• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction and Multiple Copies of the Same Book

66 posts in this topic

I think Heritage is a net plus for the hobby for many reasons but agree that they're far from perfect. I've also had my share of problems with them. The two that stand out are:

1) The first time I bid in one of their auctions, I placed an absentee bid through ebay (I quickly learned you pay an extra 5% and now bid directly) for an FF1. I won the book then checked the bid history on ebay. I noticed that my ebayid, was listed twice in a row for the top two bids, going right up to my max. I called up and was told I outbid myself which was impossible, since I only placed my absentee bid once and didn't participate in the live auction through ebay. I then sent a few email rants to the higher level people at heritage and refused to pay for the book. Heritage's response, they came down to the lower of my two winning bids and changed the story to a floor bidder outbid my lower bid and it just wasn't recorded by mistake. They threw in free shipping. The obvious problem for the future - when you bid directly on their site there's no audit trail of bidders with ids, like on the ebay live (even if check ebay live results you'll just see a floor bidder notation) so it's just a matter of trust that the last 2 (or more) floor bidders aren't really all you if your max is well-above the final price.

2) I won a bunch of high-grade unslabbed silver age books. Asked heritage to send them to cgc (which they had done for me in the past but they pocket the 20% discount for their time and effort of doing the submission). 5 months later I still hadn't gotten the books back (this was when the lower tier submissions at cgc were woefully late so I was being patient) and was getting worried something was wrong. I sent an email to heritage asking about it since they get the books back from cgc then ship them to you. About a week later I get a large package of books from heritage - all my raw books, never submitted, just sitting around somewhere at Heritage languishing for 5 months until my email. Sent an email to Fred Surley asking for an explanation - no reply.

That all being said, I still spend thousands on their auctions.

All books on Heritage have reserves, and there are scant bargains to be had. However there'll be a fair few RNMs after the event.

Heritage doesn't require reserves and sells lots of books without reserve. Are you saying that this particular auction has no books with reserves?

All books on Heritage have reserves, and there are scant bargains to be had. However there'll be a fair few RNMs after the event.

Not all books on Heritage have reserves. JP`s books, for instance, never have reserves.