• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Grade vs. Detailed Description

7 posts in this topic

Just a little temperature taking on the role of CGC in the comic book world of 2006. Show of hands (or make that posts): when buying a book unseen, if you had only two options (1) to be told the CGC grade only or (2) to be given high resolution scans and a fair description of all unseen defects, inlcuding an accurate description of any restoration, which would be more meanigful to you? Let's assume for the moment that you can't get the book's serial number to call for grader's notes, you just have the two options above. Which tells you more what you want to know in deciding on a purchase?

high resolution scans and a fair description of all unseen defects, including an accurate description of any restoration

This would be by far my preference. Of course getting a fair description of all defects is rare. Hence CGC...

high resolution scans and a fair description of all unseen defects, inlcuding an accurate description of any restoration

If its a reputable seller that actually knows the restoration performed... this would be preferable since CGC has a track record of missing restoration, trimming, etc.

Now if the seller doesn't know much about comics (or claims to know little about comics), then I'd prefer for the book to be looked at by a third party like CGC.

Just a little temperature taking on the role of CGC in the comic book world of 2006. Show of hands (or make that posts): when buying a book unseen, if you had only two options (1) to be told the CGC grade only or (2) to be given high resolution scans and a fair description of all unseen defects, inlcuding an accurate description of any restoration, which would be more meanigful to you? Let's assume for the moment that you can't get the book's serial number to call for grader's notes, you just have the two options above. Which tells you more what you want to know in deciding on a purchase?

How about door #3 where you don't do this and instead buy something you can see? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've been disappointed enough to not do this type of purchasing. One sour deal can make up for 10 bargains, and it's hard to maintain a 3-1 ratio, much less a break-even 10-1 ratio.

How about door #3 where you don't do this and instead buy something you can see? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've been disappointed enough to not do this type of purchasing. One sour deal can make up for 10 bargains, and it's hard to maintain a 3-1 ratio, much less a break-even 10-1 ratio.

I tend to agree (right on with the math), and would add that I am at the point that I don't trust most scans, hi-res or not. Regardless of the obvious fact that CGC is not perfect in resto detection, I now value this feature with even greater importance as I now focus on GA and suspect that resto is more common in GA than I thought. Plus the CGC grade reflects flaws I cannot see in a scan.

Most important in a purchase (in order) is:

1) trusted seller

2) CGC graded

3) good scan

I greatly prefer to have all 3