• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battlestar Galactica

589 posts in this topic

Wow, the last episode was intense. I'm really surprised there was more talk about it. Pegasus got rocked by the Cylons.

The last couple episodes have really been major events.

Yeah.

Lee Adama goes from Captain to Major after being shot and at the end of the show he's the commander (that's above colonel I think?) of the Pegasus.

That's the fast track! 27_laughing.gif

Wow, the last episode was intense. I'm really surprised there was more talk about it. Pegasus got rocked by the Cylons.

The last couple episodes have really been major events.

more importantly...Pegsus rocked the Cylons...seeing it go toe to toe with 3 basestars including 2 or 3 nukes and come out alive...and take out 1 of the basestars...that was an impressive display of the power of the new battlestars.

that said...it'll be a sad ep when they do away with it...end of this season or early next.

Battlestar Pegasus, where you can be Commander for up two 2 eps for just one low payment of your life. Commander RedShirt.

Next ep looks good...with the Resurrection Ship gakked, I wonder if they have another, or is this is on Caprica or on the Cylon homeworld...

to be honest sheradon, i hated the new miniseries as i was like how could they do this? I vowed never to watch it. One boring friday night towards the end of first season, i watched one and thought not too bad, then watched the finale the next week. To make a long story short, i bought the uk edition of first season, the m ini series (watched again). I got over the names and watched the whole thing from the beginning. Currently it ranks right behind 24 and Lost on my favorite shows. Just get over the names and you will be ok.

I don't miss an episode of BattleStar Galatica. I just love this show. My wife and I started watching 24 this season and we are on pins and needles waiting for the next episode. 24 is just awesome. I'm going to buy the 1st 4 seasons to catch up on what I've been missing.

I’m pretty much out of the loop with regards to catching shows on the box. I run my own business during the day and buy and sell books evenings and weekends. This ensures that I can never commit to a regularly scheduled show (for fear of missing a vital episode and never having the chance to catch up again), so the missus and I have now fallen into a pattern of waiting for the DVD and watching the show as and when we get a couple of hours together to blast through a few episodes. I simply don’t watch anything on the TV, and few shows make the cut for DVD purchase.

Over the last few years, we have gone through every available episode of The Sopranos, The West Wing, 24, Millennium, X-Files, Alias, Six Feet Under and now…Battlestar Galactica! thumbsup2.gif

This is a real sleeper over here in the UK and I confess to total ignorance up until this Christmas Eve just gone. We’d spent the evening at our local…eating, drinking and being particularly merry…and once we got home, the good wife headed to bed as I sank into the sofa with the remote control in one hand and a frosty one in the other. headbang.gif

After many clicks of the button, I stumbled across what appeared to be a piece of decent Sci-Fi, with excellent production, quality performances from the cast, thoughtful and detailed plotting, more than acceptable special effects, and edge-of-the-seat climaxes.

It turned out to be the Battlestar Galactica mini-series and what I couldn’t figure out the following day is whether it was actually that good, or whether the slightly excessive consumption of the previous evening had played tricks.

I’m glad to say that, having now bought the mini- and the 1st series, this show is even better stone-cold sober! I watched the original and, although making comparisons across the years is difficult, what you can do is make comparisons across peer groups. Back in the day, BG was decent, but wouldn’t have made my top ten shows of the time.

Now, the new BG is, alongside 24 and Weeds, in my top three shows….total enjoyment and an absolute must-see! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I was pleasantly surprised that they have kept the Pegasus in the story rather than it disappearing or being destroyed as in the original series. in the original the Pegasus was only around for two episodes until it was "lost" fighting off some Base Stars and running. And did you see that Apollo was promoted from Major to Commander? Man! Talk about rising in the ranks! he was Major for like what, an episode? Glad to see he got together with the bridge girl. She's a hottie. Wonder how that will effect Starbuck's crush on Apollo? Will her performance slip even further?

I was pleasantly surprised that they have kept the Pegasus in the story rather than it disappearing or being destroyed as in the original series. in the original the Pegasus was only around for two episodes until it was "lost" fighting off some Base Stars and running. And did you see that Apollo was promoted from Major to Commander? Man! Talk about rising in the ranks! he was Major for like what, an episode? Glad to see he got together with the bridge girl. She's a hottie. Wonder how that will effect Starbuck's crush on Apollo? Will her performance slip even further?

The end of the ep before last....when Lee was in sickbay and Dee was sitting with him...it was very interesting watching Kara react to having Dee there and what she was saying.

I know a lot of anti-Lee/Dee shippers....me...i don't care either way....but you can't have a relationship tween characters with rhyming names....she'll have to be Dualla.

RDM has said Pegasus will be around for a while, even if it doesn't play as important a role as it did in this last ep.

I watched the pilot and didn't think much of this, but I have heard alot of people talk highly of it since. I think I need to check it out.

BTW, I rent a DVR (digital video recorder) from my local cable company (COX) and have to say that I honeslty could not live without it. Also, for those that want to watch old TV shows on DVD but do not want to buy them... Netflix is your friend shy.gif

I have watched 8 seasons of Stargate SG1 and 4 seasons of Star Trek Voyager for 17.95 a month rental fee.

• Administrator
I’m pretty much out of the loop with regards to catching shows on the box. I run my own business during the day and buy and sell books evenings and weekends. This ensures that I can never commit to a regularly scheduled show (for fear of missing a vital episode and never having the chance to catch up again), so the missus and I have now fallen into a pattern of waiting for the DVD and watching the show as and when we get a couple of hours together to blast through a few episodes. I simply don’t watch anything on the TV, and few shows make the cut for DVD purchase.

One word. Tivo.

One word. Tivo.

I'll be getting bloody good reception to pick it up clearly in the UK. yeahok.gif

27_laughing.gif

No. Good point. We do have a service called Sky Plus which achieves exactly the same end.

I'd just not have the time to set it.... insane.gif

Probably not something you're inclined to do.. but iTunes DOES sell each episode for download for $1.99

They're also available on the Internet through less legal methods.

Theoretically anybody with a Slingbox that's Tivo'd it could send you the video stream.. but the quality wouldn't be as good as the video download from iTunes. (I have a Slingbox) They'd also have to give you an access code which would allow you access to all their Tivo'd programs (and even watch live TV)

One word. Tivo.

Someone was telling me that some places do not allow DVRs. I had heard Canada was one of them. Any from Canada know for sure?

We have them.

I work for a Cable company that offeres the service, We call it a PVR

Theoretically anybody with a Slingbox that's Tivo'd it could send you the video stream.. but the quality wouldn't be as good as the video download from iTunes. (I have a Slingbox) They'd also have to give you an access code which would allow you access to all their Tivo'd programs (and even watch live TV)

I heard an ad on the radio for Slingbox the other day. How do you like it?

I heard an ad on the radio for Slingbox the other day. How do you like it?

I like it. I use it to stream my Tivo which is in my family room to my home office since I have a first generation Tivo and I hacked it to have 140 hours. (I could get it up higher now since hard drives are so much larger these days (and cheaper!). Since I have a lifetime subscription that's tied to the TiVo box, I haven't upgraded to a networked version or one that has two tuners.

140 hours means my Tivo actually goes back around 6 months (with some programs on there for years)

On my home network, I can get a pretty fast stream (1450Kbps).

To view on an outside internet connection, it's limited by my upstream cable modem speed (384k) but it's not bad. (You just have to watch it in a smaller window.. 320x240)

You can basically watch live tv through your TiVo (with pause, etc.) or watch any program stored on your TiVo. Alternatively, you can hook up video cameras and have videoconferences if you have a second party with the same setup. (You give each other access to your Slingboxes and you basically watch each other's Slingboxes.)