportioned!

Let's see here... get out my trusty ruler...

She's 3 heads high from the waist up... and 7.5 heads high from the waist down...

What's wrong with that? confused-smiley-013.gif

are you counting with the hair, or without?

personally, i love her whole distended torso action. and those boobies are to die for

So you're stuck on a desert island with the complete works of Frank Robbins (artwork only, none of the great Batman/Detective issues he wrote) or the complete works of Rob Liefield. Which one do you chose and why?

So you're stuck on a desert island with the complete works of Frank Robbins (artwork only, none of the great Batman/Detective issues he wrote) or the complete works of Rob Liefield. Which one do you chose and why?

Question: Did I bring a gun?

I start swimming.

It's true that Kirby's work sometimes exhibited bad anatomy - There were more than a few panels, splashes and covers where Sue Storm looked like she suffers from down syndrome.
I attribute that more to the poor inking of GEO BELL. Worst possible inker Kirby ever had. Made Vince Colleta seem passible.

Kirby's best inkers were, Stone, Sinnott, and Ayers.

Plenty of firewood would then be available. grin.gif

Hopefully the grotesquely shaped clouds generated by the smoke won't scare away any potential rescuers. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif.

I was teaching art in a high school when Liefeld was big. My students would bring his comics around. They loved it. It wasn't the anatomy they were concerned with. They liked the story telling.

And if you will allow me, Jim Steranko had rotten anatomy too and did what he did to create an emotional resonance. He said that he went farthest overboard in that double page spread in Captain America when he and Bucky are leaping out (at agents of Hydra, I think). In the extreme examples shown here, Liefeld is also trying to get a rise out of his audience by adjusting the anatomy to suit himself. Personally, it did nothing for me BUT we all know the kids who read his X-Men loved it.

I think he was easy to hate because he got the prime book at Marvel (X-Men) at age 18. Chris Claremont said that he, at that point, had been writing for Marvel since before Liefeld was born. He also said that Liefeld couldn't give him things in the art that previous artists could so he had to adjust the scripts for him. He also noted that he got other things from Liefeld that other artist couldn't give.

Leifeld became even easier to hate because he jumped to Image and got rich really quick.

He became even easier than that to hate when "People" did a couple of pages on him and showed him and his girlfriend roller blading in California.

He became far more likeable when he had to eat crow and go back to Captain America. He became down right loveable when he got thrown off the book.

He was not a bad artist though.