• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of Crowleys in VF with white pages?

37 posts in this topic

Crowley's are nice copies. They aren't freak out perfect like the better pedies out there but I think they are great examples of the books they represent. I have 5 of them myself.

I have a few Crowleys. Not only are they extremely nice but they have history. Unlike most pedigrees which came about through straight collecting, these copies come from a comic insider. Always nice to see someone who not only works in the industry but believes in it as well.

I currently own a Captain Marvel Adventures 131 in 8.0 Crowley. It looks pretty nice, the cover isn't as vibrant as say an Edgar Church but it doesn't exhibit the bleed through like some of that pedigree.

Edit: Here is the scan of it.

1049457-cma_iss_131_fc.jpg

Oh yeah, I am bidding on a few of the Crowleys on Heritage. Probably won't get them but I have to try. grin.gif

1049457-cma_iss_131_fc.jpg.dfcc074147c21692670ee1f12d3d8e19.jpg

I'm not that surprised it went so high. Like you said, it's a really tough book. Probably the pedigree designation helps as well. I've been looking for a copy for over 5 years. I haven't even ever had a shot at buying a copy.

Pep 47 is a really tough book to find, now that being said, the book went for stupid money.

Yes, it seems that some of the early Archies are going for pretty hefty multiples to guide. The nice thing is that the strength seems to be across the board with multiples to guide being received on both non-HG copies and also on raw copies.

To me, that's the sign of a pretty healthy market when you have pricing strength across the board on a particular book. thumbsup2.gif

Does anyone know how many pedigree collections actually have MLJ era Archie comics with Archie on the cover? I think that the Church collection had all of them but my recollection is that most other pedigree collections from the WWII era were comprised mostly of superhero comics instead of humor.

Obviously the Crowley collection has some but I have no idea as to the books from the other pedigress such as Rockford.

If there are not many others, it would make sense that there is so much interest in Crowley books that were in the Heritage auction.

I think this would include only Pep 36, and 41-55 as well as Archie 1-18. I'm not counting Jackpot #4 since it's just an inset picture. To me, the most appealing pedigree issues would be those featuring the Shield and Archie together so that would really only include Pep 36 and 41-49. I exclude Pep 50 since the Shield is only an inset.

I agree there appears to be a dearth of information on pedigree GA Archies. I didn't know that Crowley had them until I saw the Heritage listings. Church definitely contains Archies as does Reilly. I would assume Rockford does since it contains everything from superhero to romance, but I've never seen one. Larson is too early (it ends at Pep 18 per Jon Berk). Anyone else have any info?

Really nice books especially the Fawcett copies! Too bad some of the Fawcett copies have a big stamp on the cover. But still really nice and I believe there are two copies of each Fawcett book in the Crowley collection. There are very, very few Crowley copies with white pages.

There are as many as 3 copies of Fawcett Copies, from what I can tell.

Edit: From what I can tell, the Crowley copy Fawcett's don't exhibit the productions errors that you can find on Church Fawcetts. I think, old Wendell might have been cherry picking his books some.

I recall when the collection came up for sale that the collection list indicated that many books had duplicate copies. I also recall that the collection was severely undergraded and that I didn't look at it first-hand before entering my bid! foreheadslap.gif

The collection is solid, except that the page quality is typically cream to off-white, often tending toward the cream side. I think in time this collection will be very well regarded, due to its provenance and the fact that it boasts many of the highest graded examples of many of the Fawcett books.

Aside from the interesting history of the collection itself, the 4+ year law suit that ensued after the collection was sold (before the Fawcett piece of the collection actually ended up in the purchaser's hands) is quite a story in itself. Unfortunately, because of my relationship with the person that bought the collection, I cannot disclose any of the details. I can say, however, that this drama gave "bad blood" a new meaning, as even the eventual change of possession of the books was to be video-taped.