• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of Crowleys in VF with white pages?

37 posts in this topic

Aside from the interesting history of the collection itself, the 4+ year law suit that ensued after the collection was sold (before the Fawcett piece of the collection actually ended up in the purchaser's hands) is quite a story in itself. Unfortunately, because of my relationship with the person that bought the collection, I cannot disclose any of the details. I can say, however, that this drama gave "bad blood" a new meaning, as even the eventual change of possession of the books was to be video-taped.

I've been told the details myself. What a mess that was. I've only heard one side (presumably the same side you heard), but I certainly didn't like what I was told as to what happened.

I think ANY 8.0 Golden Age book with white pages is AWESOME.

I think any 8.0 GA book with anything better than tan pages is awesome! you're looking at 60+ year old "toys" that were primarily in the hands of kids that trashed them. it still amazes me when I see 9.0+ GA books.

I've been told the details myself. What a mess that was. I've only heard one side (presumably the same side you heard), but I certainly didn't like what I was told as to what happened.

I don't know which side you've heard, or what details you were told. I lived through it, as I am good friends with the collection's purchaser and provided counsel and legal advice throughout the drama. Things went from bad to worse, to downright ridiculous. Of course, a litigator ultimately argued the motions etc. to put closure to the situation, but I doubt he was compensated as I would have structured the compensation plan - on a Crowley book basis.

headbang.gif

There are as many as 3 copies of Fawcett Copies, from what I can tell.

Edit: From what I can tell, the Crowley copy Fawcett's don't exhibit the productions errors that you can find on Church Fawcetts. I think, old Wendell might have been cherry picking his books some.

I've heard from multiple folks on multiple occasions there were 2 copies of each book. Are you saying that there were some with 3 or that there were 3 of each?

Edit: From what I can tell, the Crowley copy Fawcett's don't exhibit the productions errors that you can find on Church Fawcetts. I think, old Wendell might have been cherry picking his books some.

I've heard from multiple folks on multiple occasions there were 2 copies of each book. Are you saying that there were some with 3 or that there were 3 of each?

I started looking to locate Crowley's notably Captain Marvels. I seems like I found 3 copies of certain issues. May 2 or 3 Issues of Captain Marvel Adventures and 2 of Whiz Comics. Hope that makes sense.

I started looking to locate Crowley's notably Captain Marvels. I seems like I found 3 copies of certain issues. May 2 or 3 Issues of Captain Marvel Adventures and 2 of Whiz Comics. Hope that makes sense.

If I understood you, it sounds like you have seen instances of there being 3 copies of certain issues, but in general there were only 2 of each. That wouldn't surprise me.

Aside from the interesting history of the collection itself, the 4+ year law suit that ensued after the collection was sold (before the Fawcett piece of the collection actually ended up in the purchaser's hands) is quite a story in itself. Unfortunately, because of my relationship with the person that bought the collection, I cannot disclose any of the details. I can say, however, that this drama gave "bad blood" a new meaning, as even the eventual change of possession of the books was to be video-taped.

Just doing some Crowley research on the boards today and found this...

"Nostalgic Investment By far the ultimate talking point of the show in my opinion was the unveiling of the Fawcett batch of comics from the Crowley pedigree collection. As already mentioned by members who had the opportunity to view them, most were indeed spectacular & graded between 9.4-9.6, with a few 9.2s. Given the impact this collection would bring to the market, it came as a real shock for me to learn just how devious & greed played a major role in the accumulation of these books. Apparently, BM told a load of BS & convinced the original owner/family that it was highly unlikely that a third party would be willing to meet their asking price & generally low-balled them into signing a legally-binding purchase agreement. When the owner found out, BM refused to back-track & took the owner/family to court & won his claim. Just goes to show how some people would go to any lengths to cheat another human being out of their rightful inheritance. Definitely, a dealer to avoid & one to boycott for the bad name he's bringing to the hobby!!!"

- Borg 7/29/04

I agree there appears to be a dearth of information on pedigree GA Archies. I didn't know that Crowley had them until I saw the Heritage listings. Church definitely contains Archies as does Reilly. I would assume Rockford does since it contains everything from superhero to romance, but I've never seen one. Larson is too early (it ends at Pep 18 per Jon Berk). Anyone else have any info?

Pep Larsons end at #19

Just doing some Crowley research on the boards today and found this...

"Nostalgic Investment By far the ultimate talking point of the show in my opinion was the unveiling of the Fawcett batch of comics from the Crowley pedigree collection. As already mentioned by members who had the opportunity to view them, most were indeed spectacular & graded between 9.4-9.6, with a few 9.2s. Given the impact this collection would bring to the market, it came as a real shock for me to learn just how devious & greed played a major role in the accumulation of these books. Apparently, BM told a load of BS & convinced the original owner/family that it was highly unlikely that a third party would be willing to meet their asking price & generally low-balled them into signing a legally-binding purchase agreement. When the owner found out, BM refused to back-track & took the owner/family to court & won his claim. Just goes to show how some people would go to any lengths to cheat another human being out of their rightful inheritance. Definitely, a dealer to avoid & one to boycott for the bad name he's bringing to the hobby!!!"

- Borg 7/29/04

Who is the dealer?